Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 07:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Doing a sanity check with you all. I have requested from my dealer, big in fact huge name on this board, an estimate to set up my car and coach to flat tow. I received a price or an estimate which is more then I thought, but not un reasonable. However I asked for a list of manufactures and perhaps models of the components so I can check to make sure they are of good sound quality. I have talked to my service writer a couple of times about it, but even after my forth request and waiting for two weeks, I have not heard anything from him. I have used this dealer on several things now and have always been very pleased with the results and how they do business. I have stressed to him my intentions are simply to make sure I like the choice he would use and that I was not looking to take the information to get other bids. I have even asked him if I gave him a list of the stuff I would like if he would use it and or tell me why his stuff is better. I am kind of stumped on why I am getting treated this way. Am I being unreasonable in asking to know what is going onto or into my vehicles? I don’t think so.

so you want to sit and take it easy and let him tell you what to use. Then when something fails or you dont like it or use it corectley and a item fails it has to be his fault. Wonder that they let you back in the building.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 09:43 PM   #44

information

I would think the dealer would have the info because he priced the job. OR...He hi balled the quote, knowing the price he gave would cover his a.. Personally I am a Etrailer customer. Helpful, fair priced, great inventory, quick delivery. MOMCAT
Old 01-20-2022, 11:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Given the huge backlog of everything RV right now, I think it should be upon you to do the research and decide what brand of equipment to use. The service writer or manager has enough on his or her plate without doing research for customers.
Your answer is bull....... It is the service writer's job is to do any estimate and tell you what equipment he has based his price on. I don't care how backlogged he is, if he gave you a price he had to have based it on specific equipment. If he can't or wont tell you then I suggest you find a reputable dealer.
talktome396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:52 AM   #46

When I give a "seat of pants" estimate to a prospect, it's not broken down into component line-items for several reasons, one of which is the propensity for folks to "shop" those line items, find a cheaper price for a few and purchase them, then expect me to do the rest of the work and supply the remaining goods as shown on the estimate.

My business is not RV-related - the products tend to be high-ish tech and decidedly not consumer oriented - but the human behavior behind these actions tend to be universal.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #47
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
When I give a "seat of pants" estimate to a prospect, it's not broken down into component line-items for several reasons....
The OP stated he specifically asked for a components list so I don't think he was wanting a seat of the pants estimate. That type of estimate is when I'm jawing with the parts person while they're ringing up my purchase & I ask "Hey, can you estimate the cost to do X?" & they give me some price off the top of their head. And I'm OK with that because I'm not going to do X right now, but I want a ballpark figure on about how much it'll cost should I decide to do X.

The OP has a specific X he wants to do & is ready to do. He should be able to get a breakdown of the parts/labor to do X. The fact he's being ghosted is not appropriate.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:50 AM   #48

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
I went through the same issue a few months back. One large well known RV source gave me a price of $4600, another local RV place was $2500 and a third was $3500. I settled on the $3500 system (Blue OX) and within a week everything was installed and we were on the road. I had to add a trickle charger to keep the battery up in the toad which I only learned after googling info on flat towing the car, but other than that so far so good. Good luck with your search. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by talktome396 View Post
Your answer is bull....... It is the service writer's job is to do any estimate and tell you what equipment he has based his price on. I don't care how backlogged he is, if he gave you a price he had to have based it on specific equipment. If he can't or wont tell you then I suggest you find a reputable dealer.
Bull.... right back at cha. If you want to wait for a dealer to give you a quote on equipment that you don't know anything about, go ahead. I'll be proactive, do my research, then ask the dealer for a quote on the equipment I chose.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:56 AM   #50

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
100% correct.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #51

An obvious answer to your question. Why should he spend all the time needed to answer your question when there is little chance he will make a buck for his time?

Alajeu
alajeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #52

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
My approach would be to purchase the components myself and have someone install them, or better yet, install them myself. Etrailer.com is an awesome resource.
This is exactly why the service advisor doesn't want to give out part #'s on an estimate.
Too many people like you get the info, buy parts, they think are correct-trying to save a little money, and expect a shop to install them.
You take revenue out of the shops pockets that they need.
End result, they can't survive.
But, you probably don't care.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #53

The major components will be the base plate (attachment to tow vehicle frame), hitch, and auxiliary brake. Like most RVers, we use Blue Ox for the base plate and hitch (ours have been trouble free). The auxiliary brake depends on the type you prefer. On our DPs, we have used the Demco Air Force On unit that has components that are permanently installed in the coach and tow vehicle. It makes hook ups quick and easy. We usually budget around 3K for a complete install including battery charge line, and electrical connections to tow vehicle tail lights.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:13 PM   #54

Be aware of this. Many of the hitch installers also work on rentals, equipment etc that they may stop working on a baseplate/tow install to get other customers out the door. I had this happen twice to me last year. Added a rear hitch on new toad, had an 8 oclock appt for a 3 hour install, left at 4 PM! They had to keep stopping on mine to fix lights on rental trailers. Had a 7:30 appt for a baseplate install, 5 hrs they said, left at 5 pm. They had to keep fixing issues on rental equip. I recommend either leaving vehicle, if possible, or addressing completion time before commiting to purchase.
rebrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:29 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Don't know what you are towing from your post. I did a lot of study and put an M&G Engineering brake system into my RAM 1500 4x4. Great system, and an easy install which I did at the M&G factory facility in Athens TX. I used Blue OX towbar and base plate, from E-Trailer. Star tof work to out the door in about 3 hours, including the tail light wiring mod for my truck.

I suggest you call M&G, Monte Rasco, and see if he can recommend an installer in your area. They are a family business and I'm sure he will give you a lot better attention than You have received so far. His phone: 903)675-2812. I also suspect you can find a good independent shop in the Red Bay Area which can't be too far of a drive for you. Lots of Tiffin aftermarket work goes on there.

The M&G unit is well engineered, and I have had 11 years on Blue Ox equipment without problems. Current unit is only 2 seasons old, and was purchased because Blue Ox would not service the old one, over 8 years old. No problems with it, just wanted factory refurb. Lawyers!
If you read the thread, he said he has a 2017 GMC Acadia.

OP, figure out what base plate you like and what braking system you like.
Then use their websites to find an installer near you. Either one can probably install both plus a lighting system.
etrailer is a great sight for these decisions and purchase.

I had the braking cables installed in my CRV and now our Edge by a diesel performance shop as they were also a dealer for the ReadyBrute line.
$350 each time and great installation.

A motorhome dealer isn't anymore qualified than a recommended baseplate installer.

They are working on your car, not your motorhome.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:00 AM   #56

Did it myself for less than 1500
bgkoontz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, fuse