Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Comfort Drive feels like MAX at engine start

Something is acting up with my comfort drive. A few weeks ago before I took it to storage I started it up and started driving. The wheel was very stiff as if CD was at max. I turned it to 1 and the wheel "released" (like a pop) and it was fine. I then dialed it back to my typical spot of 3.5.

Today I went to pick it up from storage and again the wheel was stiff and it was last left on 1. I tried turning it up and then down and nothing, it was not changing and the wheel was very stiff. I had to shut down to hookup the toad so I figured that may be the trick. It was. After restarting CD was normal again.

Anyone else had this type of issue with comfort drive?

Oddly too when I start I hear a clicking noise almost like a turn signal but it's not the turn signal. I release the air brake and put it in drive and that noise goes away. Possibly unrelated. Friggin gremlins!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Something is acting up with my comfort drive. A few weeks ago before I took it to storage I started it up and started driving. The wheel was very stiff as if CD was at max. I turned it to 1 and the wheel "released" (like a pop) and it was fine. I then dialed it back to my typical spot of 3.5.

Today I went to pick it up from storage and again the wheel was stiff and it was last left on 1. I tried turning it up and then down and nothing, it was not changing and the wheel was very stiff. I had to shut down to hookup the toad so I figured that may be the trick. It was. After restarting CD was normal again.

Oddly too when I start I hear a clicking noise almost like a turn signal but it's not the turn signal. I release the air brake and put it in drive and that noise goes away. Possibly unrelated. Friggin gremlins!
Sounds like you are not letting the computers sequence their startup algorithms completely.
Try just turning on the key and let it go thru all the clicking, when that quits, then start.
The CD may be one of the last systems "enabled"
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Sounds like you are not letting the computers sequence their startup algorithms completely.
Try just turning on the key and let it go thru all the clicking, when that quits, then start.
The CD may be one of the last systems "enabled"
I typically wait for the diesel yellow light to go out and then start. I could wait a bit longer. Hasn't been an issue for 6 months until now.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Related thread with good info: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/comf...ml#post3639847

I did have the chassis battery in disconnect while in storage, possibly in both of these situations. Learning continues.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post

We had the same problem. Newmar checked out our CD and it was fine. They reference that the CD can "go to sleep". They suggested putting the dial on 0 when starting it, let the starting sequence run its course to an exaggerated extent, and turn the wheel all the way to right and then all the way to the left and it will "wakeup" the CD. Since we have done that we haven't had the CD seem like it was on 6 when it was on 0.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #6

This behavior is completely normal. This has nothing to do with the position of the efforts control and everything to do with the fact that it was in storage with the battery off, I assume. The CD must relocate its straight ahead position as described in question 33 of the Tour of the Comfort Drive.

The link is in a sticky at the top of this forum but you can go directly to it here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=232

I strongly recommend that anybody with a Comfort Drive download and read this document to better understand this unique device. That's why I wrote it.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Ken - Just a pat on the back. We just recently came across west Texas is some miserable winds. In fact when my wife exited the coach at a rest area she nearly fell over from the wind. The coach tracked wonderfully and it definitely cut the pucker factor to nearly nil. Before buying our Newmar I wondered if CD was a sales gimmick. No, it is for real. Thanks for the good work. Wouldn't be without it in any coach.

Tom
Old 01-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
This behavior is completely normal. This has nothing to do with the position of the efforts control and everything to do with the fact that it was in storage with the battery off, I assume. The CD must relocate its straight ahead position as described in question 33 of the Tour of the Comfort Drive.

The link is in a sticky at the top of this forum but you can go directly to it here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=232

I strongly recommend that anybody with a Comfort Drive download and read this document to better understand this unique device. That's why I wrote it.
Thank you. Homework downloaded. I'll read it soon and prepare for the test.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #9

Got beat to the answer. Chassis battery disconnect. Read Ken's Most Excellent CD Adventure Guide, copy the battery disconnect procedure to a 4x6 card and keep it handy.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #10

That “clicking” sound is probably your fuel pump. Let it finish clicking before starting
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Neal.....you may have to be punished if you keep creating unnecessary issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Neal.....you may have to be punished if you keep creating unnecessary issues.

Instead I’m charging a fee for winter entertainment [emoji481]
Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Comfort Drive feels like MAX at engine start

Hey cut Neal some slack, he started his day with the news that Spartan is breaking in to the 37’ market.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Hey cut Neal some slack, he stared his day with the news that Spartan is breaking in to the 37’ market.
That means the chassis is going to stick out the front 6 feet? Great place to mount a selfie stick!

Tags
engine