Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #1

Coach shaking despite jacks down?

We experience the entire coach shaking when we walk around in it. Even our 75 pound dog will make things shake by walking around. The washing machine makes the entire coach feel like we're in an earthquake.

Our jacks are down and we didn't expect to still get that level of vibration/shaking.

Is this normal?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavroom View Post
We experience the entire coach shaking when we walk around in it. Even our 75 pound dog will make things shake by walking around. The washing machine makes the entire coach feel like we're in an earthquake.

Our jacks are down and we didn't expect to still get that level of vibration/shaking.

Is this normal?
Is the site close to Level?

Did you let the air off the chassis to allow it to Lower?

Washing Machine can feel Like an Earthquake - often.

Possible you have air in the lines - causing it to "Bounce"?

Hard to do much as we know so little.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Is this normal?
No check jack bolts and make sure jack feet are on flat hard ground or use a jack pad under jacks.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Is the site close to Level?

Did you let the air off the chassis to allow it to Lower?

Washing Machine can feel Like an Earthquake - often.

Possible you have air in the lines - causing it to "Bounce"?

Hard to do much as we know so little.

JMHO,

Site close to level, yes. Air was released and chassis lowered.

Not sure about air in the lines. Wouldn't even know how to go about checking that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
No check jack bolts and make sure jack feet are on flat hard ground or use a jack pad under jacks.

I'll check the jack bolts. The jacks are on wood pads which themselves are on strongly compacted gravel.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Site close to level, yes. Air was released and chassis lowered.

Not sure about air in the lines. Wouldn't even know how to go about checking that.

I'll check the jack bolts. The jacks are on wood pads which themselves are on strongly compacted gravel.
Very strange . perhaps raise RV a little higher to relieve presure on tires and shocks.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #6

First the washing machine. Our first Splendide ventless combo unit in our last coach did shake everything. I swear, if there was a glass of milk on the table while the machine was in the spin cycle, the milk would turn into a milkshake! in my Our current unit, a Splendide WD2100XC does not shake very much at all.

I found if the stabilizer jack legs are not firmly set on the ground the coach will shake as we walk around. Sometimes the jack pads settle into the ground, especially frozen ground, the coach starts shaking as we walk around. I just lower the legs a bit more and all's right with the world.

One other shaking problem I have noticed is when part of the coach has to be substantially raised by the stabilizer system. I found that by driving the "low" wheels on some leveling boards first and get the coach close to level, then use the stabilizer system it greatly reduces the shaking.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
If your jacks are raising one set of wheels off the ground, or nearly so, you can experience shake. "Jacks" are inappropriately named; their primaty purpose is not to raise the coach up, but to stabilize it. Yes, they will also raise the coach and that is sometimes needed in very unlevel conditions, but supporting the coach on the jacks will bring with it the possibility of shake. Wheels/tires provide a stabilizing effect, along with the stabilizing "jacks."

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Depending on your definition of shaking, it’s normal in my experience.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Is this normal?
I think if there is even one jack not putting pressure on the ground you can get a shake. When I level I bring the low side up first slightly past level. Then bring the opposite (now lower side) up to level. This seems to assure all 4 jacks are firmly on the ground. Sometimes there will be a little settling over time and shaking becomes noticeable. Some tweaking of the jacks usually fixes that.
I dump the air first prior to leveling and use some home made wood pads when on grass, dirt or asphalt or under extremely uneven surfaces. Usually don't need them on level concrete unless there is sow/ice conditions. Jacks will freeze to the ground but usually not to the pads.
If you have the HWH leveling jacks be sure to level sides first then front/rear as needed.

Best of luck and safe travels!
Old 12-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #10

I still seem to get more movement (shaking?) than desirable in spite of trying different configurations of jack heights.

I think the problem with my rig is that the jacks are too far inboard, thus providing too narrow of a stance. I also have a full wall slide, so there is a lot of overhanging load that is a long distance from the jacks.

Maybe Winnebago went cheap on the mounting rigidity of the jacks also.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #11

If I'm still on air ride and haven't put down the jack, I can feel every weight shift left or right of center (when you put out a single wide slide, your center moves) - in other words, if my wife lays on the coach to watch TV I can feel it. Sometimes I don't air down and level on an overnight on a semi level site - saves crank up/air up time in the morning.
Otherwise I air down / jack down and don't feel a thing when a weight shifts.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have found a couple times I still had air in my system. I simply stored the jacks again and leveled again. For us the problem fixes itself the second time around. This is not something we have to do every time. Just wanted to share it works for us.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #13

Ours moves a lot when the washer is on spin cycle. Yes there’s also subtle shaking depending on how hard we plunk down on the couch.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:19 AM   #14

We usually put in an action movie with the surround sound on while doing wash. More often than not, the shaking works with the movie and adds to the experience.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks