Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #1

Class A Storage - What Options Do I have?

Hello....

I am a Newmar Fifth wheel owner and my wife and I are considering upgrading to a Class A but before we do we need to consider finding a place to keep our coach inside.

We live in the Denver, CO area and have kept our 2008 Cyprus outside and have seen what Denver's 300 days of sunshine can do to the exterior of any RV. We have a custom made cover for our current rig but it isn't exactly easy to put on and we both agree that if we do "upgrade" to a Class A that we would need to get an enclosed storage unit from Day 1.

QUESTION: Where do you keep your rig?

Here in Denver, they have places like Garage Town USA where you can buy a 20'x50' space relatively close to where we live but the prices are in the $150,000 - $180,000 range which I think is way over priced for a storage lot. I am considering a couple options:

1. Find a Commercial Real-Estate person and see if I can find a small building to purchase for the sole purpose of storing my New or New-Used coach. Haven't looked into this yet but I would think i could find a building for less than the $150K-$180K range.

2. I could buy a 1 acre lot on the outskirts of the Denver Metro area and have a 40'x60' metal building with a concrete slap built. Not sure of this area but i have to think this would be a great alternative. I could even make this a pull-through option quite easily.

I have also considered renting an enclosed space but those seem to run in the $300 - $500/month range and if we feel we will be RV'n for another 20 years i have a hard time spending $70,000 to $120,000 for 20 years of storage that doesn't even include a annual rent increases.

I welcome other thoughts/ideas and recommendations.

Thanks for your replies!!!!
Shepardsonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardsonp View Post
Hello....

.......if we do "upgrade" to a Class A that we would need to get an enclosed storage unit from Day 1.....

Here in Denver, they have places like Garage Town USA where you can buy a 20'x50' space relatively close to where we live but the prices are in the $150,000 - $180,000 range which I think is way over priced for a storage lot......

1. .......see if I can find a small building to purchase for the sole purpose of storing my New or New-Used coach.... think i could find a building for less than the $150K-$180K range.

2. I could buy a 1 acre lot ...... have a 40'x60' metal building with a concrete slap built. .......could even make this a pull-through option quite easily.

I have also considered renting .........
Shep....

First of all, Welcome! You've come to the right place. I will start by assuming that because you didn't mention the idea, building an RV garage attached to or near your house is not viable.

A. I'm not familiar with the GarageTown franchise, and their website was not overly helpful. I'm a bit confused. You said you're looking for enclosed storage, yet you refer to GarageTown as a storage lot. But GT seems to be enclosed, and there's some implication that the units are heated and air conditioned. I lived in Denver 40 years ago, so I couldn't possibly address values today, but a turnkey unit of a thousand SF of secure, weather protected, heated, air-conditioned space surely is worth something.

B. You may find an alternate commercial building, but you may also have to invest in some substantial mods to make it suitable. My guess is it may be a wash.

C. Buy a lot and put up a 40x60. This would be my preferred route. Build a 40x60 with a solid wall divider and lease half to another coach owner similarly situated.

D. Rent long-term..... a non-starter for me.

Good Luck! I don't envy you. I would also want to have indoor storage if I had to store a coach in Denver. Seems like it always hit about 15 below during Stock Show week. When we had our boat in New England I would have gladly paid for indoor if there was any nearby.

Fortunately, we fulltime now, so our "winter storage" simply comprises going where it isn't!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #3

I think "C" would be the best, and if your lucky, you might find a builder who would partner with you.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Shep....

First of all, Welcome! You've come to the right place. I will start by assuming that because you didn't mention the idea, building an RV garage attached to or near your house is not viable.

A. I'm not familiar with the GarageTown franchise, and their website was not overly helpful. I'm a bit confused. You said you're looking for enclosed storage, yet you refer to GarageTown as a storage lot. But GT seems to be enclosed, and there's some implication that the units are heated and air conditioned. I lived in Denver 40 years ago, so I couldn't possibly address values today, but a turnkey unit of a thousand SF of secure, weather protected, heated, air-conditioned space surely is worth something.

B. You may find an alternate commercial building, but you may also have to invest in some substantial mods to make it suitable. My guess is it may be a wash.

C. Buy a lot and put up a 40x60. This would be my preferred route. Build a 40x60 with a solid wall divider and lease half to another coach owner similarly situated.

D. Rent long-term..... a non-starter for me.

Good Luck! I don't envy you. I would also want to have indoor storage if I had to store a coach in Denver. Seems like it always hit about 15 below during Stock Show week. When we had our boat in New England I would have gladly paid for indoor if there was any nearby.

