Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 05:30 AM   #1

Code Reader

I’m looking to purchase a code reader to have on board in case of the pesky check engine light. It looks like it would have to connect to hd obd port. Does anybody have a recommendation? I’m not a diesel mechanic so the $$$ ones are not really necessary.

Thanks,
Charles
2017 DS 4018
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 05:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Re: Code Reader

Have a look at Bluefire for RVs. Your need to purchase a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the port under the dash and connect to the app downloaded to a PC or phone. Amazon is sold out of the transmitter as we speak.

This is on my wish list.
stv_szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #3

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado13 View Post
I’m looking to purchase a code reader to have on board in case of the pesky check engine light. It looks like it would have to connect to hd obd port. Does anybody have a recommendation? I’m not a diesel mechanic so the $$$ ones are not really necessary.

Thanks,
Charles
2017 DS 4018

I purchased Veepeak OBD Check with Bluetooth on Amazon for $32 and pulled down Dash Command from App Store for my iPad. Stays plugged in 24/7; however I can use for other vehicles.

Ken
Old 09-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #4

Code Reader

Thanks - Bluefire looks like what I need. FYI - if you order on their website and use discount code “amazon” it will take 10% off. Ultimately cheaper than amazon.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:16 AM   #5

Thanks, Ken - that looks like a good option too.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While at the FMCA rally Cummins had a unit (can't remember the name) that plugs in and tells everything about your coach. It sends info to your phone. I was going to ask here if anyone has it but forgot.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #7

https://www.scangauge.com

I have one these Scangauge units that lets me read more info when driving and have the ability to check and clear codes.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #8

I've been led to understand that Cummins has a unique plug and configuration and that you need a specific Cummins reader -- and their software. And the sticky bit is that the Cummins software is only available on an annual license plan -- and that license is super expensive.

If there's a cheaper way to plug into the Spartan chassis I'd sure like to know what it is. The Spartan socket on my 2008 Kountry Star DP is round, not the "normal" trapezoidal shape as found on passenger vehicles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #9

If you have a smart phone download the app Torque. Go buy a 20 dollar OBD dongle and plug it in. Torque will give you dozens of things that you can read while driving. Plus the ability to read and clear codes.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRG07 View Post
https://www.scangauge.com

I have one these Scangauge units that lets me read more info when driving and have the ability to check and clear codes.
I put a Scangauge D on mine and am quite happy with it. Haven't had a code since I installed it, but love all the parameters it can display. Very easy installation - just plug in to the connector under the dash.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
If you have a smart phone download the app Torque. Go buy a 20 dollar OBD dongle and plug it in. Torque will give you dozens of things that you can read while driving. Plus the ability to read and clear codes.
This may or may not work. Most DPs have a different protocol that the genetic ELM327 based readers will not decode. The OBD plug is also very different.

Unfortunately most of the bluetooth readers I've seen for DPs are locked to a specific app via firmware.

Bluefire works w/ Bluefire app.
Nexiq (Freightliner part) works w/ the SnapOn app. (it is awful too)
Cummins works w/ Cummins Guidanz app as well as the Nexiq app. (they are the same reader just different stickers, firmware, and price)
atroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #12

Be aware that a diesel engine will have a different data port than a gas engine OBDII port.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #13

We had a tech come by and check some codes for us and he had a $$$$$ Bosch unit - said it was about $10 grand - maybe a little exaggeration but it was nice [emoji4]
Old 09-08-2019, 01:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I've been led to understand that Cummins has a unique plug and configuration and that you need a specific Cummins reader -- and their software. And the sticky bit is that the Cummins software is only available on an annual license plan -- and that license is super expensive.

If there's a cheaper way to plug into the Spartan chassis I'd sure like to know what it is. The Spartan socket on my 2008 Kountry Star DP is round, not the "normal" trapezoidal shape as found on passenger vehicles.
The scan tool that you are talking about is the Cummins Guidanz. I purchased one at an FMCA Rally for $237.00. It will read any Cummins engine from the data port under the dash or in the engine bay for years 2006 and up. It reads codes in English, clears codes, gives engine information and hours, Bluetooth to my iPad or phone, logs codes and asks if I want to email to Cummins for consult. There are no fees associated with the Guidanz to get on the Cummins site and use the unit with the Cummins site. The only thing they don’t tell you is that when you use the unit, you do not sign in. If you try to sign in you will be denied unless you pay a subscription fee. Cummins released the Guidanz to help individual owners, so the subscription fee does not apply. I have used it twice to clear errant codes confirmed via email by Cummins and it paid for itself in just those two instances. Just my opinion.

Bruce
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote