Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Clicking noise

When I first turn the key on to the run position I hear 3 loud "clicks" coming from underneath near the front. I've never been able to figure out what it is. Anyone know?
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It is probably the ABS going through it's Pre-trip, or the engine ECU doing a systems check. When the clicking stops start her up and go.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

it could also be your auto level jacks , reprogram the leveling system
longhair333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rotten-Red,
Can you provide the year and model of coach and propelled by gas or diesel?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

I agree with GARYKD, not much information to help you with. Most times when the key is turned the coach goes through a series of self checks. Relays click as they close. The indicator of what is going on is the dash panel display. You should see a series of lights going off as the various systems check themselves. If you do not get a serious fault indicator, then all is going ok. Once the engine starts the oil pressure and voltage gauge should come up to their normal start positions. An interesting condition with a Cummins engine is as the engine starts the PREHEAT HEATERS cycle on and off with an on and off increase/decrease in the Voltage indicated on the DC Voltage gauge.
Be comforted that these systems are very good and error on the side of preventing damage to the engine and associated systems.
Take time to learn your coach.
Regards,
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
He has a 2000 DSDP 3858.
Never had a DP but I would guess its a bunch of relays checking out the systems or a solenoid connecting the battery for starter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #7

Yes it's a 2000 DSDP on a Spartan MM chassis. Cummins ISC engine. The 3 clicks come from under the front by the air tanks. Not back by the engine. The air tanks have 3 electrically controlled tank drain valves on them. I had always assumed the 3 clicks was coming from those 3 valves ejecting moisture from the tanks on startup. Curiosity got the best of me the other day and I got under and had someone turn the key on while I listened and watched. To my surprise it was not those valves making the noise. It comes from higher up above the tanks in among all the hoses and valves. Which makes "rvjimmys" answer "It is probably the ABS going through it's Pre-trip" sound logical.
Now that brings up another question. What activates the 3 drain valves? There's no manual switch anywhere that I've ever seen. Or am I wrong about these being electrically operated and the electrical wires going to them are for some other reason? There are no manual pull cables going to the valves to bleed the air tanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #8

Usually there are "pull cables" on the air tanks but it looks as if you will have to just get under there and bleed the tanks manually. There is a definite sequence and method for opening the valves. Spartan has a sheet of instructions -- I can't remember where I got it??? Give them a call or maybe it's in the web site?????
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #9

354 mbs cc

Do you have a dish they willl click 3 times on the first start up Mine does it from the ceiling down.
LonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #10

There are no old style drain valves (like radiator drain valves) on the air tanks. The only drain valves are the ones with the electrical wires going to them. There is a small lever that a "pull cable" can be attached to. But there has never been a cable attached to them. That's what makes me believe that the valves are electrically operated. I just can't figure out what triggers the valve. If all else fails I'll call Spartan.
As for the dish, I do have a Winegard Slimline HD dish. But the sound is not coming from up there. It's coming from under by the air system.