Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cody Wy to West Yellowstone Mt

Currently we are on a trip from Atlanta to Grizzky RV Park in West Yellowstone.
We are going to be in Black Hills then to Cody Wy.
Will I have any problems a driving my 2015 DSDP towing a Buick Enclave driving Route 14
Just looked at map and it looks like quite a few tight turns along with the mountains.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

The climb up to Granite Pass going west on WY-14 is easy and fairly straight the pass is 9033 ft. Unfortunately you have to descend through Shell Canyon. 9 miles of 5-7% grades and numerous 35 mph switch backs. WY-14A is even worse and has OMG hill. 4 miles of 8% grade and 10 miles of 10%. Your exhaust brake will get a work out. Beautiful country; expect considerable snow in September.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I loved driving #14 in my car....I chose to use #16 with the coach. #14A?....only for the daredevil!

Be sure to take in the gun museum in Cody....FANTASTIC!

When in West Yellowstone, don't miss Hebgen/Earthquake lake. The quake caused a flood/tidal wave action over the dam and killed a bunch of campers. Google it.

Another great ride (in a car) is the Beartooth Hwy, at the NE side of Yellowstone. A drive to remember.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Take Route 16 out of Buffalo to Cody!!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely take US-16 from Buffalo. Routes 14 and 14A go up over the top of the Bighorns and once you leave Burgess Junction and head west you'll be into some steep grades with no room to pull over and cool the brakes. I've taken all three routes up over the Bighorns but will never head westbound on 14 or 14A with a big rig.

US-16 is better because it cuts through the mountains, which makes for much nicer drive with far better scenery and allows for a number of grades that are less steep and offers plenty of room in between to allow the brakes to cool while you drive. You'll enjoy that route much more and be safer.

Once leaving Cody you can take US-14 through Yellowstone's east entrance, the up to Canyon and over to West Yell with no problems. It's just the west face of the Bighorns that is the problem on 14 or 14A.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We Joined the Newmar Caravan after the Rally in Gillette in 2012, The whole caravan travel from Buffalo WY to Cody and then on to Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Of the 20 RV's in the Caravan only one had an issue, he overheated, but that was due to his mechanic putting the wrong anti-freeze in the radiator when he serviced his rig. The route was decent as we had rigs of all sizes in the Caravan. They had my gasser out in front and any attempt to space us out failed on the first steep grade. We had a great time and would like to do it again.

TOM
2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

We just left Grizzly yesterday. We did travel from Cody through the park on 14 all good road. I do suggest you leave as early as possible from Cody for traffic reasons. Our route was from Ranchester, Wy to Cody via Hwy 14 wow what a ride. I'll not do that again. Once was quite enough. The MH handled it well but the down hill portion is narrow. beware there are 4 fires in Yellowstone right now. The air in Cody way very smokey one day than the wind blow it away.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the suggestions but I'm a bit confused.
I am heading west on 90 currently in Sturgis.
I plan on heading West to Cody.
My Good Samtrip planner has me going on 90 to Sheridan Wy then onto 14 to Cody.
Is the recommendation that I get off 90 at Buffalo and take 16 to Cody?
That seems like a longer route but can't tell by maps on quality, steepness of roads.
Ok once I get to Cody the Trip planner takes me on 14 to West Yellowstone.
I do not see where 16 goes from Cody to WY.
Please clarify
And thanks for the help
Old 08-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave78 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions but I'm a bit confused.
I am heading west on 90 currently in Sturgis.
I plan on heading West to Cody.
My Good Samtrip planner has me going on 90 to Sheridan Wy then onto 14 to Cody.
Is the recommendation that I get off 90 at Buffalo and take 16 to Cody?
That seems like a longer route but can't tell by maps on quality, steepness of roads.
Ok once I get to Cody the Trip planner takes me on 14 to West Yellowstone.
I do not see where 16 goes from Cody to WY.
Please clarify
And thanks for the help
YES! Get off of 90 at Buffalo (If you're a Longmire fan plan to spend a night in Buffalo and have breakfast at the Busy Bee Café). Then proceed on 16 out of Buffalo through the Big Horn Mountains to 20. Proceed North on 20 to Greybull. In Greybull turn West on 14 to Cody. From Cody continue West on 14 through the East entrance to Yellowstone! (And yes, it's a longer route, but much better for a Big Rig)

Old 08-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We took 14 from the 90 over to Cody in July I would not recommend this route in a larger RV if you do be prepared to go slow and use your brakes the road will get really little and lots of curves and steep down hill traveling. We started to go thru buffalo on the 16 but was turned around due to the road was closed because of a fire. Also if you go out of yellowstone thru the north entrance to Gardiner the last 20 miles are curves and skinny roads and construction

Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hair pin turn on 16

Thanks for the help with the route from Cody to West Yellowstone.
I was just looking at the route in a little more detail and see a double hair pin turn on 16.
How tight is it?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

No problem. It's not that tight.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #13

Quote:
I was just looking at the route in a little more detail and see a double hair pin turn on 16.
How tight is it?
Semi's pulling 53' trailers run this route. You have nothing to worry about.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:46 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
How tight is it?
Dave,
That turn is not an issue. The turn is well marked and we navigated our 45 footer towing with no issue!!