Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #1

Class A Window Sun Shield

In my old Newmar Northern Star I had a large sun shield (rollable silver filled with foam) that fit into the window and blocked the sun when we were not using the coach. Unfortunately, I left it in the coach when we sold it. I have desperately looked for a place to buy another and cannot find one. The window is 53" high and 96" across. Can anyone provide a lead on where I might find one of these.

Thanks in advance

Tom Ewing
2012 Newmar Canyon Star
Tom114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 and the forum..
Take your pick.
Here is one of them.
Below in my signature you will find links to many more for your Newmar, in QT's # 3 info on the Canyon Star.
If you need a Brochure or Owners Guide let me know.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We went to Lowes and bought it by the roll. Luckily it was the perfect height. All we had to do was cut to length. Works great. Find it in the section that sells insulation.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #4

This stuff has lots of use, I have a roll in my garage.
The widest I've found is 48". Basically inexpensive too.

Reflectix 48 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation-BP48025 - The Home Depot
Old 06-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #5

HD has two different sizes. I cheeped out buying the smaller roll when I first bought the coach because I was spending so much on this and that. How the 5" inch gap at the top of the bed room windows are starting to bother me. So I thinking of buying the bigger roll. Guess I am getting use to the $$$ pains now that I've been Rving for awhile.😰
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

I purchased a roll that was 4X10, at Camping World.
Fits nicely in my "14 Ventana windshield. I am looking forward
to using it on my next outing. I have noticed the MCD shades still
allow quite a bit of warm air to filter into the front of the coach, so
I hope this helps.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom114 View Post
...I have desperately looked for a place to buy another and cannot find one. The window is 53" high and 96" across. Can anyone provide a lead on where I might find one of these....
Lots of options but I highly recommend you give Magne Shade a good looking at. Any windshield covering on the OUTSIDE of the coach will do much better than anything inside.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlairbus View Post
... I have noticed the MCD shades still allow quite a bit of warm air to filter into the front of the coach...
That is the problem with inside shades. You would be amazed at the difference simply covering all cockpit windows with outside shades compared to any shades mounted inside. The ones that stick to the inside of the windshield are a bit better. Tried those but once we got the outside covers custom made in TX it was clearly a no brainer.

We just ordered the Magne Shades because, to be honest, getting up and down on a ladder to attach them on snaps gets old real fast. I didn't think so but I was WRONG.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #9

I ordered the Magna Shade as well for the same reason. Will be nice to stand on the ground and let the shade attach itself to the window. Have not sprung for the side windows (yet).
Old 06-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydekilgore View Post
I ordered the Magna Shade as well for the same reason. Will be nice to stand on the ground and let the shade attach itself to the window. Have not sprung for the side windows (yet).
As a full timer that often pays for electricity...no brainer...get the side covers. That being said it would be difficult to tell you if/when you will recoup all of your shade costs in saved electrical bills. However, you will feel better both in reducing your costs while while at the same time being more comfortable in the coach.

If you are a part timer where most/all the time the electricity is part of the rate then the front one will at least increase your overall comfort enough to appreciate the difference.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #11

I'm mostly concerned about comfort. We do a lot of summer traveling in the SW, and with only 2 15K units on a 40' coach, I'm concerned that they will not keep up. Magna Shade will keep quite a bit of the heat outside.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydekilgore View Post
I'm mostly concerned about comfort. We do a lot of summer traveling in the SW, and with only 2 15K units on a 40' coach, I'm concerned that they will not keep up. Magna Shade will keep quite a bit of the heat outside.
We run 2 AC units on our 43' coach and they are adequate. Without the shades it would be a big challenge on hot, sunny days. I think your 40' coach should do better but the shades will make a huge difference.

Good luck in those hot summer travels.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #13

Magne Shade

Two questions on the Magne Shade: Can you see through from the inside during day time, and has anyone had problems with high winds?

I like the shade but little pricey.

Greg
2015 DSDP 4369
gjbeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbeels View Post
Two questions on the Magne Shade: Can you see through from the inside during day time, and has anyone had problems with high winds?

I like the shade but little pricey.

Greg
2015 DSDP 4369
All of these kinds of shades allow you to see out from the coach during the day without allowing others to see into your coach. At night, once you start adding interior lights inside the coach they allow others to see into your coach to some extent. For the most part they will see shapes and in some cases details so you might want to cover up. LOL You will still need to use your solid shades for total privacy then.

As to windy conditions here is what Roger at Magne Shade had to say about that when I posed that question to him via Email last year...

Since starting the Magne Shade product in 2009, we have made thousands of them for all types of motorhomes and RV's, and there have been instances where a shade has come off in high winds or extreme weather. However the instances that I have heard of are few and usually under very severe conditions. Personally I have never had a shade move not even once and I have been in all kinds of severe weather from Florida to California. If we made thousands and they all blew off, we would be out of business. At the Thor Diesel Rally in Indiana a couple of weeks ago the wind was terrible and with rain,! we had a lot of motorhomes with our product out there during the rally and no one had an issue. Here are a few tips that should be helpful to anyone interested in the Magne Shade product.

1. Proper initial installation of the magnets and shade (video as well as written instructions) The initial installation is easy to do as shown in the installation video on our web site.
2. Adjusting of the fabric after each installation with the rod, (the fabric must be adjusted tight for function and aesthetic reasons) the shade is designed for adjustment to the fabric each time it is installed
3. Super slick glass treatments will hinder the friction of the fabric against the glass surface, especially at the magnetic pocket areas.
4. Occasional cleaning of the shade (normal maintenance) increases friction of the magnetic pockets to the glass surface, dirt, bugs etc compacted into the fabric reduces friction.

Even I would expect that because this is a friction system that the limitations of friction only would render some instances of the shade being moved by high winds / extreme weather depending on the angle and other factors mentioned above. This being said and with the exceptionally positive response from our customers in the forums and at all the shows we attend, that our product functions beautifully and exactly as it was designed to do. The Magne Shade product is the very best high quality alternative to any other product using friction fasteners. For ease of installation, effective heat control, customization, safety, frequency of use and high quality materials the value is there in the Magne Shade products. I am very happy to report that our sales growth of over 35% annually is because of our customers who routinely recommend us to their fellow RV'rs in campgrounds all of the U.S. and Canada.

Tags
class a, window