Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2022, 12:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Comfort Drive

Reviewed whatís on this site. No go since we have a 2022 DS 4369. 3500 miles and the Comfort Drive stopped working. Turned off chassis batteries, rebooted still no go. Anyone experience this? Plan to call TRW and Freightliner in the morning. Is there a fuse for this system? TIA
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2022, 01:29 PM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Check the fluid level in the hydraulic reservoir in the rear. We had 2 freightliner coaches come in and it was low. It causes the comfort drive to not work. If that doesnít correct it, then you need to have freightliner look at it. We had an American coach that the harness had rubbed on and it stopped the comfort drive. They repaired the harness and had the customer on his way.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #3

Iím sure this is a silly question but how do you know if itís not working?
Cooterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooterbrown View Post
Iím sure this is a silly question but how do you know if itís not working?
In my opinion, youíll know if itís not working simply because your steering wonít return to straight ahead. Your coach will start wandering even on a calm day.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Bobby Dowdle;6211905]Check the fluid level in the hydraulic reservoir in the rear. We had 2 freightliner coaches come in and it was low. It causes the comfort drive to not work.

Would you be talking about the power steering reservoir? I have a Freightliner chassis and I never seen a separate reservoir for the comfort drive. Maybe I've missed it.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Found this, might gain some insight. https://youtu.be/jJdidFngdyM

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Found this 2015 video, might gain some insight. https://youtu.be/jJdidFngdyM

From irv2 2011 post by Ken Sherwin, one of the designers. Might be dated advice as Ken retired 2016 and a new version is online now.

Quote is from the link that follows. “ There is a 5 amp fuse to the ignition line of the Comfort Drive that you can pull, then it won't come on. If you can't locate the 5 amp fuse, there is also a 40 amp fuse to the power connector of the Comfort Drive, but the 5 amp fuse is the much-preferred one. ”

Link to entire post: See post #30 https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new...-100199-3.html

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-13-2022, 04:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I lost the Comfort Drive after working on my chassis batteries. Drove the coach about 30 miles before pulling off at a rest area and doing some research. Here is the wake-up procedure I found to get it working.

Wake-Up Procedure
Normal Wake-up Procedure that must be performed every time the battery is disconnected and reconnected.
Step 1: Turn the ignition key on. You should hear a "click" in the ColumnDrive. If you do not hear the "click", turn the key off, listening for another "click". If the ColumnDrive does not "click" at key on or key off, electrical troubleshooting is required.
NOTE: Mechanical misassembly will not make the Column fail to “click”.
Step 2: Start the engine. If the steering wheel is more than 90 degrees from straight ahead, position the steering wheel to straight ahead, then shut the engine off and restart it.
Step 3: Slowly move the steering wheel about 45 degrees either side of straight ahead several times. During one of the passes across straight-ahead, the torque to turn the wheel will suddenly get much lighter and the steering wheel will try to return to straight-ahead. The system is now awake and ready to drive.

Reference: TRW ColumnDrive Diagnostics and Installation Procedures
August 30, 2013
Dave.FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:26 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
In my opinion, youíll know if itís not working simply because your steering wonít return to straight ahead. Your coach will start wandering even on a calm day.
Itís like driving a semi truck with no power steering. A real PIA
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:28 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Bobbie. Only reservoir I found was power steering and it’s full. Calling Newmar in a couple of minutes.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:13 AM   #11
Official iRV2 Sponsor

That the correct one. If itís full, you will need to get into freightliner. Hopefully, Newmar can assist you with your issue. Bobby.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:58 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
What You Need to Know About the 2021/2022 Comfort Drive

We lost our CD system on our coach with 3500 miles. All of the calibration procedures on this site are no longer valid for the 2021/22 CD as an almost total redesign has taken place since ZF bought TRW. There are no consumer fuses to access; all calibration must be done with a proprietary ZF/TRW test equipment with only 25 test kits available nationwide. In most cases a catastrophic failure, like we had, requires the CD “column” to be replaced. My hat’s off to Independence RV, ZF/TRW, Newmar, Fleet Maintenance Oasis Service Center in West Seneca NY, and FCCC. They all went above and beyond to source parts and the calibration tool to hopefully get us back on the road as quickly as possible. If you experience a CD failure, be patient and be nice. You can gather more flies with sugar than salt.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
We lost our CD system on our coach with 3500 miles. All of the calibration procedures on this site are no longer valid for the 2021/22 CD as an almost total redesign has taken place since ZF bought TRW. There are no consumer fuses to access; all calibration must be done with a proprietary ZF/TRW test equipment with only 25 test kits available nationwide. In most cases a catastrophic failure, like we had, requires the CD ďcolumnĒ to be replaced. My hatís off to Independence RV, ZF/TRW, Newmar, Fleet Maintenance Oasis Service Center in West Seneca NY, and FCCC. They all went above and beyond to source parts and the calibration tool to hopefully get us back on the road as quickly as possible. If you experience a CD failure, be patient and be nice. You can gather more flies with sugar than salt.
Good to know, thank you. Glad you got it sorted out.

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-30-2022, 03:47 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
We lost our CD system on our coach with 3500 miles. All of the calibration procedures on this site are no longer valid for the 2021/22 CD as an almost total redesign has taken place since ZF bought TRW. There are no consumer fuses to access; all calibration must be done with a proprietary ZF/TRW test equipment with only 25 test kits available nationwide. In most cases a catastrophic failure, like we had, requires the CD “column” to be replaced. My hat’s off to Independence RV, ZF/TRW, Newmar, Fleet Maintenance Oasis Service Center in West Seneca NY, and FCCC. They all went above and beyond to source parts and the calibration tool to hopefully get us back on the road as quickly as possible. If you experience a CD failure, be patient and be nice. You can gather more flies with sugar than salt.
Unbelievable. Five hour drive home, when I pulled in to the storage area and set the park brake I got: “Park Brake Not Set”. I had gotten this before the very day I picked up the coach. So I knew it was the 5 amp F27 “Brake Logic” fuse. But when I turned the coach off to unhook and restarted, I also had a “Steering Effort Ctrl DIsabled” warning.

Always seems to happen at the end of a trip?

So here I am. Will try my Independence RV in Winter Garden tomorrow but don’t expect any help. WIll also file complaint with NHTSA.

BTW: I always start out nice, you can always go hard a$$ later.

Anyway, I pulled the blown fuse, popped another in and both warnings went away. But something is wrong. And since it is possible the Park Brake is NOT set, I have to deal with that. Test in D, set chocks, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A961283A-4968-4CC9-AF4B-0138DD63BED7.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	369791

Click image for larger version

Name:	A6CB8735-3BCE-49DC-88AF-27E83DDDA038.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	369792

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler