RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Clock doesn't keep time when powered by inverter

A recently purchased alarm clock loses its mind when powered off the inverter. The inverter is the original equipment on my 2011 Ventana, and it is a modified sine wave inverter. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if a clock is suitable for running off this inverter (short of buying one, trying it, and taking it back when it doesn't work)?

jswickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswickard View Post
A recently purchased alarm clock loses its mind when powered off the inverter. The inverter is the original equipment on my 2011 Ventana, and it is a modified sine wave inverter. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if a clock is suitable for running off this inverter (short of buying one, trying it, and taking it back when it doesn't work)?
All 120 volt A/C clocks use a shaded pole motor which requires a true sine wave to correctly keep the correct time. I suggest you use a battery powered clock. I like a talking alarm clock. The two AA batteries last for about 20 months.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery Operated! or Wind up.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #4

You pretty much have answered your own question. There is no way to tell since devices may work ok on one msw inverter and not on another.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswickard View Post
Does it work on generator or shore power? Is it in the BR? I only have 2 out of 4 outlets in the BR that are powered by the batteries through the inverter.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Battery-operated clock is the way to go. They come in all sizes, types and styles. Inverters cannot product a pure sine wave (well, affordable ones, anyway) that clocks need to keep accurate time.

TJ
Old 05-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Inverters cannot product a pure sine wave (well, affordable ones, anyway) that clocks need to keep accurate time.
That strikes me as an odd statement coming from someone who, no doubt, has a pure sine wave inverter in his MH. The price difference between an MSW and a PSW inverter is ~$500-750 depending on brand and size. It's hard to understand why most people wouldn't pay that difference to ensure that all their electronics function properly.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #8

I have a Timex T308S digital clock radio that's operated over a year on our MSW Magnum inverter when dry camping (a lot) with nary a hiccup.
Now, a fan we had with digital controls got all hot under the collar on MSW power.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here is a little bit of background I learned years ago when working with time sync and tape recorders for the FAA. This is prior to when the internet or GPS time syncing became standard.

Most every run of the mill plug-in clock (with and without battery back up) uses the power's cycle to keep time. Power companies are required to maintain a very strict adherence to 60 hz thus even the cheapest plug in clock can keep excellent time.

However...when our tower would go on back up generators the clocks in the tape recorders would drift and sometimes significantly. That is because the standby generators don't keep such a precise 60 hz even after they are warmed up. That doesn't even include initial start up variances.

Home clocks with battery backup also drift when forced to use the battery. Some more than others.

So, it can be rather normal for plug-in clocks to drift in time when the RV is on generator or a PSW inverter for it to drift depending on how close they stick to 60 hz.

Unfortunately there is no way to even begin to guess how some clocks will react to a MSW inverter.

BTW...Just for reference

Cummins info on frequency regulation on newer diesel models:
Frequency regulation no load to full load: 0.1%
Random frequency variation for constant loads: 0.6%.

For the Magnum Energy 2812: inverter Output frequency and accuracy 60 Hz 0.1 Hz
Old 05-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
That strikes me as an odd statement coming from someone who, no doubt, has a pure sine wave inverter in his MH. The price difference between an MSW and a PSW inverter is ~$500-750 depending on brand and size. It's hard to understand why most people wouldn't pay that difference to ensure that all their electronics function properly.
I should have added "at a regulated 60 cycles" to my comment.

TJ
Old 05-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

When we travel, one of our bedside clocks runs off our PSW inverter and the other runs on its backup battery because its outlet isn't on the inverter. Quite honestly I've never noticed a reproducible difference between the two after our normal 6-7 hour travel day.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
GF has a plug in Sony Clock near bedside table. It is supposed to update it's time automatically, and I guess it does, because she never says it is wrong. I have a watch and cell phone, and when we are up, the tv is going, and I can get the time from there. I just have never noticed the time being off on any of the appliances. The Microwave loses a minute over about a month time, but that is about it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
When we travel, one of our bedside clocks runs off our PSW inverter and the other runs on its backup battery because its outlet isn't on the inverter. Quite honestly I've never noticed a reproducible difference between the two after our normal 6-7 hour travel day.
Luck of the draw, maybe clocks with batteries have gotten better? I know that I have had 2 clocks in the past that drifted at different rates on batteries...but they drifted. One GAINED about 2 minutes an hour when on battery. At least it didn't make me late for work. LOL
Old 05-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Got a Magnavox radio/alarm clock. Works perfectly on shore or inverter power. Inverter is pure sine wave. No batteries.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power