Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #1

Check the Wires Behind Your Pegboard - Disappointing Find

Really disappointed at what I found behind the pegboard. Pulled it out to get a look at my overflow hose, per Dutch Star Don's recommendation (I believe I was losing water from the tank). Pics attached of what I found.

A relay on a big loom of wires just dangling. Some sort of control board for a solenoid on the tank dangling (curious what that is, if anyone knows-on the right side of the pic with the bashed up plywood). Wires and coax cables not secured and up against the rotating slide out cross shaft. Ends of the plywood smashed - not sure if they were like that when they put them in, or if they drove them in with a hammer!? And, as Don notes, the ridiculous routing/set-up of the overflow hose.

Last 2 pics are after I cleaned things up. I did not extend the hose, but I was able to secure it with at least some rise to it. We'll see if it does the trick.

I also found a similar deal with wiring up around the generator. A large harness/connector was just dangling up against part of the frame. The wires had actually started to rub, and I'm sure would have worn through over time.

The fit and finish on our Ventana has been excellent - especially the cabinetry. Much of the 12 volt wiring I have looked at was excellent as well. Shocked by this apparent lack of attention to detail, but glad I caught it before any issues arose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	345318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plywood.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	345319  

Name:	Wires on Shaft.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	345320   Click image for larger version

Name:	After 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	345321  

Name:	After 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	345322  
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FYI - The orange and white wires are spare. They run from the pegboard compartment through the half bath electrical cabinet (look between the box and the outside wall), and the other end is in the cabinet above the driver. At least that was where they were in my 2018 MADP.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #3

Assembly line work and attention to detail are incompatible unless senior management says otherwise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Usually you find at least 6-7 spare screws for your tool box!

Wait until you remove the plywood under your bed and do an inspection.....bring your ShopVac.

All joking aside, I would inspect under the bed for motor tightness and there are several large bolts (four 3/4" bolts on each side through the wood frame) that Newmar refuses to se washers on during construction. Those bolts on each side need to be removed and washers added.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #5

Newmar doesn't use wiring harness so each wired item is run separate. This does allow Newmar to have request for changes and additions to their wiring with not having a wire harness. What needs to happen after the wiring is done then they need to go back and using tie wraps and other electrical wire holders clean up the wiring. Have our toilet control box just hanging there on our London Aire behind peg board isn't good for controller. Wiring is an area that could and should be improved.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Usually you find at least 6-7 spare screws for your tool box!

Wait until you remove the plywood under your bed and do an inspection.....bring your ShopVac.

All joking aside, I would inspect under the bed for motor tightness and there are several large bolts (four 3/4" bolts on each side through the wood frame) that Newmar refuses to se washers on during construction. Those bolts on each side need to be removed and washers added.
Been under the bed a few times, and I put lockwashers on my slide motor bolts. It actually was not bad at all down there! Incidentally, I did find four or five screws in the belly behind the pegboard for my collection.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Newmar doesn't use wiring harness so each wired item is run separate. This does allow Newmar to have request for changes and additions to their wiring with not having a wire harness. What needs to happen after the wiring is done then they need to go back and using tie wraps and other electrical wire holders clean up the wiring. Have our toilet control box just hanging there on our London Aire behind peg board isn't good for controller. Wiring is an area that could and should be improved.
Newmar Man
Completely agree. Electrical issues can be a bear to chase down, and the wrong one can leave you stranded.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Been under the bed a few times, and I put lockwashers on my slide motor bolts. It actually was not bad at all down there! Incidentally, I did find four or five screws in the belly behind the pegboard for my collection.
I take that back. I had planned to use lock washers but decided to go blue Loctite instead.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Newmar Man
Here’s the generator harness I mentioned. Forgot I had a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	548E8AED-1828-448F-9CA2-16C845D82F47.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	345333  
Old 10-07-2021, 06:33 AM   #10

Mine was the same way and on top of that the fresh water and black tank rinse line was kinked, run over a piece of angle iron and all chaffed up which I repaired and rerouted.

I have gone through the entire coach, pulled out drawers, back of cabinets, in the basement, engine compartment, generator, under the dash, behind the Telavator and secured wires and plumping. I used countless zip ties.

The best ones I found, because of a knocking noise when shutting off the shower was behind my linen cabinet. It is where the plumbing that feeds the shower and washer are located.

It was a convoluted mess of PEX piping coming together then branched out. None of it was secured, not even the shutoff valves to the washer. It was all just hanging from the shower valve PEX connection.

Newmar's workmanship is absolutely pathetic when is comes to attention to detail in terms of securing wiring and plumbing.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #11

Wow-- your wiring is much better than what I found behind the pegboard. It's a real rats nest. I started out trying to figure out why, after 8 years the cable TV signal to the televator tv and the outside tv quit a couple weeks ago...the other 2 tv's work fine I figured it would be a reasonably easy job to find the routing of the coax and fic the issue.
Newmar provided me with a drawing of what was supposed to have been installed in my coach. Essentially a run from the input in the electric bay, over to the ota/cable box by the passenger seat, back to a 4 way splitter under the sink and then out to the 4 tv's. Well... not even close.

I found a 4 way splitter under the sink, but it only has 2 outputs connected and those are the ones going to the 2 tv's not working. OK-- so now all I have to do is trace that input back to where it should be split off somewhere else. I trace that line and it goes out of the slide onto the ceiling of one of the bays. From there,they have a long length of it coiled up and tied to the frame member, then it goes into/under the plastic wrap on the ceiling. I thought it might have gone into the pegboard bay, so I took off the pegboard and found the mess in there. Unfortunately, no splitter, but I did find the 3 coax's ( 2 satellite and one cable) feeding into the bedroom TV. Their origin is also undetermined at this point as they also disappear into the ceiling of the bay and under the plastic. I'll mess around with it a bit more, but since I have that coax identified for the BR tv and I know it works, I'll probably just put a splitter in it and run a new cable to the splitter under the sink feeding the televator and outside tv . In my exploration, I'm finding screws and just junk that was tossed into areas that they figured would never been seen... just sloppy
Old 10-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Wow-- your wiring is much better than what I found behind the pegboard. It's a real rats nest. I started out trying to figure out why, after 8 years the cable TV signal to the televator tv and the outside tv quit a couple weeks ago...the other 2 tv's work fine I figured it would be a reasonably easy job to find the routing of the coax and fic the issue.
Newmar provided me with a drawing of what was supposed to have been installed in my coach. Essentially a run from the input in the electric bay, over to the ota/cable box by the passenger seat, back to a 4 way splitter under the sink and then out to the 4 tv's. Well... not even close.

I found a 4 way splitter under the sink, but it only has 2 outputs connected and those are the ones going to the 2 tv's not working. OK-- so now all I have to do is trace that input back to where it should be split off somewhere else. I trace that line and it goes out of the slide onto the ceiling of one of the bays. From there,they have a long length of it coiled up and tied to the frame member, then it goes into/under the plastic wrap on the ceiling. I thought it might have gone into the pegboard bay, so I took off the pegboard and found the mess in there. Unfortunately, no splitter, but I did find the 3 coax's ( 2 satellite and one cable) feeding into the bedroom TV. Their origin is also undetermined at this point as they also disappear into the ceiling of the bay and under the plastic. I'll mess around with it a bit more, but since I have that coax identified for the BR tv and I know it works, I'll probably just put a splitter in it and run a new cable to the splitter under the sink feeding the televator and outside tv . In my exploration, I'm finding screws and just junk that was tossed into areas that they figured would never been seen... just sloppy
This might make you feel better...Here's a shot of the wiring & plumbing jumble from the belly of our Grand Design Momentum 5th wheel (sold in favor of the Ventana).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Manny Wiring.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	345353  
Old 10-08-2021, 06:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
This might make you feel better...Here's a shot of the wiring & plumbing jumble from the belly of our Grand Design Momentum 5th wheel (sold in favor of the Ventana).
Looks like what I found behind the pegboard !
Old 10-08-2021, 07:19 AM   #14

Thanks to all for the Info.I am now on a quest to find and fix!
purrin along is online now   Reply With Quote