Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
Please see my answers in red.
Thanks Ken. That helps a bunch.
JMWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #16

Wow Ken!

Thanks, I really appreciated this. I now have a very good understanding of what the system does now.

Larry
lbnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Gonna jump in here to ask a question....is the comfort drive included on the Bay Star coaches or just the higher end ones? We are looking at the Bay Star 3014. Thx
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt13 View Post
Gonna jump in here to ask a question....is the comfort drive included on the Bay Star coaches or just the higher end ones? We are looking at the Bay Star 3014. Thx

Standard on diesels only. It is not available on the gas models.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Standard on diesels only. It is not available on the gas models.
Ok, thanks. Funny, it's the smaller gas models that have the handling issues so you'd think that's where they would use it.
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #20

Great article. Sometime it is hard to separate the sales hype of a particular feature from the true practical value. This article does that.
woodwardmpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt13 View Post
Ok, thanks. Funny, it's the smaller gas models that have the handling issues so you'd think that's where they would use it.
The CD requires the J1939 data bus to read what's going on in the coach so it can respond correctly. I'm not sure but I think that's only available on the diesels.

I'm also speculating that the smaller gassers are so price competitive that the CD isn't really affordable.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #22

Ken, what J1939 data is CD using?
I suspect the equivalent is available on the Gas bus. Certainly would require some firmware changes.

I have a suspicion the real reason CD is diesel only is to keep the diesel as the premium offering.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #23

Rather than continuing this discussion here, I've started a new thread for it. Please go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/cont...ml#post4412433 for it.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
First Test Drive

Thanks very much for making this feature very understandable. I'll be test driving a 2012 Ventana this weekend and this has given me a clear understanding of how CD should work!
TravelingTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #25

Thank you. That's why I wrote it.

You might find it helpful to have a paper copy of the driving portion to follow as you test drive.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ken --

Very good document especially for we engineering "geeks" (I'm a chemical engineer). My wife and I just two weeks ago became proud owners of a "new to us", very gently used 2016 Ventana LE 4037. We purchased it from National Indoor RV in Dallas (traded-in our 2007 Damon Astoria 3774). During the drive home to Katy, TX (Houston area) we had breezy conditions as we traversed the Hill Country area. I set the Comfort Drive set at "4" and gave very little effort to keep the Ventana LE "on the straight an narrow) during a gust of wind or by a blast of air from a passing semi-truck. I would have "fought hard" to keep the Astoria on a straight path in those conditions.

One thing missing for me from your well written document was "what does the Comfort Drive system look like? So, per your description of the manufacturer I "Googled" the ReAX column mounted electronic steering "device". Having a picture of the ReAX "hardware" greatly helps visualize your written description (for me anyway). Adding photos / images of the ReAX system to your document may be helpful for others. Here is a link to the ReAX column mounted system --> https://www.zf.com/products/en/truck...cts_40521.html

Again, your document about the Comfort Drive system is fantastic and very much appreciated especially for folks like me who are new to the Newmar family of diesel pusher motorhomes.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Oops, that post reminds me that I need to update my signature....
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Here is a link to the ReAX column mounted system --> https://www.zf.com/products/en/truck...cts_40521.html
This is the next-generation system that is just now being released.

The 1st-generation system, still currently in production, can be seen at

iRV2 Forums - Files - TRW ColumnDrive Diagnostics

This only shows the powerhead and not the complete column.

Tags
guide