Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #1

Clamping hoses on Summer Loop Oasis pump

When installing a new Summer Loop Oasis pump do both of the hoses need to be clamped, even that little short hose that comes in from the top? From the pictures I've seen it almost looks like this very short hose wouldn't have room to clamp the hose shut.

Or will clamping the longer hose that comes in from the front end suffice in order to not lose any fluid?

Am going to have to find someone that's willing to climb back into the storage compartment to do this for me, as I called my dealer today to do the repair and was told they are taking work orders for September now. There will go any summer traveling for me if I can't find a service repairman.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
When installing a new Summer Loop Oasis pump do both of the hoses need to be clamped, even that little short hose that comes in from the top? From the pictures I've seen it almost looks like this very short hose wouldn't have room to clamp the hose shut.

Or will clamping the longer hose that comes in from the front end suffice in order to not lose any fluid?

Am going to have to find someone that's willing to climb back into the storage compartment to do this for me, as I called my dealer today to do the repair and was told they are taking work orders for September now. There will go any summer traveling for me if I can't find a service repairman.
Both hoses have two clamps each, and they are strong ones to boot! More then likely you'll replace both the hoses anyway, depending on if they are stuck to the pump itself over time. Both of mine were so I just added new 1/2" inner diameter hoses that I cut to size.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #3

You will only have to put a hose clamp on the 1/2Ē hose that comes into the
inlet portion of the pump or that would be the right side as you are looking at the pump. The hose going straight up is the outlet as you will see with the arrow on the one way check valve.
You will lose some fluid because there will be some inside the pump and a little in the line that you clamp off. Have a small cup to catch some fluid and some shop towels. It is a very easy job but, a very uncomfortable and tight space to work in.
Itís also not a bad idea to buy a foot of 1/2Ē heater hose that you can cut to size just in case you have to replace a hose.
Summer loop pump is the pump on the left side in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77D43E62-0D65-438E-9D95-122EF6BE089D.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	332350  
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry I misunderstood your question. Clamping down, (pinching,) on the input hose, the longer one will be necessary to retain the fluid flow. I purchased a hose pincher clamp from Amazon, a metal one and it did "just OK". Others have used a plastic one and felt it did well for them.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #5

How much fluid lose would I have in case the longer hose has to be replaced?
Another suggestion for anyone who has done this replacement. Assuming the slideout trays are left in place, which way works the best for a job requiring difficult work positions? Pull the tray from behind the Oasis out to the passenger side then either pull the full through tray out to the drivers side or also to the passenger side?
The last time the pump was replaced the mobil serviceman pulled the either way tray out to the drivers side then crawled in from the passenger side and worked over behind the Oasis unit. Either way sounds pretty strenuious, but wondered which way is the best, from all the experiences.

Am going to need help from a RV unexperienced mechanic so all the advice I can give will help this person.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have a pull tray in the last bay next to the pegboard door? That is the bay to go into from the passenger side, unscrew the grey cloth covered divider from the back of the oasis where the pump is. At the time I did it, I didn't have a pull tray in that bay so I just crawled in on my stomach, removed the back wood separator, removed the back of the Oasis with the pump and worked from there.

Not much fluid loss as long as you pinch the long hose. You'll lose fluid from the pump and short hose only.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Oasis Pumps

I removed slide out tray in front of pegboard and just payed on my stomach to do the pumps. My old pumps where stuck to the original hose. I have a spring clamp pliers kit, pulled down clamps and cut with razor knife to make hose removal easier. Then with my hose cutter I installed new 1/2 heater hose. While in there I did all 3 pumps and also replaced my Oasis Reservoir tank. As that was my culprit of loss of suction to pumps. No more suction straw in tank as it pulls straight from bottom.
I did not take a finished picture as I was famished when job was completed and forgot!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	58A6A916-1AF3-4153-AD47-39B37C5A6E7E.jpg
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	332464   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4B9275A-DAB3-40C8-909C-B2814BD89360.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	332465  

Name:	45937758-309B-4EE8-9305-7985C46B3A54.jpg
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	332466  
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #8

How much fluid will be lost during replacing the longer hose?
Old 06-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
How much fluid will be lost during replacing the longer hose?
Less then 8 oz.

I just cut off the tip of the long hose where it was connected to the pump and put the same hose back on it, didn't really cause any kinks. I did put a new short top hose on the pump though.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
You will only have to put a hose clamp on the 1/2Ē hose that comes into the
inlet portion of the pump or that would be the right side as you are looking at the pump. The hose going straight up is the outlet as you will see with the arrow on the one way check valve.
You will lose some fluid because there will be some inside the pump and a little in the line that you clamp off. Have a small cup to catch some fluid and some shop towels. It is a very easy job but, a very uncomfortable and tight space to work in.
Itís also not a bad idea to buy a foot of 1/2Ē heater hose that you can cut to size just in case you have to replace a hose.
Summer loop pump is the pump on the left side in the photo.

Will 12" of new hose be enough for both of the hoses that have to be taken off the pump? Or just enough for the longer hose?
Old 06-18-2021, 03:47 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Will 12" of new hose be enough for both of the hoses that have to be taken off the pump? Or just enough for the longer hose?
Nope, not for both. I believe the longer hose is 12" if not more.

Two examples from Amazon, I bought the top one. Both are 6' long, way more then you'll need but one is 12.99 and the other is 8.49 so neither will break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Heater-Inside.../dp/B06XX71S7T

https://www.amazon.com/FlexFab-Silic.../dp/B07X5NWGRR
Old 06-18-2021, 06:06 AM   #12

Heater hose is fairly inexpensive. Go to NAPA and buy a couple of feet just to be safe. I used a heat gun to warm up the hose. They slid right off so, I didnít need to cut or replace any hoses.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
When I went to three auto parts stores, they didn't carry in stock 1/2" heater hose so call them first before you waste your time. If you have Amazon prime you can get it the next day or two.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One think I want to add. When I replaced my Summer Loop pump the first time, (yes Iíve replaced it twice, and yes it was a new style both times) ☹️.

When it was time to gather supplies I purchased worm drive clamps and mentioned to one of the ITR guys I was going to use them he stressed the importance of NOT using them, only you the originals or replacements of the same type.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose, oasis, pump