Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Comfort Drive & Passive Steering

I've started shopping for a Newmar, my wants are 2015 or newer, and something 43' to 45' in the Dutch Star, Mountain Aire, or London Aire Line. I believe all of those models will have the Comfort Drive system as standard equipment, but my question is on the Passive Steering system. Is that also a standard item, or an optional item, and if so, how do you tell if a coach has the Passive Steering or not? And does the Passive Steering system make much difference in maneuvering?
Any additional tips on what to look for or what to stay away from in general would be greatly appreciated. I currently have a 2009 40' Monaco that's been great, but thinking of moving up a bit and REALLY want a coach with the Comfort Drive steering assist system. Thanks!!
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had a 2005 Dutch Star. I replaced it with a 2016 London Aire. The Comfort Drive is amazing. I would never have another MH without it. I now have a passive tag. It does reduce tire scrubbing. As far as maneuverability My Freightliner chassis has a different turn radius than my Spartan did. So it's difficult to say if it makes a big difference. I know that this MH is so much easier, and less tiring, to drive.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #3

Would also suggest a 2016 our newer for the STAR chassis plus HWH slide operation. The 17 model year brought the steerable tag axle and the 3 step for the LA. We are very pleased with the X-15 engine for both fuel economy and power. As a long time Newmar owner the Spartan chassis would be on our list of most have items to get.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Would also suggest a 2016 our newer for the STAR chassis plus HWH slide operation. The 17 model year brought the steerable tag axle and the 3 step for the LA. We are very pleased with the X-15 engine for both fuel economy and power. As a long time Newmar owner the Spartan chassis would be on our list of most have items to get.
Newmar Man
Can you elaborate on your recommendations any? What is your fuel economy and power like, and why the Spartan chassis over the Freightliner? Also in the London Aire line, I noticed a lot of 2015 models for sale, but not many other year models. Was there any problems with the 2015's?
Old 04-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Passive steering cuts down on the radius of the turn a bit. Look at the tag axle wheel. If it looks like a steer wheel and not a drive wheel, then it has it. I'm not sure if it is standard on every dp but I have it on my Ventana and like it.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgreenair View Post
Can you elaborate on your recommendations any? What is your fuel economy and power like, and why the Spartan chassis over the Freightliner? Also in the London Aire line, I noticed a lot of 2015 models for sale, but not many other year models. Was there any problems with the 2015's?

We bought a 17 LA was going to get a 16 model year, but was 1st year for HWH FWS and the models we looked at had sloping floors on FWS section. They had a retrofit at Newmar for 16 year models to correct sloping FWS. Friends have 15 LA, no problems but the differences are Electric FWS with carpet, no passive steer tag axle, different entry steps, 30 amp power with camera connection for stacker trailer and Voraid adaptive cruise control. If you can live with those small differences and a good deal is to be had I would look at the 15 model years...
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #7

Took me about 5000 miles to learn "comfort drive". I would never have own another RV without it now! Good luck.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
We bought a 17 LA was going to get a 16 model year, but was 1st year for HWH FWS and the models we looked at had sloping floors on FWS section. They had a retrofit at Newmar for 16 year models to correct sloping FWS. Friends have 15 LA, no problems but the differences are Electric FWS with carpet, no passive steer tag axle, different entry steps, 30 amp power with camera connection for stacker trailer and Voraid adaptive cruise control. If you can live with those small differences and a good deal is to be had I would look at the 15 model years...
How different is the HWH slides over the electric? And what is the 30 amp power with camera connection for stacker trailer, I have no idea what this is?? Thanks

Tags
steering