Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Comfort Drive on a Ford f53 Chassis....why not??

I was just wondering if the TRW driver assist steering .."Comfort Drive" as Newmar calls it, can be added to the Ford F53 chassis? What a great move if Newmar would be able to do that. Just wondering...
lionofjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Comfort Drive on a Ford f53 Chassis....why not??

How about cost at the price point of the gasser market for one?
As Newmar has the right to use CD, Ford would have to build that 600 to 700 units with it exclusively for Newmar, this would not fit well with production, and likely drive cost per unit high.
The F53 has many contributing factors to it’s Ill handling in my opinion, just adding CD to it would not have as favorable an outcome as it does on the diesel platform. Why doesn’t Ford install rear track bars, heavier sway bars, steering dampeners, and Sumo springs?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Agree with the Ford remarks. Of course they have no competition so they could care less. Would be nice to see the gasser manufactures like Newmar put pressure on Ford or take the reigns themselves, be proactive, and start offering better handling options. It's kind of an irritant that you spend a lot of money for a new MH and then have to spend a few thousand more right away to make a unit serviceable. Plus the hassle of doing the research, finding a dealer/installer. Companies like Newmar are actually failing their customers in this respect
Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

I would love to see Newmar offer a performance package option on the gassers. Why not, the parts are readily available, much easier to instal on the bare chassis than after the build. There is money to be made here.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The F53 should not ship without a rear track bar. That is an easy fix that should be specified by Ford or the coach builder.

If Ford were to do something like comfort drive, they already have this to work with:
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...rld-turns.html

It works well in my Ford Fusion.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #6

Just a thought here, you probably won’t ever see that. With the Canyon Star in the 200k range, they are knocking on the door of the Ventana LE.

I think Winnebago decided to kill their top of the line gassers for the same reason, at that price point, you are at DP line.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Totally agree, I love the Canyon Star bunkhouse model. I lean toward diesel for my next motorhome for various reasons, but if a Canyon Star could be had with Comfort Drive and a full performance handling package, it might sway me.

I have done a lot of that stuff to my current F53 already (Koni shocks, F53 CHF, rear track bar) and plan to do Sumo springs next, but yeah, it would be great to be able to buy one with all that stuff pre-installed.

Tiffin now offers Sumo Springs as a factory option on their gassers, but AFAIK no one else does.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Coachmen in their 2019 models are starting to put a rear track bar in.. Funny too I have a 2018 that I bought and immediately wanted to add rear track bar and steering stabilizer and damn if they didn't fight me on it and tell me i didn't need it. Did it anyways and now they come standard. I am thinking of doing sumo springs next.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
Coachmen in their 2019 models are starting to put a rear track bar in.. Funny too I have a 2018 that I bought and immediately wanted to add rear track bar and steering stabilizer and damn if they didn't fight me on it and tell me i didn't need it. Did it anyways and now they come standard. I am thinking of doing sumo springs next.
i put front and back sumo's on my georgetown XL on the 24K chassis, and it made a massive difference....

in the rear, make sure you use the ones that go outside the frame, vs. the jounce replacement application
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Along with some suspension changes, why not design a twin turbo charged v10 in a gas pusher? Ford already has everything except the changes in the chassis.

I would buy one in a heart beat.

Steve
Old 03-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Going on our second trip with our Bay Star 3532. Just added Sumo Springs (front and rear) and Blue Ox TruCenter stabilizer. Looking for some good improvement. Drive before was OK but tiring with wind and road conditions. Would have loved to have these as options.
claytondl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought the BO True Center had been discontinued.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #13

I have 24K chassis on Bay Star, I added Koni, rear trac bar, and Safe-T-Plus and haven't had any tiring driving sessions so far.

I am going to do the CHF today, but I have been very happy with how it drives.

I would rather spend more money on a 9 way power driver seat with heating/cooling and massage at this point I have the 6 way, but would love to adjust the backrest via power as there is never the 'right spot' for me :(
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Along with some suspension changes, why not design a twin turbo charged v10 in a gas pusher? Ford already has everything except the changes in the chassis.

I would buy one in a heart beat. Steve
With 100% of the Class A gasser market, F has no incentive to invest in a gas pusher, IMO.

The Workhorse "UFO" gas pusher was a fantastic product with "revolutionary" suspension design and fantastic handling, but its price and the crash of 2008-09, along with the loss of the GM big block doomed it to history.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53, ford