Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #1

Cold weather usage

Hi everyone,
I'm a relatively new owner, RV and Newmar, since June. We are in Colorado and the temperatures are dropping below freezing this Tuesday for several days. I hadn't planned for or expected this and feeling a little unprepared. Done lots of reading and it seems the coach should be fine, but I would like to hear from some experienced owners that might have some good advice.

Thanks,
Allan
Anelkin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #2

We used to winter camp well into the negative C temps in our Itasca. Turn on the heat (diesel/propane) and you may want a small space heater for the bedroom. But you are probably just fine. Our outside shower froze once but because I’d not used it in a very long while there was no water to crack the hoses.

Close the windshield shade overnight but do remember to open it in the morning or the condensation will be building all day and making a lake up front...
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #3

I camped in 18f weather, just keep the heat on, most RVs have basement heat.
I’m sure your mh does.
I did Mother’s Day in upstate NY in May, got down to 25f and it snowed. No big deal. This new one went thru it ok. My old one went thru many cold nights.
If you have propane, make sure it’s full, the furnace burns thru it.
If you have aqua hot, make sure you have diesel.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post
We used to winter camp well into the negative C temps in our Itasca. Turn on the heat (diesel/propane) and you may want a small space heater for the bedroom. But you are probably just fine. Our outside shower froze once but because I’d not used it in a very long while there was no water to crack the hoses.

Close the windshield shade overnight but do remember to open it in the morning or the condensation will be building all day and making a lake up front...

Disconnect from the water source and run off your tank, or get a heated hose. If well below freezing you may want to leave cabinet doors open where there is plumbing inside. Also leave a faucet slowly dripping overnight. You may also want to add a utility light or small space heater in your water bay.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Allan - You don't tell us what model coach you have and that will have some bearing on what advice you should be given. General advice is to fill your fresh water tank and disconnect the hose unless you have a heated hose. Same for the slinky. The areas of the coach that are susceptible to the cold can usually be taken care of by running the heat, either a propane furnace or Oasis. Cold is relative and a few hours below freezing are not anything to worry about, if it is going down into the low 20's and below without relief (and especially if there is a wind) then you need to be prepared. One other Newmar specific issue is to turn off and drain the hot water line that goes to the generator if you are so equipped. Hope this helps somewhat. Please post your coach year and model in your signature, it will help a lot.

Tom
Old 09-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
In general the late model gas powered coaches (2008 up) do not have insulated wet bays and the DP's do. Don't know what they did with the new Canyon Star which is a Diesel Puller. That makes a difference as the insulated bays stand up to cold weather a lot better.

That said, the advice given above is good. The LP furnace in gas coaches does heat the wet bays. I super insulated, added heat and remote temperature transmitters with alarms to our coach and used it all winter for skiing without winterizing but that's a lot of effort.

If you are at all concerned, winterize, it's not worth the cost to gamble with the cold weather.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #7

Thank you all!!
Everyone's post was helpful and added to my confidence level. The coach is plugged in but we aren't staying in it as we have a condo here in Beaver Creek, CO. I was there all morning just checking things and making sure the Oasis was working. First time it's ever been on. All is OK. Any comments on the water pump, ON or OFF?? Thanks again everyone, I am much calmer now and feel prepared and safe.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
If the outside temps are going to be as cold as you indicated, I would also find/install an anti-gel supplement for the diesel fuel. Diesel fuel can get sluggish and most likely not flow very well at those temps so the oasis might not work for heat. If available at your location, Walmart has Power Service in the "white" bottle reasonably priced. I would add either (2) qt size bottles or by they might have a 64oz size.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Not living in it ...

Drain all tanks make sure you open a faucet .

Drain water heater ...

Air don’t freeze
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #10

Seen worst

Got caught in a wind storm last winter in kingston ontario, had to stop for the night because of the strong crosswinds, during the night temp went from +2 c to -24c , had my insidw coach heating , everything was okay in the moring and nothing had froze , but i guest i was lucky, i guess for few hours nothing bad can happen
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather