Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation Check your GEN coolant levels

A few of us here, not naming names, certainly not me, haven't been doing good at checking the coolant level in the GEN. Of course check your oil too. Cummins/Onan did a great job here at the balloon fiesta topping some of us off, maybe getting us above the MIN level, but of course that wasn't me too!

So check your GEN fluids peeps, you may be surprised. Get the diluted 50/50 premixed from Cummins.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ok Neil, which version of the coolant is what is needed? I have sticker on back of coach, telling me which type of coolant to get, it is as descriptive as nothing. I believe the manual said to not use OAT, but don't have one in front of me, so cannot quote it. Cummins does not allow us to download a spare one and keep on PC, they want you to purchase it. Have also not checked Freightliner site to see if that has downloadable one. Still looking into it. It is a good idea to check engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant about an hour after you arrive at your last stop/campground for the day. At least every other day is most likely ok. I try to check genset fluids weekly, and make note of the hours on the meter since I am fast coming upon 1st oil change for it. That is required at 50 hours of use. Think I'm at 45 or so. After that one, will do annual service on oil/filter and fuel filter every other year service interval. That worked fine for last coach, which we had for 11 years.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #3

Wow glad I have a gas gen that doesn’t need coolant. Heck it doesn’t even have a filter. Just oil to change. One less thing for this old geezer to remember to do.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #4

The generator uses a regular ethylene/glycol antifreeze, just like your car.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Watch for leaks in the expansion tank!

Onan made a habit of ovetightening these screws and splitting the plastic tank.
It will leak right on top of the generator unit, and can destroy it as well !!
Old 10-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Wow glad I have a gas gen that doesn’t need coolant. Heck it doesn’t even have a filter.
Yeah, it will last 1/8th of the life a well maintained, water cooled, diesel generator will.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Ok Neil, which version of the coolant is what is needed? I have sticker on back of coach, telling me which type of coolant to get, it is as descriptive as nothing. I believe the manual said to not use OAT, but don't have one in front of me, so cannot quote it. Cummins does not allow us to download a spare one and keep on PC, they want you to purchase it. Have also not checked Freightliner site to see if that has downloadable one. Still looking into it. It is a good idea to check engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant about an hour after you arrive at your last stop/campground for the day. At least every other day is most likely ok. I try to check genset fluids weekly, and make note of the hours on the meter since I am fast coming upon 1st oil change for it. That is required at 50 hours of use. Think I'm at 45 or so. After that one, will do annual service on oil/filter and fuel filter every other year service interval. That worked fine for last coach, which we had for 11 years.
You can get the coolant at a Cummins/Onan service center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	263628  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Also do not forget to clean radiator. Mine is on the bottom of generator and gets very dirty with dirt and grime.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yeah, it will last 1/8th of the life a well maintained, water cooled, diesel generator will.
No argument there other than I’ve owned 20 year old mh’s and the orig gen still going strong. Don’t plan on owning this one long enough to matter.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Ok Neil, which version of the coolant is what is needed? I have sticker on back of coach, telling me which type of coolant to get, it is as descriptive as nothing. I believe the manual said to not use OAT, but don't have one in front of me, so cannot quote it. Cummins does not allow us to download a spare one and keep on PC, they want you to purchase it. .

If all you want is the info on your PC, just take a pic of it and save the jpeg on your PC.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote