Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Coach rebuilt - thermostat gremlins

So I've got a 2004 Mountain Aire pusher that had a fairly isolated refrigerator fire. The rebuild is coming along nicely and i've got most of the 120V and 12V sorted out, but the thermostat repairs are leaving me stumped.

I've read dozens of threads and I wanted to get everyone's thoughts, here goes:

In this coach the HVAC consists of two roof ACs and hydro hot, with a single over the driver cabinet thermostat. The thermostat is not powering up.

Testing:
1. I have 12V and 110V at the front AC.

2. Both modular plugs at the front unit control board have 12VDC on the RED wire.

3. 12VDC is present at the thermostat RJ11 plug, but on the green wire.

4. I understand with Newmar's ducting there is probably a female coupler somewhere in the ceiling, but I can't figure out how pins would shift like they appear to be.

My thoughts/quetsions:

1. Does anyone know what the duo-therm modular plug individual wires purposes are? Is red hot and neutral black? What about the other wires, are those data lines? I have the troubleshooting guide but it doesn't indicate this.

2. Testing with my powerprobe tells me that none of the modular plug pins are going to ground, is that normal? It looks like yellow is open (perhaps that is the ground?)

3. I intend to try to manually plug the thermostat into the front AC unit but i can't do that without removing the control board. Anyone know which plug probably goes to the thermostat? P1 or P2? I can trace it if need be.

4. I wonder if the fire shorted out something and the AC board (or female coupler) fried and split the pairs. Or may be Newmar just used a non-standard pinout?

5. The Fridge fire is nowhere near the front AC/thermostat run, but it did melt the RJ11 rear AC to front AC cable. Perhaps that has affected things.

6. I also can't detect a ground on the run coming out of the front AC and going to the rear AC.

7. I have yet to validate a 12V neutral going to the AC, after all this typing, maybe that should be my next step.

Ok, my A.D.D. is running rampant tonight, curious if i'm on the right track here.

Am I missing anything here?
jonohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look in the QT's 1 & 2 link you will find the wiring for the AC's to wall control over your drivers seat.
All three are connected by tel wiring coeds from AC control boards to farthermost. The control boards also have dip switchs that need to also be set if they were changed.
All the links below in my signature have answers for your Newmar.
This link has important info also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks 007. I’m well aware of those details. I don’t think you actually read my post.

I’ve read through all your reference material but can’t find the level of detail I’m looking for. Maybe I’m missing something....all I find that’s relevant is the rj11 pinout, which I already know. Nothing regarding my scenario or my questions.
jonohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The front AC feeds the rj11 to the thermostat control, from its control board.
There have been some long discussions for these rj11 cords some of the threads are in PROBLEM SOLVERS found in QT's #3, Brucecila is a expert on these AC's.
We can also do a Newmar search for your problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat