RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #1

Collateral Damage Done By Service

Have you ever had your car in for service and had something damaged that wasn't an issue earlier? I know I can think of at least twice in my lifetime. But that's car dealers.................

RV's are a whole other matter! I have experienced many that have occurred over the last 18 years. Here are some.

Dealer Screw Ups (All Newmar covering 4 units)

* Dealer ordered the wrong interior colors and some options.
* Roof resealed only for general maintenance. Leaked like a sieve that night.
* Installed power visors. One fell off and hit wife's head while driving 3 days later.
* Had passenger side heater mixture valve replaced. Heater core pipe damaged and leaked shortly there after. Heater core required replacement.
* Had turbo tube replaced through bedroom floor. Carpeting covered in grease.
* Replaced front wheel bearing. Broke the plastic Stemco Seal face causing a leak within a day's run.
* Had tire sensor replaced. Sensor let loose after about 1000 miles as it was only sticky taped on the rim inside.
* Tire loosing air at valve stem and rim. This was also after the sensor was replaced as above.
* Tech stepped on LED center stoplight strip while servicing rear camera. Light broken.

Well, these are just some that I recall. I doubt we would tolerate these kind of collateral issues at the frequency that these have happened if it was our automobile. Why do we accept this with an RV?

I know one major issue is for dealers to find, hire, and keep, qualified skilled help. This, in part, may be driven by the RV industry being somewhat seasonal as apposed to the auto market. Either way, there is certainly room for improvement, and at the cost of these toys, that improvement is well justified.

I doubt I'm the only one that has experienced this frustrating problem!

Peter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

New car, radio did not work. Ordered replacement when at least 30 in lot. 2 hour drive to replace radio, tech scratches dash. Dealer has young buck order new dash part. Part in, drive 2 hours to have part replaced. Dealer ordered wrong part. Another round trip, finally replaced. Drove car for another 212,000 miles mostly trouble free. It does happen in auto industry.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With my cars I only go to dealers as I've had more of that bad luck with the small private shops. With RV's I don't have the luxury of going to a dealer or I would. If I can't fix it myself, then I have to rely on the local non-dealer shops to hopefully get it right. So far I've been batt'n pretty good.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes just picked up coach from Cummings for repair, grease all over carpet was pure disrespect for our coach. I'll know next time to tape some plastic down.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Cummins "Oasis" center. Replaced slide controller. Didn't attach the unit to the wall, just left it hanging by wires. Newmar just replaced again. They think this pro bent the wires under the jumper causing the controller to malfunction.

Dealer or independent do what the gipper would do; trust but verify. When you find a good tech always go back to them. If the shop is large make sure only that tech touches your coach. If the business won't work with you on this, walk.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its getting tough finding people who take the responsibility and owning up to their mistakes in working on your prized possessions.
My sons in business can't find the help for responsibility either.
One reason my coach never saw a dealer other than for recall work.
The complexity of your newer coach's may not allow that to happen, Newmar needs more responsible Tech's on the road like BrooksW.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #7

Yes. there are exceptions to the tech state. Terry. who was a field service tech for North Trail was great! I used him many times. He would come out to the park and could fix anything!

Sadly, he is now, or at least was, working in the shop in a supervisory position. Anyway, what a great tech!

Dirk, who is BrookW?

Peter
Old 10-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3281164]
The complexity of your newer coach's may not allow that to happen, Newmar needs more responsible Tech's on the road like [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-technician-introduction-236214.html?highlight=brooksw
BrooksW.[/URL][/B]
Spoke with Brooks yesterday by phone. Good guy. Equal distance for me from Denver, as to Nappanee or LA, for repairs.

Definitely someone I'll connect with someday.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Peter, BrooksW is a Mobil Tech who trained at Newmar and at the time works for dealer in Texas, he is now out on his own and is more or less through out the central states.
He was at the HOOT's rally last year and can be at HWH or any other Newmar MFG supplier.
He is the son of SWag on this forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #10

Excellent! Another great source that may work throughout the country is "truckdown.com" I was given it by Spartan when I had a wheel bearing failure. What a great service! Had me back on the road in no time.

Always great to hear of good service locations and people.

Peter
Old 10-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

You Want Service Too?

Tough subject you bring up! I come from a business that required quality service or my business was done.

How did we get quality service technicians for our appliance stores to stay with our biz? I paid them, and I paid them well. The benefits, wages, and vacation had to be very generous or off they go to the next guy for an extra quarter an hour.

I was extremely lucky to sell when I did, with the likes of Lowes, Home Depot, and other big box operations infringing on our livelihood, how was I to compete with only 3 locations in a hundred mile raduis?

As good as we were on the service end, we were a peanut store compared to the big boxes. I did not have the buying power or inventory selections. I did not invest in smooth talking sales people, I relied on reputation, honesty, and quality service until I saw the writing on the wall.

We are all guilty of the poor service in the RV industry. "Pick out your options and fire it off to 10 dealers for the best PRICE".

How does the dealer with the best service personnel win on price?

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I lived the experience, just trying to enlighten some to the other side of things.

Peace!

joe4rvfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service