Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #1

Coach is home.. BUT

We had the fan clutch fix done on the '11 Ventana and that seems to be working just fine. I was going to post a glowing report about the FL dealer that did the job and still might but have a question first.

We brought her home yesterday (about an hour drive) and today I was putting all the stuff we'd moved & taken out prior to taking it to the dealer back in. I had some lights on, extended the slides & ran the vac a bit & then noticed the low batt status & the red "burner fault" light on. It was cool anyway so I cranked on the gen and turned up the heat. The batts were charging, the fault light went out but I wasn't noticing any heat and no hot water. The AC heat was on I, furnace fan running and not much warmth. I checked breakers & found the "engine block heater" breaker flipped off & I flipped it back on. I thought maybe the FL guys had turned it off for some reason. I flipped the AC to II hoping that was what it needed.

I finally started feeling some heat but the hot water started as hot briefly but then turned luke warm after it was run for 30 secs or so. It's cool (low 60s) & windy but we had temps like this a couple of weeks ago when were camping & we had plenty of heat & hot water. I am using water from the fresh water tank but that shouldn't make any difference unless the water temp has gotten too low.. night temps have been upper 30s-low 40s. Would the cooler water temps be the reason?

This is the description of what FL did on the statement they gave us:

"removed air filter piping and housing, CAC boots & tubes, pull blades and clutch assembly" then they said pretty much the same thing for installation only in reverse.

Would anything they did cause the lack of hot water?

We're headed to Camp Newmar next week and will probably need some heat & hot water is also a nice option. We've not tried the diesel side of the Oasis system yet but it seems to me that we should have more hot water than we have without it.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any time we use more than just a little hot water, we always turn on the diesel burner in the Oasis. I have found that with the electric elements only, you can run more water through the system than it can heat. We notice the fact that it starts out hot then gets lukewarm quickly with electric elements only. With the diesel burner on, you get unlimited hot water.

The expansion tank for the Oasis boiler fluid is in the rear radiator area. That is the only thing I could think of that the service people could of somehow messed with when working on the fan clutch, which is right in front of the radiator. On our coach, the expansion tank is white plastic, just above and to the passenger side of the radiator, it should have pink fluid in it.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Were you plugged in prior to turning on GEN, if you were plugged into 110 from house your batteries would not have discharged so fast with all that you had running.
As LONG AS BATTERY CUT OFF is on and your plugged in to 110 the Bird system would of kept everyone happy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
We very rarely ever have to turn on the diesel burner with our Oasis system for hot water. We can shower and be doing dishes and laundry and we still seem to do ok. If we are using heat we would then need the diesel if we were using a lot of hot water also.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
Any time we use more than just a little hot water, we always turn on the diesel burner in the Oasis. I have found that with the electric elements only, you can run more water through the system than it can heat. We notice the fact that it starts out hot then gets lukewarm quickly with electric elements only. With the diesel burner on, you get unlimited hot water.

The expansion tank for the Oasis boiler fluid is in the rear radiator area. That is the only thing I could think of that the service people could of somehow messed with when working on the fan clutch, which is right in front of the radiator. On our coach, the expansion tank is white plastic, just above and to the passenger side of the radiator, it should have pink fluid in it.
We may crank on the burner tomorrow just to make sure it works. We've never had it on since we bought the coach this past July. I just thought we'd have had more hot water with the gen on & the electric side working.

Would the '

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Were you plugged in prior to turning on GEN, if you were plugged into 110 from house your batteries would not have discharged so fast with all that you had running.
As LONG AS BATTERY CUT OFF is on and your plugged in to 110 the Bird system would of kept everyone happy.
It had not been plugged in for about 10 days. When we got home from our camping trip, I emptied fridge since I knew it was going to the FL dealer. We took the coach down a week ago today (Wed) & picked it up the next Tuesday (yesterday). We did not disconnect the battery at the dealer. The engine only ran about an hour yesterday then today, I had the gen on. I have not turned the fridge back on.

Would the "engine block heater" breaker being off have kept the furnace from producing heat? It seemed like I felt warmer air coming out of the vents after I turned it on. I had also flipped the AC heater to II.

I expected hotter water though even if the water was cooler to start with. About the time it got as hot as it usually is, it started getting cooler.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
We very rarely ever have to turn on the diesel burner with our Oasis system for hot water. We can shower and be doing dishes and laundry and we still seem to do ok. If we are using heat we would then need the diesel if we were using a lot of hot water also.
Exactly. Even when we were camping (on 50amp), I did have the AC II on but it was in the 40s at night and a couple days were low 60s & rainy so the furnace was on. We had plenty of hot water even with showers.

I thought it odd that the days before the FL dealer had the coach there was plenty of heat & lots of hot water and now there isn't but we weren't heating the coach up from as cold as it started out today and the water probably wasn't as cold.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With the house batteries run down some of your control boards may not have been operating correctly they all require a good 12v's when not hooked up to shore power, hit your store button for battery cut off and when you want to use the coach for what you were doing they will be in better condition for you, your engine block heater cord is not needed until the real cold weather before getting ready to take a trip.
When your home plug into 110 and Bird System will have all your batteries fully charged with BCO switch on.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #8

Thanks 007.

We're going to test the Oasis burner tomorrow, then can disconnect the batts for a few days. We can reposition the coach so we can plug into 30amp but then it blocks either the garage or front walk or both. We'll suck it up though and deal.