Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 BayStar View Post
Here is a question from a Newby. I have a 2012 BayStar but I don't remember seeing any drains on the roof. I also don't remember the dealer pointing them out when we bought the coach used. Are they on most coaches? The picture above looks like they are out when the slides are out, again I don't remember seeing them but I really wasn't looking either.

Thanks.
These drains are only on Dutch Star and above models that have the integrated awnings with gutters built into roof line.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #30

I thought that might be the case with an entry level model!
2012 BayStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #31
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, No drains on Ventana and down. Had two Newmar service folks swear I had drains. Pushed my old portly body up the ladder and, no drains. Service person I was talking to climbed up on a Ventana and much to his surprise, no drains. Now that was funny, except for me climbing the ladder, that was an embarrassment

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725, still trying to figure out where the water is leaking out the bottom as we now know there are no drains
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Kirk View Post

A properly fabricated screen may do what you suggest.
Found this at Lowes a few years back. Does a great job on my house gutters/drains. Going to try it on the DSDP.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was messing around looking at these strainers. I think the strainers are actually pretty good, the bigger issue at least on my coach was there were gaps not caulked with silicone that was allowing leafs to get into reservoir. I filled these gaps with silicone and hoping that should keep them clearer. I love having the gutter rails around entire coach compared to our prior where everything ran off sides and dirtied the coach so fast!

Brian
2017 Newmar DSDP 4310 (bunks)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
This is the rear/passenger side roof drain. It, and the other 3 drains, are located on the roof edge where the caps meet the walls.

This is the location
Attachment 147713

Scupper with rain grill removed
Attachment 147714

Drain grill
Attachment 147715

What holds the drain strainers in place? I checked at grade and has some type of back rubber, that looks like it could clog easy. But would like to take the strainers off like you did and stick a water hose down drain and flush out. I definitely have a restriction somewhere!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
What holds the drain strainers in place? I checked at grade and has some type of back rubber, that looks like it could clog easy. But would like to take the strainers off like you did and stick a water hose down drain and flush out. I definitely have a restriction somewhere!

They are held on by silicone caulking. I just took a flat head screwdriver & popped mine off. As I noted above I think the main issue I saw was gaps around grate not sealed with caulking, where leaves etc could get through. I touched those areas up with caulking & think that should keep them clear other than occasionally removing any debris sitting on top of drain covers.

Brian
2017 Newmar DSDP 4310 (bunks)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My screen held in with what seems to be similar to the white self leveling sealant. Cleaned out the clogged drain today with clothes hanger wire and a pitcher of warm water with soap (a bar of Irish spring in the pitcher... seems to be strong stuff.). Just pressed the screen back into the original sealant. It grabbed pretty well. Still very tacky stuff for being several years old.

Tobias - Newmar 2015 Dutch Star 4366
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #37

2 weeks ago about 4hrs after a "toad strangling deluge of rain", water began dripping thru my map light over MY drivers seat. Once I noticed it I placed a bowl on the seat to catch the drippings. It continued to drip for about 10 hrs. ended up being 1 1/2 cups of water. 2 days later when we were pulling out of campsite both map lights began to drip. Fortunately DW decided to drive Jeep home as we were headed to nearby dealer to address issue. dealer told us of the issue with the drains and if they back up too much water could end up in coach. I notified Newmar CS as well since my 1 yr warranty was only 3 days from expiring warranty. I was told by newmar that dealer should be able to fix issue but they wouldn't know till they got on roof. Hopefully this is the problem. Also asked what type damage could have been done from the water and really didn't get a definitive answer. Has anyone ever had water enter the coach thru this issue? Hopefully since this issue is on my work order that if any future problem arises from this problem it will be taken care of. They had to order new awning and brake light LEDs AGAIN so when they come in I will take coach in for ALL repairs. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #38

Also, since I am not a very good climber and even worse in the transition from ladder to roof and back, is it possible to access these 4 drains from a ladder wrapped with foam leaning against the coach or will I have to get my SPIDER MONKEY/FIREFIGHTER nephew to get on the roof??
Old 02-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #39

You can reach them from a ladder. Yo will need to extend the awning(s) to access the Passenger side drains.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #40

I'm still waiting for all of my LED lights to come in at dealer to have my leak taken care of. We went on a long weekend trip last weekend and had water leaking in from the map lights again after a pretty hard rain. Has anyone had problems with water coming into their coach due to the drains being clogged with debris? I sure hope that this is where the water is coming in from. Seems this would be the easiest fix to hope for. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Would it be possible to use a strong vacuum cleaner to suck the debris back up through the hole it went into? Seems trying to jam it down further might make it fetch up.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #42

Quote:
StuartS - it's made up of 3 parts available at any online or brick and mortar hardware store:

1. Garden Hose Connector w/Shut-Off Valve

2. High Pressure Nozzle

3. PVC Tubing

The Hose connector screws on to your hose, the nozzle screws on to the connector, and the tubing slips on the nozzle. It took a little heat to soften the tubing so it would slip on the nozzle.
Hi. Where did you get the high pressure nozzle and PVC tubing from? Can't seem to find these 2 parts. Thanks!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof