Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Confused with Dometic Thermostat

Took delivery of our '15 DSDP 4369 on 1/23/16 and really confused with thermostat. It is an all electric coach. When I turn on my AC Heat switch to "on" in cabinet above entry steps, what setting/mode should the thermostat be set on. When I set therm. mode to furnace, am I running off of the Oasis system as I assume? thanks in advance for any replies/advice. Steve
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #2

Just took delivery of my 2015 4018 in June and haven't used it much in cold weather so this may be "the blind leading the blind" but I'll tell what I understand.
As you said, the Furn setting and a Temp setting higher than the inside temp will run heat from the Oasis system. HP mode setting will be using the heat pumps on the roof air conditioners. Cool mode uses the roof air conditioners for cooling the coach, and Off turns everything off.
If we're not correct here hopefully some of those with much more experience will chime in.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Just took delivery of my 2015 4018 in June and haven't used it much in cold weather so this may be "the blind leading the blind" but I'll tell what I understand.
As you said, the Furn setting and a Temp setting higher than the inside temp will run heat from the Oasis system. HP mode setting will be using the heat pumps on the roof air conditioners. Cool mode uses the roof air conditioners for cooling the coach, and Off turns everything off.
If we're not correct here hopefully some of those with much more experience will chime in.
I'm with you so far. Now all I need to know is what do I set my thermostat on when i switch to AC heat in the cabinet/control panel next to burner on/off switch and all the LED monitors.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
I'm with you so far. Now all I need to know is what do I set my thermostat on when i switch to AC heat in the cabinet/control panel next to burner on/off switch and all the LED monitors.
The Oasis FURNACE provides heat for your coach when the thermostat is set for FURNACE and it also provides heat for your hot water.

The Oasis control in the Control Panel determines what is heating your FURNACE. Top switch is Burner, this enables the oil fired burner which will fire up as needed to provide heat or hot water. The lower switch is for ELECTRIC heat elements (there are two). You can set this switch to use one electric element or two electric elements or turn them off completely. In order to get heat from the furnace or hot water, at least one of these switches must be on.

To put it simply... We set our switch to BOTH electric elements ON and the Burner Off. This provides us with enough hot water as we need it and will even heat the coach if it is not too cold out. We turn the BURNER switch on if we need serious heat in the coach or if you like really long hot showers.

Once the Oasis switch is set the way you want it you can use the furnace setting on your thermostat to control room temperature.

This is a long explanation, I hope it clarifies your question. Let us know if you need more detail.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Norm Mac gave an excellent description.

The nice thing is..the choice his yours. If you are somewhere with no shore power...and you don't want to run the genset...you have no other choice than the diesel fired burner. If you are connected to a nice 50 amp shore power source...you can take advantage of that by using Both AC elements. If you are connected to 30 amp shore power you will likely be using only one AC element. If you have the Energy Management System installed...you can run it on both AC elements...but they will shed whenever other demands are sensed so as to respect the 30 amp limitation.

You can always opt to run everything at once (provided the genset or shore power are available)...as it will provide you with the fastest recovery under high demand... Ie Load in the washing machine, someone in the shower, and it's cold outside so your furnace is cycling frequently. It's an awesome system with lots of flexibility in how you decide to use it.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #6

Thanks all for the detailed explanations.. I just explained it to DW so she will know what to do WHEN I forget Stevehttp://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/flowers.gif

Tags
dometic, fuse, thermostat