Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #1
dms

Comfort drive dead

2016 MA Comfort drive has died. Talked with Ken Sherwin and the code is fatal. Seems that if you get too many " column drive off" messages, the system turns off and cannot be reset.

Went to Gaffney and the entire steering column has to be replaced for $8,100.

With on 39k miles, I'm not a happy camper.

Anyone else had this issue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
2016 MA Comfort drive has died. Talked with Ken Sherwin and the code is fatal. Seems that if you get too many " column drive off" messages, the system turns off and cannot be reset.

Went to Gaffney and the entire steering column has to be replaced for $8,100.

With on 39k miles, I'm not a happy camper.

Anyone else had this issue?
This is not a pleasant situation to contemplate. Can you elaborate on “column drive off” messages:

- how do they originate?
- any way to prevent them from occurring?
- how many is too many?
- can you monitor them as they accumulate?

This might be a good article for Ken to write up if there are any preventative, protective, or predictive measures we can take. (Ken?)

Also not to contradict the most reliable source on this, but it seems odd that all the hardware including the drive unit and actual column would have to be replaced when its clearly an electronic component that failed. The steel in the column didn't fail, the motor in the drive didn't go bad.

It seems to me you are not getting good or complete information. Or perhaps FL just buys complete CD units and the electronic control portion isn't available separately.

But even if thats the case, and you have to buy the whole unit, they should still be able to just replace the failed part and save you a bunch of unnecessary labor.

Something sounds very wrong about this.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #3
dms

If for some reason the unit does not respond when the engine is started, the "column drive off" message will appear on the LBCU.

If so, you can wake the unit up, usually by driving and turning left and right. If not, there is a wake up procedure.

According to Ken, every failure must have 5 successful trips to erase the failure. If 5 failures occur with not enough successful trips to erase them, the unit self destructs and is dead.

I've had occasional failures since new, but didn't know about 5 failures and death. Had Gaffney and newmar check it out, but neither could replicate a failure.

Now I'm stuck with an $8,100 tab with only 39k miles.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just a curious question: How does it drive when in that “off” condition?

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Just a curious question: How does it drive when in that “off” condition?

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Right - does it operate like it's on “3”, or no assistance and auto return to center, or is power steering disabled?
Old 09-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If for some reason the unit does not respond when the engine is started, the "column drive off" message will appear on the LBCU.

If so, you can wake the unit up, usually by driving and turning left and right. If not, there is a wake up procedure.

According to Ken, every failure must have 5 successful trips to erase the failure. If 5 failures occur with not enough successful trips to erase them, the unit self destructs and is dead.

I've had occasional failures since new, but didn't know about 5 failures and death. Had Gaffney and newmar check it out, but neither could replicate a failure.

Now I'm stuck with an $8,100 tab with only 39k miles.
This is the kind of information, like preventative measures to care for the stupidly fragile emissions systems, that you don't get in advance from Newmar, dealers, or Freightliner. Its not in the book. It seems to me there is some responsibility that falls on FL and Newmar. I get that most dealers don't know anything and are not reliable sources for information. But if this is known and not disclosed, it amounts to fraud.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
dms

You still have power steering but a feeble help. On turns, steering is hard and does not return to center.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You still have power steering but a feeble help. On turns, steering is hard and does not return to center.
In all the literature I’ve found so far, I don't see any reference to:

“ every failure must have 5 successful trips to erase the failure. If 5 failures occur with not enough successful trips to erase them, the unit self destructs and is dead.”

Perhaps there should be an “RP004” in this document:

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/globa...sp/cdv-101.pdf (not included with the info package btw)

I’ll keep looking. But you shouldnt have to be a detective to learn these things. I still see a lot of culpability on the part of FL and Newmar. Newmar will say its a chassis issue, but they are selling them without sufficient instructions.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #9

Not sure this will help, but here is a YouTube on resetting the CD.

JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Had the same issue a dead CD on my 08 madp. Went to Spartan this April to get a new one. Was a 5,000 hit to the wallet. I ran without it for a year and finally had to bite the bullet. If I had not ever had the CD I would have not missed it but it was one of the main reasons I bought the coach in the first place. I can say I still haven't regretted getting the new CD installed.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #11

That is a tough one. Can you still drive it?
One would think you could replace the PCB without changing the entire system.
Any chance of a used one?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcG View Post
Not sure this will help, but here is a YouTube on resetting the CD.

JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
Great video - a keeper for sure. Interesting he had to pull the fuses to get it to re-set.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
That is a tough one. Can you still drive it?
One would think you could replace the PCB without changing the entire system.
Any chance of a used one?
Looking at this pic, it appears the electronics are pretty well buried in the unit. Dumb!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71C3B5D8-03A2-4CB4-95E4-21EE5FAD4322.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	343582  
Old 09-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #14

My 2018 DSDP failed in the first year. After having it reset with the “special comfort drive software” 4 times, only to have it turn off after 50 or so miles, I asked Spartan to start replacing parts… it was costing me a fortune in fuel to go get it checked/reset. NOthing replaceable on the column. It’s the whole thing. Glad it happened early so it was covered. If was a frustrating few months and i was starting to wish I had just kept my old Ventana LE that didn’t have comfort drive.

Good luck.
Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote