Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
In TX and IL and some other states ,you need a Class B if over 26000 lbs. plus an air-brake endorsement.
Siggy
No air brake endorsement required in Texas.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #30
dms

Isuarexz53, I am in NC and offer this info on getting your Class B non-commercial license:

In NC, if your rig is over 26,001 lbs, you must have a non-commercial Class B license. If you tow anything over 10,001 lbs, you then need a Class A non-commercial license. Many states are the same, but some states don't have a requirement for anything other than a regular DL (i.e. Florida and Mass). If you're legal in your home state, then all other states are reciprocal.

The NC license requires a written test and a road test. Also an air brake test if you have air brakes.

Get a CDL handbook from any NC DMV office. Study the CDL manual for the written test, the pre-trip and in-cab inspection. The manual explains what chapters to study for a Class B license. 50 questions... none were hard, just study the book. Also, Google "CDL pre trip inspection" and watch plenty of videos. Also, watch videos on air brake tests if your coach has air brakes. The pre-trip inspection is the pretty much the same nationwide. Once you pass the written test, you then have to schedule a driving test, usually 2 weeks or so later.

Road test in NC had me drive a few city streets and interstate with 2 lane changes. Easy driving. No parallel parking. Just watch out for and remember posted bridge clearances and weight ratings as you drive because he will ask you the ratings after you pass them. All interstate bridges are 15' unless marked ortherwise.

Many people get a licensed friend to drive them to the DMV office for the driving test. I didn't, but was prepared to tell the examiner that a friend drove it over and had to leave, if asked. I wasn't asked.

The risk you run if you don't have the proper license is that in an accident, your insurance may not cover you since you would be considered an unlicensed driver. No RV dealer will tell you this, nor will your insurance agent. You'll also be ticketed for driving without a license.

Once you get the Class B license, your DW can take the written test and will be issued a learners permit allowing her to drive if you're in the coach.

I'm in Mocksville and the office is small town friendly and the inspector was more fascinated with my coach than watching me drive. Not a bad experience at all.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #31

In Florida, your regular drivers license covers an RV, no special license needed.

I am just guessing here, but there are a lot of bad (and old) drivers in FL. The DMV probably doesn't want all those bad drivers in really large vehicles in their parking lots..... just sayin'

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
Interesting thread. I had no idea there were so many differences between the states. As somebody mentioned already, here in California length determines whether you need the higher class license, not weight. So I'm good with a 37 footer, even though it weighs 29,000 lbs.

Woody, you may have missed the the Class C license limit of 26,000 GVW. If you renewed your license since 2011 it may be on back of our current Class C license. It is on mine.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
Woody, you may have missed the the Class C license limit of 26,000 GVW. If you renewed your license since 2011 it may be on back of our current Class C license. It is on mine.
OMG -- you're absolutely correct! Never saw that. I just read about the 40 ft. limit. Thanks so much for pointing that out. I'm looking for my pointed hat so I can go sit in the corner -- and rectify this ASAP.

And here I am leaving on a road-trip for about 2 months -- tomorrow!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:40 AM   #34

I am in Texas and drove my 40 ft rig for years before hearing about the required class B license. After hearing about it I went ahead and got it. As another person mentioned, you will get in much quicker if you go to a location outside of a large metropolitan area. My buddy and I live south of Ft. Wth. Tx but we went further south and took the test at Hillsboro. Pretty painless.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
Well -- apparently NOT! I just looked it up, and what the California DMV says is that with a regular (non-commercial) Class-C driver's license, you can operate "Any vehicle up to 26,000 lbs." But then just two or three lines later it also says, "Any housecar 40' or less."

My KSDP is a "Housecar" and it has a regular passenger vehicle license plate. And it's less than 40 ft. long. Also, being a "housecar" it's exempt from any special air-brakes regulations.

So I think that even though my coach has a GVWR of 32,000 lbs. -- it's a "housecar" under 40 ft., and I'm good with a regular Class-C driver's license. I'm not commercial, I'm not hauling people for hire, and my Toad weighs less than 10,000 lbs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry Woody, I went searching the DMV again and found the 3rd dot with the Housecar limit of 40' with a Class C license. However, the Class C requirement document does not clearly indicate if the 26K weight limit applies to a less than 40' Housecar or there is no

limit to the weight of a 2 axle Housecar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Calif Class B n C requirements.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	219422
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
siggyd
Not so in IL, no air brake endorsement required for NON CDL for RVs.
Just wish IL, and all states, would create a written test for RVs. IL Non CDL Class B test was 40% questions that RVs were specifically exempt from. I brought this to the SOS office after completing mine.
Dealer told me I didn't need anything more than a DL.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #38

I drove our first coach for years without a Class B license. I know I should not have, but I did. When I went to get the Class B in Texas, it was a total runaround. I was able to take and pass the test easy enough, but you have 90 days to pass the driving test. No open slots were available closer than 200 miles!!!!!!

I took the written test again and after emailing a TxDOT lady, I went to Terrell and took the driving test. The officer put me through the driving ringer, Interstate and small town city driving. She said she fails about 10% of people.

I feel better knowing I have the proper license and don't have to worry in case things go south. I also have installed a dash cam in our coach.

heathtx
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b