Fortunately, we fulltime now, so our "winter storage" simply comprises going where it isn't!!
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, Unfortunately we don't have the room at our current home to build a spot to house an RV.

GarageTown is a franchise and they do offer climate controlled storage and the $150K - $180K were pre-owned spaces. I agree that the Garage Town web site is a very poorly developed website with almost little to no information.

i agree with you on the commercial building and additional modifications for get it ready for storing a coach.

I do like the idea of building the 40x60 building with a divider and renting the spot for another coach - that was a good idea. I guess i could just buy a much larger plot of land and build my own RV Storage Unit and that would pay for my Coach and Storage!

Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #5

Sheesh, I read this and thank my lucky stars I don't live in Denver. Covered storage for my MH in Shepherdsville, KY runs me $75 a month with an electrical hookup.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I am thankful that I was able to buy my 25 by 50 storage unit in Warsaw Indiana a few years ago for $40k. It might be better to buy a storage unit outside of Denver a ways in order to find a lower price.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a friend who bought 8-10 acres near Montgomery AL, then built a steel & aluminum building on a portion. In one half of the building he has a two bedroom apartment (really nice). In the other half, a drive-through for his MH. He & wife live in the apartment when they're not on the road. Works well for them.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

My thoughts are any time you can own the property and building you will be better off. Unless it is short term rental.

I will have my 20x50 building completed in 3 weeks at my house. Costs will be returned in 7 yrs., plus have an added asset when ever I sell property.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Shepardsonp,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners forum. Just FYI, my coach has been outside since I purchased it in 2005. This is because the coach is used about 3/4 of the year. It spends quite a bit of time in the sun. South Florida is home base and we travel where the sun is making it warm. The coach is waxed 3 to 4 times a year with a spray on wax. It looks as good as the day I bought it (new).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #10

With a $150K to $180K budget you are getting close to where it might be better to sell your current house and build a small new one with attached RV garage.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Shepardsonp,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners forum. Just FYI, my coach has been outside since I purchased it in 2005. This is because the coach is used about 3/4 of the year. It spends quite a bit of time in the sun. South Florida is home base and we travel where the sun is making it warm. The coach is waxed 3 to 4 times a year with a spray on wax. It looks as good as the day I bought it (new).
What wax are you using? I have my Newmar 5th wheel detailed once a year with the white gel-coat RV was but just recently heard about a product called Dry-Wash. A guy at the Campground we spent the weekend in Omaha, NE had a 40' Class A and was very happy with it. Was curious if anyone else has tried it?

DRI WASH 'n GUARD Waterless Car Wash: The Original Dry Wash!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
My thoughts are any time you can own the property and building you will be better off. Unless it is short term rental.

I will have my 20x50 building completed in 3 weeks at my house. Costs will be returned in 7 yrs., plus have an added asset when ever I sell property.
Please tell us how you are building, are you using a pre-fab? Is this custom construction? It seems that your payback is very quick for what normally is a $50K+ project. If you do a lot of the work yourself or your company is in the construction business, that too would explain the amount.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I am familiar with GarageTown and if you have lots of $$$ then it would be an excellent option. For almost 20 years I stored my 29 and 30 ft. class C motorhomes in completely enclosed storage and was very happy with it. Last year I upgraded to a 35 ft. class A motorhome. It wouldn't fit in the existing storage unit so it is now in a covered storage area. I am in the middle of the row so most of the coach is always in the shade. I have some morning sun on the back end but that is all. I am paying $100.00 per month in Cypress, TX (Houston).
If I could have a do-over I would try to buy some land and build a building to store my motorhome. Don't want to think about how much money I have spent to rent that storage.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikboy View Post
Please tell us how you are building, are you using a pre-fab? Is this custom construction? It seems that your payback is very quick for what normally is a $50K+ project. If you do a lot of the work yourself or your company is in the construction business, that too would explain the amount.
I took turn-key bids that that were 38-43K in Houston, Tx area. I'm doing the job for 30.5K by being general contractor and finding sub's on my own. Project includes permitting, 110 mph wind rated all metal building includes steel beams, Purlins, Girts, insulated, 14x14 rollup door, compacted dirt pad 20" tall, removal of 14 trees, concrete pad for building and another 50' concrete driveway, building erection, 50A elect., landscaping along driveway and around building. I did not get electrical in turn-key bids but it is included in my project costs. Project savings = @$10K

Enclosed storage rental with 30A elect., water, dump station, not insulated, not at my home, slides not open, is $400+ month in Humble, Tx(Houston area) about 15 miles from me. Can I rent cheaper, yes but not enclosed with elect. and water. Covered in my area rents $75-150 mo. when you can get a spot. Low end usually has no onsite manager.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, storage