Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

Coach color???

As we look and dream about our upcoming coach purchase we contemplate colors for the exterior over and over. We tend to like the lighter colored coaches, silver, white etc. Well we've got our eye on a dark color d used one currently, actually has a black exterior towards the top. It's a Mountain Aire for purpose of the discussion. As we all know the dark colors especially black tends to be very hot, but with Newmars insulation should I be concerned? So basically can I get feedback from folks that have dark colored late model Newmars as to how well they hold up in the heat. We are out west in California. Thank you.
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have a 2015 Mountain Aire mostly black on the upper portion of the motor home. I have not had an issue with cooling in 100°+ weather in July and August in Las Vegas. My previous coach, a 2014 Entegra with the Magna Shades for the front windows would not keep a comfortable temperature in the living room. I don't know if I am comparing apples to apple as far as cooling capacity and HVAC duct work but I can definitely say the Mountain Aire does a good job cooling the living area. I think Newmar falls short on cooling the cockpit area with the overhead AIr conditioning, Entegra does a better job in the area. Hope this helps
Josh2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #3
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
As we look and dream about our upcoming coach purchase we contemplate colors for the exterior over and over. We tend to like the lighter colored coaches, silver, white etc. Well we've got our eye on a dark color d used one currently, actually has a black exterior towards the top. It's a Mountain Aire for purpose of the discussion. As we all know the dark colors especially black tends to be very hot, but with Newmars insulation should I be concerned? So basically can I get feedback from folks that have dark colored late model Newmars as to how well they hold up in the heat. We are out west in California. Thank you.
We are also in sunny California and had three concerns with black paint; heat, clear coat durability & showing dirt. Consequently we ordered light colors as a special, since Newmar seems to use a lot of black in their color schemes. Especially up high near the roof lines that get a lot of sun.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not much in the way of light colors on our rig. We live in the Houston area so spend quite a bit of time in 100+ degree weather and have no trouble keeping the coach cool. Paint is still in the same condition as when we took delivery in January 2015. Definitely more difficult to keep looking clean than a lighter color scheme.

If we order another in the future it will probably be all black (according to DW).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	157010  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has the Mocha patterned exterior and I measured with a Fluke infrared tester 138 on the dark and 132 on the lite tan and both felt hot to the hand while in the sun on a 99 degree day. The Magna Shade handles the sun on the windshield heat very well and the RV's front is the same temp as in the bedroom.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
As we look and dream about our upcoming coach purchase we contemplate colors for the exterior over and over. We tend to like the lighter colored coaches, silver, white etc.
Hi Hmf23 - I know this isn't the question you're asking, but Newmar is very open to changing the paint colors if you order a new coach. We're getting a completely different set of colors on our VL 3412, and we've seen some in our shopping process that use much lighter colors, ivory and silver, etc. Just to make sure you're aware that you have that option if you want.

But to your actual question, yes, my understanding is that Newmar's insulation is better than most in the industry. Good luck in your decision-making!
Old 04-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

From my experience nothing looks better than black and dark colors when it is clean and sparkling. But when dirty nothing looks worse than black and darker colors. When they are dirty, they show every spec of dirt so they need more cleaning and they tend to show swills and scratches much more in the bring sunlight than a lighter color. My experience with this is first hand with our Ventana LE which was mostly dark brown and after one season of trying to keep it looking nice I realized it needed a lot more attention to keep it clean and looking fresh. Our new Ventana is light grey mostly and it looks clean all of the time even when it isn't clean. While I like the look of the darker coaches we opted for a lighter one this time around.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #8

We had no issues with our different shades of brown. However, we didn't tend to stay in places with extreme heat. You might consider that .... will you always be in heat?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would NEVER buy a dark colored coach again. When we bought our Dutch Star, there was a dark brown unit and black/red unit. I knew in my heart, the black was going to be an issue, but it looked really nice. We bought the black/red/silver/white Dutch Star, the actual colors on the front of the 2014 brochure. I hoped with newer paint, there would be no issue........I was wrong. The black paint already went bad on the roof and had to be repainted, two years later. I ended up painting the entire roof line white (one of my other colors) to prevent future issues. Newmar paid for the part of the roof that went bad $1500.00 and I paid $3500.00 for the rest of the roof.

I don't care how much insulation Newmar may use, dark colors generate heat. Lay your hand on black paint and white paint that has been in the sun. The black will burn your hand. Consequently, damage is being done.

You can see my new paint here. If I were to buy another coach, it will be all creams and light tans or other light colors. If you have to have a dark color, keep it low on the coach where it can be easily kept up and out of the sun.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:06 AM   #10

I would go with lighter colors. Go to the side of a coach with different colored in the sun. Put your hand on each color and see what the temperature difference is between the light and dark colors - it is significant. Yes, Newmar are well insulated but a lighter coach will cool better. Plus, dark colored paint will break down sooner because of the temperatures it is exposed to. Newmar will paint a coach and set of colors you want. Go with lighter colors.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We too prefer the lighter colors, for the reasons you mention. Yes, the A/C units may be able to keep up but you've got to know they are working harder, of special interest if you're on metered electric.

Both of our last two coaches were ordered in the lightest color scheme available from the manufacturer at the time. As mentioned, Newmar will work with you on custom color choices (they will not customize the graphics), you can choose anything from the Newmar palate, regardless of the brand it is used for normally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2916.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	157115   Click image for larger version

Name:	New coach.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	157116  

2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #12

We went with the light colors - custom paint colors we chose

2016 LADP
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	157172  
ScottyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #13

ScottA,

Great color combo, mind sharing the color palate names?
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
My take is that unless you're having a coach custom painted - choice in color scheme is really driven by current RV "fashion" trends. It ends up being a personal swag at the "lessor of evils" given whatever "period" the manufacturers are going thru at the moment. Then once it's in your campsite .. it just sorta grows on you.