Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #1

Clarion NX501 update issues/process

I decided to update the map in my builtin Clarion NX501 in our 2013 DS.
Went to naviextras website which had me download the naviextras toolbax application. Went back to Naviextra website and purchased the updated map. Per instructions, went back to the toolbox application to download the map-- it said I needed to upgrade software, so I followed the instructions and did the download, took the card back to the coach and inserted it, powered on, took it out, came back home to get the map. Now it says validating Device Content, please wait. After 20-30 minutes, still the same, so I closed down the application. Started it back up and now is says again to upgrade the software, so I did.... then tried to get the map again, it says upgrade the software.... something is not right. I called Clarion, they said that Naviextras is a different company and I need to deal with them, but they have not responded to trouble tickets nor can I find a support telephone #....... anyone been able to do a map update successfully, if so, how ? Thanks
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Subscribing

I've had the same run around with my 2014 Harley-Davidson nav. It also uses the Naviextras site for map upgrades.

I haven't tried my 2015 Ventana but after reading your experience, I'm doubtful.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

Also having trouble with mine. Paid for upgrade and downloaded onto mini sd card. Plugged it in and goes nowhere ! Got frustrated and just left it for now.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Reverse the charge on your credit card and you may get a better response from the vendor once accounting inquires as to what is going on with customer service. Just make sure you document the time and number of calls made as well as any email contact.

rg

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
Reverse the charge on your credit card and you may get a better response from the vendor once accounting inquires as to what is going on with customer service. Just make sure you document the time and number of calls made as well as any email contact.

rg

Jim
That's on the list-- just waiting for the charge to move from pending to complete on AMEX - usually takes a few days
Old 10-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

Just thought I'd provide an update-- still not able to get the maps installed. I've been working with naviextra people, which is extremely frustrating. They are in Hungary and will not provide support via phone, so everything goes via email. Sometimes it takes them a week to respond. They have had me do several things, but now they have thrown up their hands and said that I would only be able to upgrade a couple states and that I needed to pick the one or two I use the most. That's crazy. I just got back from a trip from Florida to the west coast and back, hitting most every state ... how do I pick one or 2 states. In my opinion, the support for the Clarion NX501 is pretty much non-existent. If you call the US Clarion #, you are not allowed to speak to a person nor are you able to leave a message for a technical support call back. I have written a letter to the US Clarion president, I'll see where that goes. To those that are considering having one of the Clarion units in your coach, you might want to reconsider and get something from a manufacturer that has some semblance of support.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wonder if Newmar is aware. I have found on other items their leverage helps. Might not here but maybe worth a try ?
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the Clairon nx501 in my 2015 Canyon Star it was so outdated the street I live on is ten years old and was not in it. Then you have to pay for the update. Brought a Garmin Rv760 with free lifetime updates. Does Clairon still give technical support on this unit since they discontinued it several years ago?
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #9

There is another option, we found the Clarion NX 602 navigation system to be a real pain! So, wealmost immediately replaced it with a Garmin RV760LMT. This was a great move for us. The Clarion Radio is very good!

All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote