Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
chk eng - no faults???

Recently purchased an 05 Dutch Star. Beautiful coach and only one problem has come up. Perhaps someone out there has had a similar situation and could help. After about 4 hours on our first trip the Chk Eng light came on - I freaked and ended up at a dealership 100 miles away with towing nightmares. The onboard diasg. said no faults. Then next morning the service tech did a computer check and it also showed no history of faults or current faults. Yesterday when it was 5 hours cold I started up and the light and buzzer came on with the engine. Fluids are fine - Gauges are fine - it runs great!!! Anyone have a similar situation or hints. Seems like a bothersome random pain. thanks
tnsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #2

Yes, but the faults show, and Cummins says they are "phantom", and not to worry. However, when my "check engine" light/alarm come on I stop, shut the engine and 10 seconds later start the engine, and no more check engine/alarm (for a while, anyway). They tell me there is a difference in the faults, and the soft faults (which are phantom) and the hard faults which are not, are things you "learn" about your coach as you get older and grayer.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Check your coolant level with a "stick check". Many times the sight gauge gives a bad reading. This was myproblem and now when I check coolant level I stick check.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsteele View Post
Recently purchased an 05 Dutch Star. Beautiful coach and only one problem has come up. Perhaps someone out there has had a similar situation and could help. After about 4 hours on our first trip the Chk Eng light came on - I freaked and ended up at a dealership 100 miles away with towing nightmares. The onboard diasg. said no faults. Then next morning the service tech did a computer check and it also showed no history of faults or current faults. Yesterday when it was 5 hours cold I started up and the light and buzzer came on with the engine. Fluids are fine - Gauges are fine - it runs great!!! Anyone have a similar situation or hints. Seems like a bothersome random pain. thanks
If it's any help, I can't help, but have had the same problem... does that help?

Here is where we discussed the problem:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/stuc...ng-108144.html

It seems several of us have had the problem, but haven't found a solid answer.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tnsteele,
2X on what Ronnie posted. It is an easy check to do. Get something like a metal coat hanger or long thin piece of wood. Put it in the expansion tank. That will tell you what the real coolant level is.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

coolant level fault will show up. The light will reset itself when it sees level ,but the fault will be stored in the ECM. I've never seen a "fantom fault" If the check engine lite comes on and goes off, there's a code stored or something is going wrong with your wiring. If your battery voltage is low on start, you will get an alarm. But it is stored as a low bat fault. Did the mechanic use Cummins Insite to check code? If not, don't trust it. I've seen mechanics use other software and it's close, but no cigar.

Insite will show the code and at exactly the time it threw it.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have had the 'check engine' fault light on 09 335 Pete 10 minutes after doing my DOT pretrip and when I stopped and shut it down, could find nothing wrong. Called dealer and he asked if I was climbing or descending a grade? Hmmm, "yep 8% up the mountain by my house". He replied "add coolant, level is right at the sensor." Next service it showed no code. Now I keep it topped off and it hasn't happen again.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
coolant level fault will show up. The light will reset itself when it sees level ,but the fault will be stored in the ECM. I've never seen a "fantom fault" If the check engine lite comes on and goes off, there's a code stored or something is going wrong with your wiring. If your battery voltage is low on start, you will get an alarm. But it is stored as a low bat fault. Did the mechanic use Cummins Insite to check code? If not, don't trust it. I've seen mechanics use other software and it's close, but no cigar.

Insite will show the code and at exactly the time it threw it.
The Cummins "computer" will store and display fault codes that may or may not be found with other "computers". I have had a sensor go bad and a "generic" computer didn't find any codes, but the Cummins computer did.

Also, a "check engine" light and buzzer is not a cause for panic - more something that should be looked into at the next chance available. (Pressing the buttons a few times on your trip computer will shut that buzzer off) A "stop engine" light and buzzer is a whole different animal -- when that goes off it's time to ease to the right shoulder and possibly make use of your towing insurance.
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote