Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

Connecting Toad Brake to Coach Air Brakes

Where do you hook into the coach air brake system to supply air to toad brake on a 2010 Dutch Star on Spartan chassis? Is there a connection point or fitting provided or does the air line have to be spliced.

Thanks.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I believe you will find Spartan does not recommend this..instead they sell ($265 cost) a separate tank/reservoir and fittings for the attachment. As I understand it this will isolate your toad system air system from the main brakes air system. That way if you loose air in the toad it will not affect your main air system..Like the separate air tanks on trailers..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #3

clubmed98 is correct that Spartan has certain guidelines for this and sells the kit he refers to. I bought one several years ago. There is one for sure and maybe more brake systems that are now approved by Spartan for use w/o their kit. I believe it's Air Force 1 but I'm not sure. If you haven't bought your aux brake system yet I'd suggest checking this out. If you already have a system you can either buy the kit to remain legal from a liability stand point or take your chances.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Void any warranty? Not recommended
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #5

It has to be spliced.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #6

Thanks, folks. Appreciate the help.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every motor home maker, far as I know gives dire warnings about possible brake failure if you tamper in any way with the air brake system.

This is known in the cleaner circles as "Covering their Anatomy"

Just so you know.. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell you where they have tapped their system. Many do it.

The problem however is this.. If, for some reason, (And I have heard of this happening) a valve fails or a fitting fails or a quick disconnect fales.. You can either find yourself all locked up with no place to go or without brakes.

And this is the reason the coach maker says DON'T DO IT.

They do not want to get sued for wrongful death because your after-marekt towed brake system malfunctioned and cost you your brakes.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
a k

Newmar Owners Club
If the toad brakes or airline fails it will lock up the motor home brakes anyway. The coach has to have air pressure to release the brakes.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I've got a M&G system on my Freightliner chassis, tapped into the system at the block on the rear axle. I ran the MH with the line open and the compressor kept up with the loss on repeated stops. Remember it only leaks when you are on the brakes. I'm not advocating that anyone try it, but I feel safe
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
If the toad brakes or airline fails it will lock up the motor home brakes anyway. The coach has to have air pressure to release the brakes.
Almost right. More correctly, the air pressure releases the park brake. The one with the yellow handle. The service brakes, actuated with the foot pedal, still require air pressure to apply the brakes. The park brake is intended to keep a stationary vehicle stationary, not stop one doing 70 mph. I would use the system designed for it if I were you.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #11

Radioman I was working with Lee's RV today and they advised me that if we want to use the M&G system we are currently using that we have to a Spartan tow kit installed or else it will void the Spartan warranty. Not sure if you are still in a warranty period or not but for us it's not worth voiding a new one.

Kelly Jenks is the service manager contact if that is any help for you.

Good Luck.
Nina
utarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #12

I went with the Air Force One. What a great system. It has it's own tank that it runs off of all though it fills from the coach air system. It should have no impact on your warranty and should be safe.

Thanks, Daryl