RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

Cold Weather Advice

We are taking our new Ventana DP to ND and SD next month on a bird hunting trip.The weather in these states is very unpredictable and we could easily see temps below freezing for the trip. I may or may not have 50 amp service or any service at times. I know this is a broad question but can anyone provide me with advice for this rig in cold weather? We may be away from it for days at a time. Thanks
eastern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #2

Having spent more than a few nights in snow or freezing weather, turn on the diesel heat (or propane if not all electric) and make sure you mop up any Window condensation in the morning.

Use your tank water, not city water and fill as necessary.
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:15 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Within in this link you will see winterization of your coach and a thread in that having to do with camping during winter months.
Make sure all batteries are fully charged and fuel tanks are full and if you have AGS for Gen correctly programed to keep batteries charged, enjoy your hunting trip, coach will be warm and happy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
What driveby said. Have owned 2 Ventanas. A week in Loveland with temps not breaking above 0 degrees. Your oasis will keep the coach warm. During your trip you should not see lows below 20 degrees.

I live in (free state) South Dakota. When we leave to snow bird the temps can be below 32 degrees throughout the day. We are plugged into 20 amp circuit and it takes 2-3 days to get packed. We boon dock at some places on the way south. Have never had an issue.

One thing I strongly recommend is to put insulating pillows in the exhaust vent, roof areas. One thing we do for comfort is run a dehumidifier when stopped. This cuts down on condensation in the morning.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:48 AM   #5

If you are going to be away from the coach for days at a time, and you are without power(parked in the boonies), I would suggest you winterize the coach before your trip, and just bring along bottled water for drinking, flushing toilets, etc.

If the oasis, or generator has any glitch while you are not there to correct it, you could have expensive freeze damage to the plumbing.

Now if you had a large solar array on the roof, I would feel much more confident in leaving the coach on its own, since it would have an abundant supply of power to keep batteries charged.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If you are going to be away from the coach for days at a time, and you are without power(parked in the boonies), I would suggest you winterize the coach before your trip, and just bring along bottled water for drinking, flushing toilets, etc.

If the oasis, or generator has any glitch while you are not there to correct it, you could have expensive freeze damage to the plumbing.

Now if you had a large solar array on the roof, I would feel much more confident in leaving the coach on its own, since it would have an abundant supply of power to keep batteries charged.

So far I have found a camp site in ND with 50 amp and the owner also has land with birds so I will stay there for awhile. Likewise, I have found a place in Oacoma SD that will be open and has 50 amp. Being new to this I feel safer being in a campground. I am hunting a ranch with a lodge about 1 1/2 hours from there so I can easily go back and forth if need be.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We have lived in ND for most of our 70 years and are in our 3rd motorhome so we have some experience with this legitimate question. Cool/cold weather camping is my "second favorite". Advice from the previous posters is all good though I have never gone to the point of winterizing before heading out. We...
  • fill up the water tank,
  • make sure our Oasis system and generator are properly functioning,
  • take along a remote thermometer ($12) and put the sensor in the water bay to monitor temp.,
  • place insulating pillows in roof vents,
  • utilize an electric blanket (since we try to minimize the noisy furnace during sleep time).
Probably because we have dual pane windows, we've never had much of a problem with moisture on windows - except the windshield. That pretty much clears when the front curtain is raised. If not, the moisture provides a great opportunity to clean it. ;-)

Fifty amp service is nice to have but certainly not essential. We have been quite cozy in 20 amp or even boon docking for a night or two.

We just returned from the Black Hills and were quite comfortable. We have October plans for ND.

RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
We have lived in ND for most of our 70 years and are in our 3rd motorhome so we have some experience with this legitimate question. Cool/cold weather camping is my "second favorite". Advice from the previous posters is all good though I have never gone to the point of winterizing before heading out. We...
  • fill up the water tank,
  • make sure our Oasis system and generator are properly functioning,
  • take along a remote thermometer ($12) and put the sensor in the water bay to monitor temp.,
  • place insulating pillows in roof vents,
  • utilize an electric blanket (since we try to minimize the noisy furnace during sleep time).
Probably because we have dual pane windows, we've never had much of a problem with moisture on windows - except the windshield. That pretty much clears when the front curtain is raised. If not, the moisture provides a great opportunity to clean it. ;-)

Fifty amp service is nice to have but certainly not essential. We have been quite cozy in 20 amp or even boon docking for a night or two.

We just returned from the Black Hills and were quite comfortable. We have October plans for ND.

RB
Thanks for this advice. Having hunted SD and MT for many years I know Oct and November can get bitter cold and I donít want to mess up with a new coach. I fooled with AGS today and thought I had it set up right but when I turned off the generator the AGS did not kick in. However when I tried it in test mode it worked. The inside temp was 68 degrees and I set the thermostat for 60 degrees feeling like it would start the generator. I need to figure out and be comfortable leaving the coach and knowing that the AGS will work if the inside temp drops below 60 degrees.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
Thanks for this advice. Having hunted SD and MT for many years I know Oct and November can get bitter cold and I donít want to mess up with a new coach. I fooled with AGS today and thought I had it set up right but when I turned off the generator the AGS did not kick in. However when I tried it in test mode it worked. The inside temp was 68 degrees and I set the thermostat for 60 degrees feeling like it would start the generator. I need to figure out and be comfortable leaving the coach and knowing that the AGS will work if the inside temp drops below 60 degrees.

I have read that starting the generator manually will cancel the auto start function. So need to re-enable if that is the case
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I have read that starting the generator manually will cancel the auto start function. So need to re-enable if that is the case
The instructions said enable all the functions and times and test by turning off generator and see if AGS works. I will try the test before again before I start generator and see if what you say works. Thank you

Tags
advice, cold weather