Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #15

The tire companies say cold pressure is at 70 degrees. The cold pressure will vary about 2 lbs per 10 degree temperature difference. I set mine when temp is 70, I have checked them first thing in morning with 80 degrees and they were 3lbs more, likewise I have checked first thing in the morning when 60 degrees and got 3lbs low.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscott View Post
I'm sure I am overthinking or making way too much of this, but I'm having an issue (mental) with setting my tire pressures now that the weather has turned much colder than normal. I really haven't paid too much attention to this in the past, but now that I have been over inflated (based on recent weighing) and need to bleed down from 110 to 90, I'm not sure if I need to consider the colder weather vs what I set the pressures at while warm. It seems to me that my current cold weather readings of 95 psi are still the equivalent of the warmer 110 psi settings. Then again, psi is psi, regardless of temp. Should I just set my pressures where I need them at time of departure and then check and adjust as needed...regardless of temp?
so you can see there are many approaches to pressure settings and checking intervals. I suggest you explore the website of the tire maker of your tires and see what they suggest and decide how you want to manage your tire maintenance. You will find on the michelin site, under the RV tab, an article written by a Michelin tech with the company recommendations on tire maintenance. You can then decide how to proceed based on the tire makers recommendations.

regards
rich
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #17

And seriously consider a TPMS. I had a flat on my trailer a few years ago and it resulted in a large roadside aluminum, steel cord and rubber sculpture that was made up of an artfully intertwined composite of my trailer tire, aluminum fender, side paneling and rivets.

Thus my current preference (and recommendation) for the use of a good TPMS.

BTW I had just checked the trailer tire pressure 45 minutes prior to the debacle......
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #18

Once you determined the right pressure for 65dgr F with some reserve for pressure loss in time ,unequall loading, misreadings of pressure schale etc,
dont mind if when colder outside the pressure is lower and vice versa.

The pressure for the load is to give the tire a deflection so sertain areas of the tire rubber dont get to warm.
When outside is colder , cooling is a bit better so the little more deflection wich gives more heat production, is again in balance so those sertain areas still dont get to warm.

To say it different , at colder outside temperature the tire can do with lower pressure and still no damage done.
But always calculate the pressure ( or let me do it ) for 10% more load then is realy weighed on the seperate tires.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #19

I add 5 lbs or round up the calculated value. If the calc is for less than 80 lbs (my Mich dually calc-it actually ends up below the bottom of their tabulated data) I run anywhere from 87-90 lbs.

It would be interesting to know what psi safety factor that the tire mfgrs build into their tire loading charts.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:16 AM   #20

My idea is that they only have a reserve build in for an eventual camber angle, so one sidewall is more deflected then the other.

And a 80 Hight/width division tire is calculated with that reserve, but a lower H/W tire gives lesser reserve because calculated in maximum load with inadequate formula .

Then also the system the tire makers use is grooped so that a tire of sertain sises and pressure for wich maximum load is calculated up to a sertain speed, always have the same maximum load. Construction of tires thouhg is different wich would lead to laws of nature to different maximum load.

So to determine your needed pressure , you have to asume the maximum load given is save when used presssure for that and not goin above speed for wich its calculated.

Mayby in practice some tires have more reserve, but why go to the edges of what is possible if you can have a comfortable reserve with no bumping and acceptable gripp still.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now to get back on track you check your tire PSI in the morning no matter what the outside temp is summer or winter.
CHECK IN MORNING BEFORE SUN HITS TIRES. WHY>>>WATCH THIS
You add or deflate the tire PSI accordingly to the tire PSI you determined when you had your coach weight, when you had all your stuff loaded, full water, full fuel, full LP gas and approximately the weight of people coach will be carrying.
Michelin tables.-- GOODYEAR TABLES ---THE TIRE MAN---TIRE SIDE WALL INFLATION --- TIME FOR TIRES

Seeing as this item keeps coming up in this thread I have added TPMS system.

You use your calculations not someone else's for you coach weight.
You inflate tires to it stick with it and enjoy the ride, the tires will not be under inflated or over inflated to cause a tire blow out that will cause costly damage and down time and aggravation in your traveling, RV experience.
That's what I have done for the past 30 years never had a flat or a blow out in miles of travel.
You want to play games with the PSI you will lose, sorry to say.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-MACV21 View Post
And seriously consider a TPMS. I had a flat on my trailer a few years ago and it resulted in a large roadside aluminum, steel cord and rubber sculpture that was made up of an artfully intertwined composite of my trailer tire, aluminum fender, side paneling and rivets.

Thus my current preference (and recommendation) for the use of a good TPMS.

BTW I had just checked the trailer tire pressure 45 minutes prior to the debacle......
Hi Bill,

I am considering a TPMS (use them all the time on the cars).

Can you recommend a good brand?

I have been reading on iRV2 threads about different TPMS systems. Seems some have trouble with leaky senors, hard to program, faulty readings? Hmmmm - seems like more work and worry. I have found an internal sensor system that I would consider having mounted...........

Thoughts?

Thanks,

g
Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is something from RV Geeks that apparently a lot of people don't know. Racing cars in another lifetime taught me more than I ever wanted to know about tires.
Any who here is a link to their recommendation...

Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that video Dave, I have added to this post .
Some people will have to get up before the sun on departure day.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I check my tires before I leave home and periodically during travel. My experience is that tire pressure will vary by up to 5 pounds due to temperature changes. I set tires when weather about 72 and if it is 50 when I get ready to travel they may be 5 pounds less. If I am traveling south where I expect temperature to be around 72, I do not inflate tires. Inflating tires daily and/or adjusting daily is NOT practical and I don't think it is needed
Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #26

I also like to try and "keep it simples".

1. Calc'ed my recommend tire pressure and round up. Add air to the rounded up psi number
2. A quick check every morning (TPMS) to see if it is in the typical range.
3. About 60 minutes after hitting the road (operational temp) I check to see if it is in the normal operating range.

I have no need or desire to fiddle with the pressure on a daily basis for minor variations in pressure (typically + or - 5 to 8 lbs).

Keep it simple. Keep it safe.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Hi Bill,

I am considering a TPMS (use them all the time on the cars).

Can you recommend a good brand?

I have been reading on iRV2 threads about different TPMS systems. Seems some have trouble with leaky senors, hard to program, faulty readings? Hmmmm - seems like more work and worry. I have found an internal sensor system that I would consider having mounted...........

Thoughts?

Thanks,

g
I use the Pressure Pro and one of my RV buddies use the TST system. Both are excellent and work well on long rigs with trailers or toads. The Pressure Pro sensors have been upgraded and now incorporate a O ring which insures a good seal on the stem (I replaced my sensors to get this feature).

Either one should meet your needs, provide peace of mind and help to insure a safer driving environment.

Lots of good info on irv2 and other sites.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
AGREE:
Yes its a good idea not to fiddle with tires after checking in morning, psi after hitting road will change 10 to 20 psi from heat.

Tags
cold weather, tire pressure