Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Based on this string I plan on pulling the pegboard in the first few weeks after delivery of our 2022 to do a clean up and chafe check.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #16

The wiring or goofy plumbing did not bother me that much. The mouse nest condo that was in there was a different story.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
The wiring or goofy plumbing did not bother me that much. The mouse nest condo that was in there was a different story.
Are you referring to my picture? That is actually a pile of splintered plywood I tore off the end of the bashed board...
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Are you referring to my picture? That is actually a pile of splintered plywood I tore off the end of the bashed board...
What damaged the plywood?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #19

I am going to start a new RV company and bring quality and engineering to the industry coupled with real innovation!
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
What damaged the plywood?
Bill
It looks like it was either damaged when placed or someone had to hammer it into position.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:53 AM   #21

Quote:
No. That is what I found behind my pegboard.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
No. That is what I found behind my pegboard.
Ouch...Something I have always feared.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Ouch...Something I have always feared.
Was probably there when we bought the coach 3 years ago. I found the first one when I removed the Sony sub woofer from under the kitchen sink. The whole sub woofer was full of mouse nest material.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #24

Quote:
It looks like it was either damaged when placed or someone had to hammer it into position.
My plywood was also damaged on the edge. Looked like it was hammered into place.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Behind the dreaded pagboard

Ok, behind my pegboard I found.....the wet bay floor completely rotten away, to the point where I could easily push a screwdriver through it with little to no effort in multiple locations. Apparently back in the day....(2002) the bay floor was made of OSB. Now the factory assures me, it is 3/8 marine plywood. I could not find it that thin so I rebuilt with true 1/2 marine plywood with new insulation and sheet metal skin from Newmar. The worst rot was apparently around the hole for the overflow drain. Could not find ANY indication of any type of sealer around the hole through the deck.put a steel bushing and caulk through the floor and will see how it does. As far as the busted plywood mentioned by OP, Mine was cut to narrow and was slipping out from under the black tank, I repositioned it and , yes hammered in some wedges to keep it there!
TnRdutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #26

There is a balance of methods used in construction for strength, durability, cost in materials and labor and cosmetics.

If the wires were all nicely bundled in places you can't ordinarily see, you would pay a lot more for the RV and it wouldn't operate any different or for any longer.
These rigs are semi custom made. Harnesses are for vehicles that are clones as the harness is made before the vehicle is assembled.

Plywood hammered: Same as above. If you aren't intended to see it, that's how it is put in place for efficiency. Watch a framer build a house. Lots of hammering of pieces to get them to fit. But it's covered by drywall so "who cares".

Anyway, sure it would be nicer to remove a panel and show all is been put together with TLC and love. But the downside is cost. The manufacturer is making that decision to keep cost down.

so for those of us that remove panels and want to see things tidy, go grab some tie wraps and secure the wires together. For the 90% that don't remove panels, they don't see it, don't care and glad they didn't pay for the details that "don't count".

Wet plywood - that's a problem. OSB in places where water tanks are is a bad idea for cost cutting. Even if no leaks, tanks sweat. Glad to hear they now use marine plywood. But if leaks, that's the real problem that needs to be resolved.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
There is a balance of methods used in construction for strength, durability, cost in materials and labor and cosmetics.

If the wires were all nicely bundled in places you can't ordinarily see, you would pay a lot more for the RV and it wouldn't operate any different or for any longer.
These rigs are semi custom made. Harnesses are for vehicles that are clones as the harness is made before the vehicle is assembled.

Plywood hammered: Same as above. If you aren't intended to see it, that's how it is put in place for efficiency. Watch a framer build a house. Lots of hammering of pieces to get them to fit. But it's covered by drywall so "who cares".

Anyway, sure it would be nicer to remove a panel and show all is been put together with TLC and love. But the downside is cost. The manufacturer is making that decision to keep cost down.

so for those of us that remove panels and want to see things tidy, go grab some tie wraps and secure the wires together. For the 90% that don't remove panels, they don't see it, don't care and glad they didn't pay for the details that "don't count".

Wet plywood - that's a problem. OSB in places where water tanks are is a bad idea for cost cutting. Even if no leaks, tanks sweat. Glad to hear they now use marine plywood. But if leaks, that's the real problem that needs to be resolved.
It's not about nice and tidy. It's about taking an extra 2 minutes to at least ensure the wires are not going to get chaffed and/or wrap around a rotating shaft.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #28

Quote:
It's not about nice and tidy. It's about taking an extra 2 minutes to at least ensure the wires are not going to get chaffed and/or wrap around a rotating shaft.
I understand your point as a DIY'r. The OEM knows a heck of a lot better about "what makes a difference" in C's / 100 (or 1000) than you or I.
And it's never 2 minutes....
Anyway, mute point. It would be nice, but there is a cost. And certainly there is slipshod work but generally it works as intended. High demand and low laborer availability makes this worse.