Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Ken --

Very good document especially for we engineering "geeks" (I'm a chemical engineer). My wife and I just two weeks ago became proud owners of a "new to us", very gently used 2016 Ventana LE 4037. We purchased it from National Indoor RV in Dallas (traded-in our 2007 Damon Astoria 3774). During the drive home to Katy, TX (Houston area) we had breezy conditions as we traversed the Hill Country area. I set the Comfort Drive set at "4" and gave very little effort to keep the Ventana LE "on the straight an narrow) during a gust of wind or by a blast of air from a passing semi-truck. I would have "fought hard" to keep the Astoria on a straight path in those conditions.

One thing missing for me from your well written document was "what does the Comfort Drive system look like? So, per your description of the manufacturer I "Googled" the ReAX column mounted electronic steering "device". Having a picture of the ReAX "hardware" greatly helps visualize your written description (for me anyway). Adding photos / images of the ReAX system to your document may be helpful for others. Here is a link to the ReAX column mounted system --> https://www.zf.com/products/en/truck...cts_40521.html

Again, your document about the Comfort Drive system is fantastic and very much appreciated especially for folks like me who are new to the Newmar family of diesel pusher motorhomes.
For a motörhead like me this is pretty cool:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24225E3F-A380-4DB2-AF38-D32B54D4BD0A.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	305390  
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #44

Just so you all know, this picture is the new second generation system that was being finished when I retired in 2016.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Ok I can’t wait for the OP to ask this here, so I’m doing it - care to respond to this question about adding a steering stabilized to a CD equipped coach?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/saf...na-511669.html

FYI, I did re-read all the posts here, and all the FAQ (and some not so FAQ - wow!), and didn’t see steering stabilizers mentioned. My apologies if I missed it somewhere.

Thanks!
Look at question 18 and its response in the tour.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
Look at question 18 and its response in the tour.
Thanks Ken - this was one of the most important elements in my choice of rigs. Post 2008 Newmar (wanted adjustability). I stopped looking at all others for this and other reasons, but this one was pivotal. Again, really appreciate your efforts not just in the design, but in the lengthy explanation(s). Great stuff!

One of the most helpful aspects of CD for me is mountain driving on winding 2-lane highways. When doing this, which is often, I set it low, one or two, and find that it not only limits, or actually eliminates driver fatigue, but it enhances safety as it makes negotiating curves much easier.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Great info Ken. We just purchased our Mountain Aire and this explains CD much better than the salesperson did.
Mountain Aire 2021
dontaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:58 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Like everyone else here has said - thanks for the effort you put into the PDF! Coming from a 41' "Brand X" DP and happily downsizing to our NA3545, we are new to our Newmar and CD, so the info contained therein is immediately valuable to us and I'll bet that it may even more so as we put more miles behind us in varying conditions.

Our NA is a 2020 model - Quick Questions:
  • Are there any relevant changes, additions to the PDF warranted?
  • Should we specifically ask our dealer about any firmware updates?
  • Does anyone know if there are planned upgrades to CD coming?

TIA for your considered replies.

-Randall & Nancy Garrett-
Boerne, TX
Huevolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:30 AM   #49

I do not have any information about the newer generation system. I have now been away from it for 4 years.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Newbie questions

Hello all

I read the entire article and have only two questions

1- if I have a coach with an earlier version of Comfort Drive, can it be updated to a newer version?

2- You repeatedly referenced a “knob”. On the early versions there is no such knob. Is there anything special that we can do?
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #51

A coach without an efforts control cannot easily be upgraded to one with it. Not only do you need a new CD but you also need a new dashboard controller because it actually reads the control and turns it into the properly formatted digital message. I have no idea if the new dashboard controller if otherwise compatible with the old one. It is provided by the chassis maker.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:58 AM   #52

I just had another thought. If you're handy with microcontrollers, you could buy a newer CD and create your own efforts message. Don't expect too much help from any of the OEM Engineering people though. They want you to buy new coaches, not retrofit one-off old ones. there is no incentive for them in that.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #53

Very well designed and executed system. I was originally skeptical but after using the system on two different motor homes I wont be without it. My most favorite setting is 1 or 2. I call it smart power assist for power steering.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #54

Spartan Chassis
Hissing sound (sounds like an air leak)

Hi Ken, if I park my coach and leave the engine running without allowing the CD to self center the steering wheel, I hear sounds coming from the hydraulic motor that is connected to the steering gearbox. Is that an internal valve releasing pressure because the wheels were not allow to center when stopping. If I roll forward and reduce the tire to pavement friction the CD will complete the self centering maneuver and the sound will go away. Is this normal?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #55

You have perfectly described the recentering operation. Yes this is completely normal.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #56

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
You have perfectly described the recentering operation. Yes this is completely normal.
Thanks Ken, I appreciate your quick response!
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide