Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Cloudy headlights

Any suggestions on headlight lenses.
They are pretty cloudy so i called Newmar and had an almost heart attack!!
They said you can't just buy the lenses. You have to by the whole unit and it's 1000.00 Dollars. I said oh for the pair ? He said each
wow,,I looked on the light housing and the lens can be removed. It has 4 tabs.
Anyone out there have a similar situation? ANY Direction would be helpfull.
Sal
airconsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not sure what kind of headlights you have, but on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage, I just looked up the number on the headlight, and searched the internet, and came up with the headlights on my RV are from a 1999 Ford Ranger, so I ordered two new ones from Amazon for $45.00 total.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot of people have had very good results with the kits available for resurfacing the plastic. They are available at most auto parts stores, Walmarts, ect.
If you don't want to do it yourself most cities have people that provide the service for a fee.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #4

The best is replacement. I've tried all the so called restoration products and yes, they work for a while but that's about it.
Here is a link to the Newmar forum on the subject that should help. Find the TYC number on the headlights and buy new ones. They're not that expensive.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/a-no...hts-72160.html
Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

Go to autopartswarehouse.com and search for 65659 and 65660. You can get the pair (65660-PLK) for less than $400.

Here is another source http://www.headlightsdepot.com/produ...M#.VowYa1kTbLs
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi airconsal,
I use Wipe New. It is cheap and very easy and fast to use. Restores the lenses to showroom perfection. Go to Wipe New ® for details. The product needs to be reapplied about every 9 months. I use the original product. It comes with enough to do the headlights 2 times. Never tried the product they now advertise specifically for headlights.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is some evidence that some of the bug off sprays work too. I bought one and tried it on our Honda Odyssey and found it didn't do anything. I've also used one of the polishing kits, it worked for a while but needs to be done again.
Buying from eBay or Amazon MIGHT work or you might get knock off ones that, while they carry DOT approval numbers, they are NOT approved.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #8

Headlight Lens

I bought from the auto part store the one part cleaner. Worked good for me I did use auto polish on the lens afterwords.

Like mine a lot. Someone mentioned every nine months to redo it.
Someone else mentioned 400/1000 to replace the lens.
At that price I could do them again, again and again.
Good luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Call me crazy, but toothpaste and a good brush will remove almost all of the fogging from the lenses.... You might have to apply the treatment a couple times to get them clear.

Been there; done that!
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
Call me crazy, but toothpaste and a good brush will remove almost all of the fogging from the lenses.... You might have to apply the treatment a couple times to get them clear.

Been there; done that!
Yep!! You bet!! If you really want to go high tech, a medium or fine polishing compound works just great. Use a cloth, or a foam polishing pad on an electric polisher. Just go slow and don't run too high a speed or too much pressure.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mine were terrible...I used the bug spray technique but it didn't work. I finally got a 3M kit for under $10 on Amazon. It worked GREAT....I then coated them with a UV liquid. So far so good.

In addition, I took my TOAD to WalMart and they polished the headlights for $30. They still look good.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #12

I just went through the same thing. I did two things: replaced the bulbs with brighter ones and used the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit. Follow the directions and it is amazing how good a job it does. My lenses look new. I got Meguiar's headlight protestant to keep it looking good. I replaced the bulbs with the Phillips Extreme Power Replacement bulb.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
I just went through the same thing. I did two things: replaced the bulbs with brighter ones and used the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit. Follow the directions and it is amazing how good a job it does. My lenses look new. I got Meguiar's headlight protestant to keep it looking good. I replaced the bulbs with the Phillips Extreme Power Replacement bulb.
Does the Meguiar's come in a Catholic version, too? [emoji6] Couldn't resist.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I just ordered through Amazon a pair of replacement headlights for my 2005 KSDP 3907 for under $100.00. The units are complete with bulbs. Same units as used in 2000 - 2007 Ford Taurus.

Cheers

Tags
light, lights