Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #1

Confused Why I can't get Dealer to give me Info

Doing a sanity check with you all. I have requested from my dealer, big in fact huge name on this board, an estimate to set up my car and coach to flat tow. I received a price or an estimate which is more then I thought, but not un reasonable. However I asked for a list of manufactures and perhaps models of the components so I can check to make sure they are of good sound quality. I have talked to my service writer a couple of times about it, but even after my forth request and waiting for two weeks, I have not heard anything from him. I have used this dealer on several things now and have always been very pleased with the results and how they do business. I have stressed to him my intentions are simply to make sure I like the choice he would use and that I was not looking to take the information to get other bids. I have even asked him if I gave him a list of the stuff I would like if he would use it and or tell me why his stuff is better. I am kind of stumped on why I am getting treated this way. Am I being unreasonable in asking to know what is going onto or into my vehicles? I donít think so.
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Doing a sanity check with you all. I have requested from my dealer, big in fact huge name on this board, an estimate to set up my car and coach to flat tow. I received a price or an estimate which is more then I thought, but not un reasonable. However I asked for a list of manufactures and perhaps models of the components so I can check to make sure they are of good sound quality. I have talked to my service writer a couple of times about it, but even after my forth request and waiting for two weeks, I have not heard anything from him. I have used this dealer on several things now and have always been very pleased with the results and how they do business. I have stressed to him my intentions are simply to make sure I like the choice he would use and that I was not looking to take the information to get other bids. I have even asked him if I gave him a list of the stuff I would like if he would use it and or tell me why his stuff is better. I am kind of stumped on why I am getting treated this way. Am I being unreasonable in asking to know what is going onto or into my vehicles? I donít think so.
Given the huge backlog of everything RV right now, I think it should be upon you to do the research and decide what brand of equipment to use. The service writer or manager has enough on his or her plate without doing research for customers.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No, you aren't being unreasonable at all. You should know in advance what they intend to do and with what products. They may be giving you just their standard estimate, and the details will be worked out with you when they see your coach and you pick what equipment you want when you get there. On our previous rig, we were quoted $2,500 to install a washer and dryer with a 6 hour install time. Didn't matter which washer and dryer, and it didn't matter which coach we had, that was just their standard estimate. It ended up costing less and taking less time, but they didn't want to quote us a lower price because they didn't want to shoot low. They were very reluctant to give us details because each coach is different, but we didn't proceed until we knew what we were getting.

Lots of choices out there. Go where you feel welcome.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #4

the e trailer website is a great resource for flat towing components.
they have videos of baseplate install on just about every flat tow vehicle out there. check out the install video for the vehicle you want to tow and their component recommendations. after watching you just may be inspired to tackle the flat towing install your self. i installed all my parts myself and it wasn't difficult. also saved a bunch of money.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:14 PM   #5

You donít have to use a RV dealer on your tow vehicle . A good trailer hitch business. Can do that. I believe I would use a trailer hitch over a RV dealer. Is your RV itself ready to hook up.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:17 PM   #6

Sometimes its worth the extra effort to do the research up front yourself. I just went to my local dealer here in Florida to inquire about Summit Products/RV Stainless. I wasnít going in to buy, just wanted to look at the display they have and ask about pricing. They gave me an estimate of between 4000-5000 for the parts and install. And, said they could maybe get to it in April.

I went home did some research, called Summit. They emailed me the form with all of the dimensions and pricing. Asked me to just go and double check the measurements, which were all accurate. I called them the next day and ordered the parts for the baggage doors, steps and kick plate. Total cost $ 2,586.00.

The best part? They put the parts in the van going to the Tampa Supershow and are going to bring them to me on Tuesday. I Basically saved the $225 for shipping, so the steps were free.

Times 2 on e-trailer. Do your research and go there with the part number you want and ask for a firm quote. You can even tell them that you already have a tow bar, the safety cables and auxiliary brake. Just ask them to install the baseplate and wire harness. Then buy the tow bar and the rest on e-trailer.
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:20 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Counting on a dealer to give you accurate, true, and unbiased information is a recipe for disaster. They’ll sell you what they have, not necessarily what you need.

Do your own research, then buy from a reputable dealer and have installed by folks who know what they’re doing.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My approach would be to purchase the components myself and have someone install them, or better yet, install them myself. Etrailer.com is an awesome resource.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would want to know what they're installing. I just did a Ready Brake install for a friend to save money on the braking system, but now that it's done, including custom brackets, I would never recommend it again. I know two shops locally that won't install the Ready Brake system.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:58 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
As previously posted, they will sell you what they stock. If you want details & you aren' getting it, make a trip to their showroom & go see what they've got on their shelves for accessories.

When we got our Bounder, we saw our dealer stocked Roadmaster in their accessories section. So that's what we got. We didn't know to shop around.

If you want something different than they sell, do your research & find out about all the different systems out there. Then go to your dealer & tell them what you want. Or better yet, as also posted, go to a trailer hitch place. That's what we did the 2nd time. Saved a boat load of money going to a small independent vs dealer.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:26 PM   #11

Know exactly the equipment they are selling you so you can make sure you want it and this will help you determine what you are actually paying for the install. I have seen RV dealers charging $3000-4000 just for the install-absolutely ridiculous-so beware. Even the most complex set ups should not take more than a day for a competent installer who does this all the time.

I have done several installs myself and though not that complex, it is a lot of work. I have the ready brake system and tow bar and blue ox base plate for my F150 and use the front aftermarket bumper on my Jeep. I did not have any problems installing on either vehicle-less than a day on the F150 and only a few hours running the cables for the Jeep. I went with this system because it's cheap and easy to set up several vehicles to flat tow. What I don't like about this system is that there are various items in the surge brake system and tow bar that cause a lot of looseness in the apparatus and you can sense the jiggle from the toad because of that. I have shimmed and tightened things to help but it still sucks. I really don't know if the braking system is working or not behind my 4081 because the extra toad weight really makes no difference in that coach-you are still well under gvw with even the heaviest toads. It is legal they say, and I was more concerned with having an emergency brake away system and their system should work fine for that. Next time I will most likely go with the Air Force braking system and a different tow bar if I can keep a toad long enough.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Doing a sanity check with you all. I have requested from my dealer, big in fact huge name on this board, an estimate to set up my car and coach to flat tow. I received a price or an estimate which is more then I thought, but not un reasonable. However I asked for a list of manufactures and perhaps models of the components so I can check to make sure they are of good sound quality. I have talked to my service writer a couple of times about it, but even after my forth request and waiting for two weeks, I have not heard anything from him. I have used this dealer on several things now and have always been very pleased with the results and how they do business. I have stressed to him my intentions are simply to make sure I like the choice he would use and that I was not looking to take the information to get other bids. I have even asked him if I gave him a list of the stuff I would like if he would use it and or tell me why his stuff is better. I am kind of stumped on why I am getting treated this way. Am I being unreasonable in asking to know what is going onto or into my vehicles? I don’t think so.
I used a well-known Truck and Trailer dealer/installer for my system, Kauffs.
BlueOx BX7420 Tow Bar, Class IV 10,000 lb 2" Receiver and the BlueOx Patriot 3 Braking System on my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4x4. Prices including installing with the BlueOx Base Plate and wiring and everything needed to tow with it, cables, etc. ran $2,700. The Patriot 3 Braking System cost me $1,580. Very easy to use and no loose anything! What I paid to them was a bit more than others have quoted, they have a terrific reputation. It has great settings for braking pressure, I set the RF Controller Max to 5 and Pressure to 2.

There are many different brands, models and of course "OPINIONS" on which is best, so do your research and use a place that stocks the Make and Model you prefer.
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #13

Having a RV service place set up my toad was one of the biggest new guy to RVing mistakes I made. First, they didn't do a particularly good job. Second, they get I believe it's $140 per hour for their shop rate. The local trailer guy would have done it for less than half that, and likely wojld have done a better job. RV service shops (either dealer or indie) have some of the highest labor rates around. Look for a reputable trailer place around you and you'll likely get a better quality job for less cost. Not to mention that it'll likely be a privately owned small business who will value your business rather than treating you like a nuisance.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I would want to know what they're installing. I just did a Ready Brake install for a friend to save money on the braking system, but now that it's done, including custom brackets, I would never recommend it again. I know two shops locally that won't install the Ready Brake system.
What is wrong with it?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, fuse