RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #1

Question Confused about my actual GVWR

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker - finally registered to ask a question (too impatient to wait until tomorrow to ask Newmar) and I also wanted to see how common this is.

I just bought a 2017 Bay Star 3516, obviously on the F53 chassis. As my first RV, I'm quite happy - and I can already tell this is going to be a very exciting part of my life.

What puzzles me though is that on the Newmar website it clearly states that the 3516 Bay Star has a 24K chassis. However, on the sticker inside the upper kitchen cabinet it states 22K. Which would supersede which? I'm planning to do a lot of coast to coast driving so my CCC really matters.

Is this discrepancy normal? Thank you very much to anyone knowledgable and kind enough to help me figure this out. If I find out a definitive answer, I will of course post that information for the archives.

RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #2

If you give VIN # to a Ford Dealer they can tell you which chassis you have. They can run a print out of everything that came with that chassis.

grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
In the Newmar bag with info about the RV's systems look for the Ford MSRP sheet which has chassis info. My 2012 had that sheet.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the replies - these are really good suggestions. I looked through my Newmar case, ever piece of paper, and unfortunately the chassis papers appear to be absent. I spent my afternoon today trying to find something in there.

Running the VIN through Ford is a great idea - I will actually see if I can find some sort of online VIN decoder for Ford commercial chassis.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:38 AM   #5

When you talk to Newmar ask them for a copy of your weight sheet as it left the factory.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RickySpanish,
A call to Newmar is correct. A call to Ford is also a good idea. The sticker on the vehicle should be correct. The brochure says 22K and the web site says 24K. Gut feel says the sticker is correct. From a liability position the sticker would be the reference document.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should have two stickers that you need to refer to. One is a yellow body builders sticker that Newmar attaches after they finish the coach, and weight it. It will show you how much load carrying you have. The other tag is a white to slightly gray tag from Ford Motor Company. This tag is what Ford says the chassis is rated for. If it says 22,000 lbs GVWR that is what it is. Newmar can not change that rating to 24,000 lbs only Ford can.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #8

Hi again everyone,

Thank you all so much for the very helpful replies. I just got off the phone with the Ford/Newmar rep and found out the final answer. I have a 22K chassis. (insert expletive of shame here). Oh well.

It looks like my gut feeling was right and I will chalk this up to a very expensive newbie mistake. I was basing all of my shopping information off what the brochure and website said, 24K. Of all of the overwhelming amount of things I was trying to keep track of while shopping - assuming that the chassis would be different than advertised obviously didn't occur to me.

Last night I looked at the 2016 Bay Star catalogue online and noticed they only offered 22K chassis regardless of length that year. Sure enough, although my RV is a "2017", the chassis is a 2016 and therefore only 22K. Looks like Newmar made the switch silently sometime during the 2017 production line and didn't update all of their material. I really don't have a lot to carry in the RV, but having an extra 2K of safety sure would have been nice.

I guess the lesson here is to always, always check GVWR regardless what websites say. I feel pretty ashamed I let this happen - but I will still enjoy the heck out of this motorhome.

One good thing that came from this is it finally got me to join this very friendly and helpful community. Thank you all again very much for your help!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #9

My printed manual lists the 3516 as having a 22,000 lb chassis. the website says 24000lb. I might be wrong but I think Newmar upgraded to the 24,000 lb chassis mid year and you might have a 3516 with a 22,000 lb chassis.

That would be unfortunate since those coaches are really heave compared to the shorter versions. The 22000 lb chassis would give you a NCC of about 2200 lbs. You'd have to subtract water and people from that to get your cargo capacity. I'm guessing you'd have about 1200 to 1300 lbs left for cargo.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #10

Welcome to the brochure is BS ( and that isn't Bay Star ) world. When looking for our new unit we got the brochure and started jotting down what we wanted. Compared it to the web site and to the order sheet and found discrepancies. And then find out what they build is different than any information they printed. Most of the time not a big deal but can be a bit exasperating.

I think one of the problems is the brochures try to show all available options but can't take the time or space to actually say which floor plans you can get a particular option on. Just wait till you read the printed owners manual. I find the one that came with our BSS a total waste of effort.

Good thing I really like the end product.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:15 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ricky Spanish,
As a older newbie, who has gone through 3 coaches now. I have discarded a ton of stuff (no pun intended) that I thought that I just had to have to live in my coach. As others on this forum will tell you, look for light items, you don't need your entire wardrobe, plan your meals and shop fresh. Talk with the forum guys as to the tools needed to keep you running. Figure your family weights in and you don't have to run with a full tank of water if you aren't going to be dry camping for extended periods.
It is surprising how much you can include in say 500 lbs.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #12

WOW...

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse