Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #1

Checking your slide out motor attachment

We were Quartzsite at the NKK "Gathering" and one of our Newmar owners had a lot of damage to his slide out motor and the frame were the motor attached. The problem was caused by the motor coming lose and then damaging the metal supports for the motor. The damage was so bad it completely let the slide come out when he was driving. His locking arms would not work and since I had the remote slide out control box from Newmar I was able to lock his lock arms so he could travel. Today I decided to check the slide out motor attachment on our Essex. The big slide motor was close to coming detached and all 4 bolts were at least 5 or more turns from being tight. I too was about to have damage done on the slide. Checked the rest of the slides and all motor bolts were lose. I am glad when we got home that I said maybe I should check the slide out motor bolts on our coach. Would recommend all Newmar owners check the slide out motor bolts soon and maybe once a year. Tom 04 Essex
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the tip TOM another item to add to the check list for this spring, when ever it shows up.
Road vibration can loosen up many items in these coach's, electrical connections is a good one also in load centers, transfer switch's, fuse panels for 12v systems and ground cables to chassis frame for a few.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks Tom! When I get the coach back from Newmar (in for sidewall replacement) I'll make sure to check.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Hi Tom and thanks! I have an 04 Essex as well; I know where the front motors are but where are the rear slide out motors located?
04Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The bedroom slide it maybe under your bed and wardrobe slide under draw section maybe.
The bed system may look like this. Go to the bottom of page.
This is the Newmar slide spec.
More info on slides in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #6

As "007" says the bedroom slide motor is under the bed on the right side. Lift up the cover and the slide out assembly is there. I couldn't get to smaller slide in the bed room so for right now will see. All 3 other slide motors were lose.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the heads up Tom
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #8

Ok cool, thanks Tom and 007; getting the coach ready for Sturgis this year so I'll definitely
check this out. Can't imagine the damage can be done if these come loose and the slide out comes out going down the road! I feel bad for your friend there Beast
04Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out