RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Comfort drive, not so comfortable

Ok, pickup the coach from storage at the dealer test drove with a tech everything works as it should, toke to spartan for service before driving the 12 hours home, hydraulic service was done, air cleaner replaced, height adjustment done, lubed all filters changed ready to go, now for my question about five hours into the trip seating at a rest area, the comfort drive or power steering at idle just seating there turning the wheel nothing unless I move a little then it turns but not seating still, the air cleaner itís already at 25% is that normal? Thanks in advance

Zzotte

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
Ok, pickup the coach from storage at the dealer test drove with a tech everything works as it should, toke to spartan for service before driving the 12 hours home, hydraulic service was done, air cleaner replaced, height adjustment done, lubed all filters changed ready to go, now for my question about five hours into the trip seating at a rest area, the comfort drive or power steering at idle just seating there turning the wheel nothing unless I move a little then it turns but not seating still, the air cleaner itís already at 25% is that normal? Thanks in advance

Zzotte
Are you saying that when the coach is not moving, you can't turn the steering wheel at all. Or, is it just harder to turn?

First, it is never a good idea to turn the front wheels (at least significantly) when the coach is not moving because it is hard on both the tires and the underlying pavement. I have seen significant divots taken out of pavement (especially warm pavement) by doing that.

With the two coaches we've owned that had CD, it was always easier to turn the steering wheel when moving.

TJ

Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #3

I know what you mean but It’s almost impossible to turn it kind of jerks as it tries to turn, call me gulffy but I watched videos more then once demonstrating the ability to turn “with one finger” while standing I’m just naive in believing that? Thanks Jim

Zzotte
Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #4

Is this your first DP or any rig over 30000 Lbs?
You have a lot of weight on the front tires. Turning without moving puts a great deal of stress on the whole steering mechanism.
Think about that poor little pitman arm or tie rod end as your cranking on the wheel trying to force the wheels to turn with zero rolling action to reduce friction. Not like your car or pick up truck.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forgive me for butting in but have you check the fluid level (old school technology) since this started?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

I assume you have the standard vacuum gauge on the air cleaner. This should read around 11 psi when new.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Forgive me for butting in but have you check the fluid level (old school technology) since this started?
X2..check power steering fluid

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Good advice on checking the power steering fluid level.

TJ
Old 04-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I NEVER look at the air cleaner air gauge. I find them worthless. If you reset them and then a pull a grade, they go right back up. Air cleaners on these coaches should be changed either by mileage or time. Three years for time and I don't let mine go over 20K.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
i had my hydraulic system serviced, and when the tech changed out the filter, they didn't seat it properly. the gasket on the filter got twisted, and i lost a mess of fluid on the trip home from the service facility. had hydraulic fluid mist all over the back of the coach and my F150. i needed to add some fluid to the system and get it back for them to fix it properly. then, wash it really well. hydraulic fluid is nasty stuff on paint and clear coat.....

this hydraulic system, on the spartan chassis, also drives the cooling fan for the radiator....so if that is the problem, be careful of an overheat situation.....pull the dipstick on the hydraulic fluid tank in the engine compartment. there are hot and cold level indicators, so you can do it no matter the status of engine temp. if it is low, look for leaks / drips under the filter, which is basically right over the hitch assembly, and behind the rear cap where the access door closes........it is a large, spin on type filter......

i also suppose that if the air intake system took in hydraulic fluid mist, it could certainly give a premature restriction reading on the filter.....but the intake is high enough that i would think that is less likely.....i guess it depends on how long it lasted....i caught mine in 30 miles.....if you went 5 hrs, that could be it....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #11

Dennis, yes itís my first and watched a lot of videos LOL, thanks all for the help I will check the fluid and possible leak if any, total newbie to a Diesel Pusher so a lot to learn

Zzotte
Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #12

I've had my wheel turn a little on it's own while maneuvering into or out of a tight spot and stopping, but I guess I have never been at a stop and tried to sit there and turn the wheel. Where you in "D" or "N" with the brake set?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
ÖÖ the comfort drive or power steering at idle just seating there turning the wheel nothing unless I move a little then it turns but not seating still.....

Zzotte
Do you mean that the steering wheel would not turn at all until you moved the coach or that the steering wheel moved harder than normal for just a moment when you tried to steer?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
On our first trip with our brand new DS back in 2016 our power steering pump leaked all hydraulic fluid. I could not turn the steering wheel at all when not moving. I suspect you have a similar problem. Check your fluid and don't drive the coach until this is taken care of.

Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote