Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Confused - AC/Heat Pump/Furnace

I am confused with Newmar coach listings that I am reading. Many state that the coach has AC/Heat Pump. And they show it in that manner. This has been confusing to me since I know that a Heat Pump Heats and Cools. Because of the way they list it, "AC/Heat Pump" I assumed that they were saying that it had refrigerated a/c and a heat pump for heating, and that confused me.

As I am typing this it all is becoming clear to me... Coaches with Heat Pumps instead of refrigerated air conditioning use the Heat Pump for cooling, and heating, down to a certain level (around 40 degs). And they also have the normal propane furnace for additional heating to temps lower than 40 degs, and to heat the basement area.

Now I am thinking that what the lister really means is "Heat Pump A/C and Heating". Now that would have made more sense to me!

OK, I'm not confused anymore...

Since I have got it all figured out now I should delete this post... However, since it took so much time to write it.... I won't.

BTW... I have heard that heat pumps don't cool as well as refrigerated air, if the outside temperature is high. This is what I heard while living in Phoenix. So, I have never wanted, or had, a heat pump.

Does anyone have any experience with a heat pump failing to cool effectively on very, very hot days?
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
My 15K btu ac/heatpumps are quite capable of adequate cooling.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe its why most heat pump AC's are 15k for better cooling.
Most other AC's are 13.5.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
66 and 007...

Well, my understanding (from a rapidly dimming memory) is that both a heat pump and refrigerated A/C can only cool to some differential of the ambient temperature. But my understanding is that refrigerated A/C has a capability for more of a differential, meaning it will reduce the temperature further than a heat pump. So I don't think that the capacity (15 vs. 13.5) would make a difference.

This is all poorly stated, but an air conditioning expert with chime in and straighten this out.

It is good to know that neither of you two have had concerns with your experience with heat pump cooling. So, I won't be as concerned if and when I decide on a coach upgrade.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Romeo,
I have 2 13.3 BTU heat pumps on the coach. There have been rare occasions where the HVAC would not keep the coach comfortable. By rare I mean in the Southwest desert and the temp is over 110 degrees F. Since we've been there in this coach only once, with no plans to return in the summer, the cooling capability is not on my list of things to think about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
...There have been rare occasions where the HVAC would not keep the coach comfortable. By rare I mean in the Southwest desert and the temp is over 110 degrees F.
Ah yes, that is exactly what I have heard... "temp over 100 deg F". Maybe it isn't usually a problem since snowbirds don't stick around the really hot desert areas in the summer... they come back up North.

When I lived in Phoenix we dealt with many days over 100. I think all my A/C was refrigerated in both my apt and subsequent condos. I always had plenty of cooling power. That was when I learned to stay away from heat pumps and swamp coolers...
Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

Heat pumps are the same thing as an air conditioner, it just reverses when in heat mode. When you are running your air conditioner go out side and feel the head it is putting out. Now just picture it blowing cold outside and the heat inside. Simple?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
BTUs are BTUs whether from an AC or an AC/heatpump.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Since resetting my Duotherm and covering my bedroom thermistor, my Heat pumps (13.5 penguins X 2) work very well to cool my unit at 90-95 F and do not intend to put a 3rd unit
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote