Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

City Water Hook Up vs. Water Pump

Ok guys some say there is no such thing as a dumb question however this may be one.

Myself and the DW usually have taken just quick 2 to 3 days trips with a full fresh water tank when we leave home base and we have never had to add water. Soon we will be leaving for an extended 7 day trip and although I'll have the fresh water tank full when we leave obviously we will be using more water than a tank full. My question, I think I have read somewhere when hooked up to city water that the water pump does need to be activated while taking a shower or using the wash machine. How exactly does that work assuming water pressure coming from city water is less than 60 psi or a regulatory device(which I have). Can some please give me some advice if this is true. Thank you all and safe travels, David
NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
City Water Hook Up vs. Water Pump

Unless that is something new. You should not need to run the pump when connected to city water.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have found our pump to have better pressure than most city water. Ours as well has the auto fill feature so when we are about to take showers or use washer we turn that auto fill on to keep tanks 2/3 to full.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Unless that is something new. You should not need to run the pump when connected to city water.
So question, would you just turn on city water while using an abundant amount of water then shut it off after the tank fills, then vice versa? I guess I am reading into this that there would be enough pressure in the tank or system to shower and nurse wash machine without pump help?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
We have found our pump to have better pressure than most city water. Ours as well has the auto fill feature so when we are about to take showers or use washer we turn that auto fill on to keep tanks 2/3 to full.
So in other words you all use your automatic shutoff after 2/3 is full the water stops entering the tank until once again it's activiated to fill the tank again?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

If you get a pressure regulator that can be adjusted set it at 50psi and you will get better pressure In your rig without risking the plumbing. Otherwise we keep the pump on in low water pressure situations on city water. Some new rigs are adding an auto fill feature for your tank fill.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #7

If you use your pump it takes the water from the fresh water tank. If you use city with the valve in the city water it uses water from the hydrant. Depending on climate I will use either one but not both at the same time. That is how mine works. 2015 London Aire

Steve
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless you don't have a water hookup at you rv site, why carry around up to 700 lbs of water? I fill mine just b over c 1/4 tank, just for the traveling portion.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
If you use your pump it takes the water from the fresh water tank. If you use city with the valve in the city water it uses water from the hydrant. Depending on climate I will use either one but not both at the same time. That is how mine works. 2015 London Aire

Steve
I need to check that out because I am sure I have a city water hook up but can't find where it would be. I know I have the hose real hook up which fills the tank, then the black tank rinse but as far as the actual city water hook up not so sure...
Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #10

The hose reel is where the water goes in for both pump or city water. There is a valve to switch between the two.
Steve
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
Unless you don't have a water hookup at you rv site, why carry around up to 700 lbs of water? I fill mine just b over c 1/4 tank, just for the traveling portion.
I don't blame you for that way of thinking I have just heard using water from few places we have been are on well water and didn't want to use that water in our system even though we have a water filter..
Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
The hose reel is where the water goes in for both pump or city water. There is a valve to switch between the two.
Steve
Got it. Therefore I assume when water is not in use the system does not allow water to enter the tank or any faucets unless turned on?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWMARDS3724 View Post
Got it. Therefore I assume when water is not in use the system does not allow water to enter the tank or any faucets unless turned on?
You better get a pressure regulator for the hose.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
In your wet bay with the water hose there will be a valve. They can be labeled in different ways but it switches between filling tank with the hose or directing the water to all your fittings in the coach. The valve is usually left in in the non-fill mode. This will allow the hose to supply coach or pump out of the tank.

Btw there is always a long standing debate on how much water to carry. It really comes down to personal preference as long as you are not weight restricted. We always leave with full tank of fresh water.

Tags
water, water pump