Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wish that was true. Don't try that in CA. Cost me over $400.
Sorry, can't actually speak for California. We visited there and checked off the sights we wanted to see and won't be going back so my experience was limited. However, I can assure you that was and probably is the attitude of 90% of the Troopers in Illinois (based on my career as one).
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I agree that if you had been at that exact same spot at 65mph and the car pulled out, the results would have been disastrous.

I am thankful for your safety in the situation.

There is is a flaw in the blanket statement of speed killing. I dont know your exact situation so I am taking some creative liberty to make my point.

Assuming you had been on the road for 5 minutes with 57mph cruise, setting it to 65mph would have been safer in this exact situation because you would have been well beyond the dangerous driver trying to pass, and never would have had your life pass before your eyes.

Same is true if cruise was set at 50mph.
In this situation I could have left our lunch spot 3 minutes sooner, still been going 57mph and possibly been a little closer and been killed by the same stupid driver.

I understand what you are saying, just being "at the right place at the wrong time" can get you killed.

Spending 34 years as a LEO, many of which were as a Trooper, I can tell you my memory is filled with stories of crashes where excessive speed was either the direct cause or a contributing factor.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:38 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
We cruise between 66-67 mph in our LA. I see many must cruise at 75 mph. Maybe something is wrong with ours, I feel out of control at that speed. Do others feel comfortable cruising at 75?
Do what works for YOU. .

I used to do 75 all the time - but now try to stay in the 62-65 range - Got off the I's and drive more often on the state Roads - Smoother less traffic and just more fun. .

Stay in your Comfort Zone - and Be Safe. .

Enjoy the trip,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #74

The most common answer seems to be between 62-65 but few have indicated that most/many toads limit towing speed to 65. That is why I don't exceed 65 MPH. My toad sets my speed limit. The other important consideration is MPG. In generally, the lower the speed, the higher the MPG.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #75

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Me too 62-65 on feeways, cruise control, exhaust brake and economy mode on, weather and road conditions taken into account.

At this speed I'm comfortably in 6th gear and the transmission doesn't hunt between 6th and 5th on hills like it does under 60.
Anything over 65 and my fuel economy takes a dive as we all know, which isn't good to start with!

Also, my toad towing limit is 65 as per GM, and I know they will say "tough, no warranty" if something goes wrong over 65.
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #76

We yesterday drove our "new" 1996 Tiffin Allegro 25' RV 90 miles to get her home for first time.

She drove so nice and gentle we immediately named her "Sweetie"! She's a good old bird with only 36K miles. Prev orig owner well cared for her.

We plan to keep Sweetie in really good condition.

She liked 60 to 65 mph. Also, felt OK at 70 to 75. For safety, relaxed driving and fuel econo 60-65 will usually have cruise control set. Took some pretty steep hills maintaining 63 mph with no prob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Day Home 3-23-29.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	239281  
RM Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
In this situation I could have left our lunch spot 3 minutes sooner, still been going 57mph and possibly been a little closer and been killed by the same stupid driver.

I understand what you are saying, just being "at the right place at the wrong time" can get you killed.

Spending 34 years as a LEO, many of which were as a Trooper, I can tell you my memory is filled with stories of crashes where excessive speed was either the direct cause or a contributing factor.
Agree whole heartedly. Most of the fatal accident scenes I investigated had exceeding speed listed on the report. Many of them were single vehicle accidents.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #78

My opinion...Here it is. If you drive a motorhome or a travel trailer at 75, you don't have a good understanding of safety or you don't have much 'grey matter' up there. You are reckless and you endanger others with your recklessness. If you don't care what happens to you or your family, that's your choice, but by driving that speed, you are a danger to others. Slow down.
Danj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #79

We're all different, and to a large extent our comfortable cruising speed is a reflection on our personalities!
I have a Sprinter Class B and make a point of cruising at 65 on the Interstates and 60 on lesser roads, never more than that. But I'm much more relaxed and at ease doing 55!!
As for the actual cruise settings, I set it at 1mph less than the above so the general traffic flow, which usually sets their cruising speed at increments of 5mph, overtakes me rather than me doing the overtaking. A lot less stress on a long run.
ukdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #80

63 to 65 is real comfortable and better on gas. JMHO
Recalculatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #81

Its very basic as when I was in the trucking business the big factor is pushing into the wind and as a example lets say it tales 300 hp to 60 mph ,a true fact is it tales aprox 15 hp more to 61 mph , 30 hp more to go 62 mph, 45 hp more to go 63 mph ect.so just find your spot as the more hp the more fuel you will use, with that said find a speed you are comfortable with and cruise at that speed ..Also remember be responsible and the faster you go the longer it takes to stop your rig! and 10 mph will only get you there a 1/2 hour earlier you are driving a big rig so be responsible for your actions
bwyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalculatin View Post
63 to 65 is real comfortable and better on gas. JMHO
58-60. Much more relaxing. Better on gas. I'm retired. I've got lots of time.
paaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #83

I just set the cruise control to 65 and enjoy the ride. This in our class A DP. I don’t care who passes me.
markgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #84

Entegra Owners Club
63-64mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
I mostly stay at 63 - 64 mph. That's my comfort zone.
Agree with Bill, 63-64 for a few reasons. Best fuel mileage, safety concerns and our toad is limited to 65mph as per Fords specs. Finally there are too many crazies out there doing 75. The idea is to enjoy the ride not see who gets there faster.
LarryLS is offline   Reply With Quote