Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #1

Checking out canyon star 3920 toyhaler.

I am currently dealing on a 2013 canyon star 3920 toy hauler,its on a F53 Ford chassis with V-10 gas power.I am looking for some input on this or a similar unit(likes/dislikes, reliability,fuel milage,etc). It seems to me that this is a lot of motorhome for gas power but it appears to be the only game in town from Newmar. From what we could see we really liked the quality/features(way better than the damon outlaw),are we right or did we miss something? We would consider a clean used unit if it is semi close to Pa. By the way we are not new to RVing currently have a 25 ft.1996 Fleetwood Flair(good unit but its a little small + i am tired of dragging a trailer). Any help/input will be greatly appreciated. Capt Crabby.
captcrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been kicking around the 3940. I'm not worried about the length on the Ford as the carrying capacity is not bad for it's size and I'm sure it is geared for the weight. We have 36' now and it's fine on the Ford. We only get 6.5 to 8.5 mpg and mostly in the low mid 7 range. I would like to find out what the over hang on the rear end is. My other thought is, it seems a little over priced by the time we get the extras piled on. My guess maybe $10K to $12K over.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

I know a man that has one that is about a 2010 year model. He had a lot of trouble with the back door/ ramp. Took him awhile to fix the hinges to where it is sturdy enough.
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the V10 in my 37' Canyon Star and it has plenty of power for most situations but you won't win any races on a mountain grade. I have averaged about 7.5 mpg towing an SUV and would think you would see similar results with the 3920. IMO, the Canyon Star is one of the best gas coaches built.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrabby View Post
I am currently dealing on a 2013 canyon star 3920 toy hauler,its on a F53 Ford chassis with V-10 gas power.I am looking for some input on this or a similar unit(likes/dislikes, reliability,fuel milage,etc). It seems to me that this is a lot of motorhome for gas power but it appears to be the only game in town from Newmar. From what we could see we really liked the quality/features(way better than the damon outlaw),are we right or did we miss something? We would consider a clean used unit if it is semi close to Pa. By the way we are not new to RVing currently have a 25 ft.1996 Fleetwood Flair(good unit but its a little small + i am tired of dragging a trailer). Any help/input will be greatly appreciated. Capt Crabby.
I have a 2012 Canyon Star 3920 with around 4500 miles on it now and we have been pleased with it. I have 3 AC units and had to have the center one replaced under warranty. We have traveled through New Mexico and Colorado and did not have any real problems with mountains, just don't get in a hurry.
This my first RV so I do not have prior experience to compare to but again I have been pleased so far. I carry my Harley Ultra Classic in the garage, we have the model with the two bunk beds in the garage. We do not have the extra bathroom in the garage, that would have been nice but would have taken more space away from the garage.
I would prefer to have two recliners instead of the couch as viewing the TV from the couch is not very easy or comfortable.

The passageway to the bathroom is very narrow when the slides are in, and of course to get to the garage when the slides are in means crawling over the bed.

I wanted something comfortable that I could take the bike in without pulling a trailer and this has worked out very well for me. I have not pulled a toad yet, we just take the bike for running around.

Good luck with your decision, I would buy this RV again if I were starting over.

Chris
NJ5N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #6

80,000 miles on the Allstar. Similiar floorplan, very functional. Make sure you order one with all the mods you need/want.

Go to picasa album below and check out mods to "Newmar AllStar".
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Capt to the forum.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for the coach your interested in.
The Brochure will give weights, tank sizes etc,etc.
We have other owners on forum with different CA models.
Newmar has dropped the making of the Allstar mid engine DP but if you could fine a used it may make you a happy camper. They have appeared on used market lately.
Owners do not want to part with them.
ATME Owners Guide
I owned the older Ford chassis's and they were not a problem in mountains the newer Ford F-53 has been upgraded for the RV INDUSTRY and is not the older Ford truck chassis.

Good luck in your hunt and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Just picked up the 3940 in December. Rig runs around the same weight. Towed a toad
behind through up state New York mountains with no problems. I have some pics posted on another thread. Let me know if you have any questions.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #9

We were originally looking for a toy hauler as well. We looked at both the Outlaw and the Canyon Star 3920. We were amazed at the lack of quality for the price in the Outlaw so when we went to look at the 3920 we were not expecting much. We were wrong. What a difference. The 3920 is leaps and bounds ahead of the Outlaw. Much better built coach. We eventually decided that we didn't want to give up the living space required to own a toy hauler and I just couldn't get over the gas V-10. I know there are lots of satisfied gas owners but I just couldn't get past it. Plus it's a niche market for both buying and selling. We decided on a 2008 Damon Tuscany and we just pull the enclosed trailer. If I HAD to buy a toy hauler though, it would have been the 3920. Hands down.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #10

Boy you folks have been a lot of help!!!! Just trying to decide, i messed up about a year & half ago and passed up an All Star 4253 should have pulled the tirgger!!!Anyone know of one for sale? I don't want to make another mistake!! Thanks all. Capt Crabby.
captcrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
They are showing up like I said people growing out of toys with kids gone and buying newer Newmars.
You will need a 2008 with CD for that riding experience but coach in itself is a experience with the mid-engine setup.
Good luck have fun.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrabby View Post
Boy you folks have been a lot of help!!!! Just trying to decide, i messed up about a year & half ago and passed up an All Star 4253 should have pulled the tirgger!!!Anyone know of one for sale? I don't want to make another mistake!! Thanks all. Capt Crabby.
Send me an email-there was one with low miles for sale in the Carolinas for under 100k. Dave
Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great to see the owner pride in this thread. If anyone is interested, please post some of that pride here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

I personally would love to see some more from the 3920 crowd and I am sure that it would be a source for those looking to buy one of these versatile RV's.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
CBQ

3920 Toy Hauler

I have a 2012 3920. We cook at BBQ contests with it - mostly in fields, so it's like dry camping. In our first year we put 10,000 miles on it and cooked 17 contests. We have about 1,300 pounds of gear in the garage, and thanks to it being a toy hauler we avoided towing for most of the season. Contests can be crowded locations, so not having to tow a cargo trailer has been really fantastic.

Fully loaded with my BBQ gear, full water and gas, we weight in at 24,400 pounds, well under the GVWR. (Front axle is the closest to the limit, only about 600 pounds under it's 9k max.) We get around 7 MPG.

Our initial defect list:

1) Bathroom fixture had to be re-glued

After the first year:

1) Replaced a broken bolt in the step
2) Fixed a window crank in the garage

That's pretty much it - except a small chassis problem (below). I read the stories on here from people that plan a "camping trip" back to the factory just before their warranty runs out. That was not my experience - the build quality is fantastic. I was hunting around for things to fix before the Newmar warranty expired, and I couldn't find much. It was a big step up from the Damon Daybreak it replaced, and I would buy a Newmar again in a minute.

When I was looking, a used Allstar was a rare sighting, but if you saw one at a good price, it would certainly be worth a look.

The V10 has plenty of power, but it's designed to rev at high RPMs when climbing, so it can be noisy on the hills. (Quieter than my Daybreak though) The 5Star tune might help. I haven't tried that yet. I'm tempted but don't want to do anything to mess with the chassis warranty, given my "small issue":

At 4,200 miles, while climbed a hill, a valve in the number 10 cylinder snapped off, dropped into the cylinder, and destroyed the piston, damaged the head, and scarred the cylinder wall. The engine was destroyed. That's a Ford problem, not Newmar, and Ford did put in a new engine at no cost to me other than the 5 weeks I lost in the middle of the summer waiting for it.

My RV dealer has sold hundred of RVs with this engine, and they say it's the first one they have seen this happen to. I think it's just bad luck on my part. The second engine now has more miles on it than the first one, and it's doing fine.

So overall I'm pleased - I think my engine issues are not common. When the engine isn't tearing itself to shreds, it's fine. Smooth, reasonably quiet except when climbing, plenty of power. Yes, at 13' high and 40' long it's a big RV for a gasser. Most people assume it's a diesel pusher just based on the size and the look.
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote