RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #1

Coach upgrades

I have a 2005 Dutch Star. I am interested in replacing carpet with woor or tile, replacing curtains with shades in front, replacing TV's. Does any one have any info on doing this. Of course I would like to trade up 5 or more years but that seems to be too costly? Thanks Bob Niles San Clemente CA

Bob Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

The top 6 posts in the Newmar owners forum, there are posts named " Quick fixes and easy Mods" 1&2 and a second #3., a browse through those posts will answer many of your questions , great info from other members who have completed the up-grades your thinking of.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Niles View Post
I have a 2005 Dutch Star. I am interested in replacing carpet with woor or tile, replacing curtains with shades in front, replacing TV's. Does any one have any info on doing this. Of course I would like to trade up 5 or more years but that seems to be too costly? Thanks Bob Niles San Clemente CA
Consider carefully doing upgrades because they will NOT give you any serious improvement on your MH's value with/if you sell/trade. We have opted for LOTS of improvements to meet OUR needs and know that we will be keeping our MH for at least 5 years. That being said:

1. New MCD shades. The old DUO shades were of the older design and very "ratchety". The windshield shades also were getting worn out. We went to the factory and replaced all shades and got new motors for our windshields. The new window shades are nicer material and much smoother in operations (no motor for the windows) so we are glad we did it.

2. Replaced Norcold refer with Samsung residential model. BEST THING WE DID!

3. New Floor. When we bought our coach new we kinda thought the floor might get on our nerves but since everything else about the coach met our needs it was something we could gamble on. Well...just a few weeks ago we picked up our coach after the entire floor was replaced and we used a nice, brighter vinyl tile throughout the coach. The good news is that it looked GREAT. The bad news is that the installer kinda screwed up on the bedroom slides and set the floor height 1/2" too high. That means we will need to go back to have that corrected. I fully expect that to be resolved positively but I will withhold final thoughts on that until then.

4. Added stacked washer/dryer. Another great thing for us and our use. This is one that MAYBE we can take with us if we trade up but find it not part of the next MH. However, to be honest, I doubt that because Sandee will want a new set anyway. LOL

Keep in mind that we are full timers and that affects our perception of not only the cost value of what we did but also the intrinsic value too. Assuming we get the floor issue properly resolved we don't have any regrets on what we have done so far.

Now, specifically to the floor issues. For the most part you are always better off replacing a floor with like materials when it comes to mechanical operation of the slides. There are pros and cons to any flooring. We opted for tile through out the coach because we haul around 2 German Shedders and the hard floor is easier to clean of hair. OTOH...it does get "dirty" easier and we need to run our Dirt Devil vacuum/dust mop daily. Now that it is raining a lot here we see wet foot prints more often but we also have a small steam cleaner we can use quickly for that. Now, we did choose to use carpet in the big slide and also over the engine hatch so we had several "throw" rugs made for as you enter the coach, in front of the sink and dog crates, and at the foot and side of the bed. BTW...we removed an entire desk set to make room for out big dog crates so that is a mod we will have to "fix" in the future. LOL

We chose tile because we could have it grouted and the grout lines would be easier to clean than stuff that could build up between the seems of wood floors. We also thought it would work better with our dog's nails and water bowls. But...as I said, we are having to correct some problems since the installer didn't properly "reengineer" the bedroom floor when converting from carpet to tile.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Our list

We purchased a 2007 Dutch Star (4037) used and have done several modifications to make it more suited to our "style". We have not regretted doing ANY of them. We are fairly experienced Class A MH owners, but never bought a used one before. I am a 63 year old woman and did the work myself - except when lifting frig in and out of RV. Here are the key mods that we handled ourselves:
1. Replaced TV's with new LED's. Added cabinet storage behind bedroom TV.
2. Replaced Norcold with Samsung 197 - would never have a Norcold or Dometic again.
3. Replace kitchen faucet with higher one. Added under sink ceramic water filter. Added soap dispenser. Reworked under sink for better storage (also removed subwoofer.) Also replaced both bathroom faucets with upgraded ones.
4. Added solar to roof (this one I did NOT do myself) with remote digital controller.
5. Added power water reel.
6. Added Sanicon (another of my "must-haves")
7. Changed exterior shower to utility faucet
8. Installed MCD Duo shades in the cockpit (salon and bedroom next year) They are easy to insall and the company is very helpful with measurements and tech support.
9. Added "360" vents on roof tank vent pipes.
10. Resealed roof.
11. Installed Rand McNally Xite Infotainment System (XSG2NA-X1 7 inch) with RV specific GPS/Sirius/Changes the baby). Added comp wires to front TV for easy passenger viewing of navigation. Added additional radio speakers in valances.
12. Upgraded original Sony Home Theater with Samsung.

We have tile in the salon/kitchen, but will probably replace the carpet on the slide in the near future.

There are several other smaller changes we have done and some other large changes in the future. If I can do it, almost anyone can do it. They all came out well and we are very happy with them.

Having said all that, I agree that you should not do anything if you are going to sell. We have gone that route on other coaches and never recouped any of the investment.

(I have not posted my mods yet. Too busy doing them. But if you want pix or details, let me know.)
slowspokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #5

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but was wondering if those of you who put down tile with grout, if you have a problem with the grout crumbling because of movement? By the way some of our upgrades have been res. fridge, headbanger tv removed, a cabinet built across from our two recliners that has a tv lift, solar panels, 2800W Magnum PSW inverter, AGM's, custom paint job, outside freezer...and next on the agenda, a spray on roof so I never again have to worry about climbing up on the roof to caulk.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bob Niles,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. If you are going to have the renovation work done professionally, consider determining the businesses, in California, that renovate coach interiors. In addition to iRV2 members, they will have the experience to guide you with selections and what to do an what not to do.

FMCA, Good Sam and other magazines have these business in the classified section of their publications and maybe their web sites.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote