Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 12
Considering 2021+ Baystar 3014 Purchase

We are looking at the Baystar 3014, 2021 or newer, with V8 gas engine. Anyone have any real life MPG data, flat towing and not towing? Any other information about the coach you can provide, good or bad, would be appreciated.
Deano17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 31,677
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-verdict-is-in-new-ford-7-3-v-8-gas-mpg-not-so-great-475856.html


The Verdict is in, New Ford 7.3 V-8 Gas mpg not so Great
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Country Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Brenham, Texas
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano17 View Post
We are looking at the Baystar 3014, 2021 or newer, with V8 gas engine. Anyone have any real life MPG data, flat towing and not towing? Any other information about the coach you can provide, good or bad, would be appreciated.
You probably will be disappointed in your mpg, but considering you want a late model gas, the initial purchase savings of gas over diesel will go a long way towards keeping your tank full.

I would probably be more concerned in the ride and handling qualities.
__________________
Eddie and Jomaye, Retired
2018 Newmar Ventana 4369
2021 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I did see this but wondered if it made much of a difference with a smaller class A.
Deano17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
You probably will be disappointed in your mpg, but considering you want a late model gas, the initial purchase savings of gas over diesel will go a long way towards keeping your tank full.

I would probably be more concerned in the ride and handling qualities.
Thanks. I have never owned a class A. Had two fivers and a class c years ago. Is this ride and handling worse than other class A’s. Or do class A’s just generally act this way? As to the mpg. The truck and fiver would get about 8. Are talking worse than that?
Deano17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:57 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 68
We are owners of a 2022 Baystar 3014, have put on about 5000 miles so far.. we are overall satisfied with our purchase… a few minor bugs not worth talking about that our dealer took care of immediately. As far as mpg we are averaging over 8 mpg towing a Ford Focus… no issues towing our toad which is roughly 3.1 k lbs…as afar as ride quality, this was our first class A and it was a eye opener as far as ride comfort and handling… honestly if your looking for the same ride as a SUV you will be disappointed seriously. On my ride to Florida from NY it was at times harrowing in mildly windy conditions. I was never able to drive with one hand. Forget about narrow roads and suspension bridges I was exhausted at the end of the day. So I had the 4 corner LS suspension system installed and it opened a new world as far as driving my Baystar just a night and day experience from the stock suspension system.
Ok as far the build quality we are very happy with the fit and finish..my only complaint is the pantry the shelves do not pull out, it is so annoying….really other than that we have no complaints we realize the Baystar is not a 500k Dutchstar..but we did not pay 500k either…

Good luck and make sure you test drive what ever you decide..
Ginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginton View Post
We are owners of a 2022 Baystar 3014, have put on about 5000 miles so far.. we are overall satisfied with our purchase… a few minor bugs not worth talking about that our dealer took care of immediately. As far as mpg we are averaging over 8 mpg towing a Ford Focus… no issues towing our toad which is roughly 3.1 k lbs…as afar as ride quality, this was our first class A and it was a eye opener as far as ride comfort and handling… honestly if your looking for the same ride as a SUV you will be disappointed seriously. On my ride to Florida from NY it was at times harrowing in mildly windy conditions. I was never able to drive with one hand. Forget about narrow roads and suspension bridges I was exhausted at the end of the day. So I had the 4 corner LS suspension system installed and it opened a new world as far as driving my Baystar just a night and day experience from the stock suspension system.
Ok as far the build quality we are very happy with the fit and finish..my only complaint is the pantry the shelves do not pull out, it is so annoying….really other than that we have no complaints we realize the Baystar is not a 500k Dutchstar..but we did not pay 500k either…

Good luck and make sure you test drive what ever you decide..
Thanks for the info…really appreciate it. Question. You mentioned the pantry and Yah, I knew it didn’t pull out. I know when you get the larger Norcold Double doors, the pantry goes away. I thought I saw a picture of the residential fridge and the pantry, but someone else said you don’t get pantry with that either. Which fridge do you have and how has it responded in high temps?

Also, would you mind sharing the cost of the suspension change? I can tell from your description that I would not be happy without it. I was thinking of looking for an after market solution to the pantry….remove the shelves and install something that pulls out….

I have seen other people complain about turning the drivers seat around. Have they fixed that with 2022?
Deano17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
macnut's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,865
Considering 2021+ Baystar 3014 Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano17 View Post
….You mentioned the pantry and Yah, I knew it didn’t pull out.

Also, would you mind sharing the cost of the suspension change?
Just got our 2023 3014 on 9/15 and it’s in the shop having LS installed. I’ve had an F53 class A’s for the last 10 years and would not buy another without it. 90% of the time the roads are good, but it’s for the 10% of the time that is jarring or too bumpy to enjoy the drive. The installed cost for 4 corners was $25K in CA.

As for the pantry, I’m looking for some pull out bins I can install. If I find a good solution I’ll let you know.

I have to say, I was worried about the interior and exterior storage space at first, coming from a 36 footer, but so far, we have more than enough room in the 3014 for all our things. Note we are part-timers.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:36 AM   #9
Member
 
Wacdmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano17 View Post
We are looking at the Baystar 3014, 2021 or newer, with V8 gas engine. Anyone have any real life MPG data, flat towing and not towing? Any other information about the coach you can provide, good or bad, would be appreciated.
2022 Bay Star Sport 3226 towing 2015 Equinox. Just completed a 750 mile trip on Saturday and averaged 8.3 MPG at 62 MPH. We have 8,200 miles on the odometer. We love the coach.
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:46 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 68
We got our LS installed in New Jersey just under 24k included tax and alignment…we have the residential whirlpool fridge, very happy with that. If anyone comes up with a solution for adding sliding shelves in the pantry please pass that on…. This is definitely my wife’s biggest complaint….don’t understand why Newmar would not see that the pantry with the pullout shelves is useless…

Tony
Ginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:19 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
OB1KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 9
We have a '22 3226 with 4300+ miles on it. Getting about 8 mpg pulling a Smart Fortwo in mountains and flat land. I run over 65 mph most of the time, but try to keep below 70. We really wanted the 3014 (wanted to stay close to 30 ft), but with the double door Norcold, you lose some pantry space which knocked the unit out of consideration. We are not FT, but will be in the coach for months at a time, so pantry and refrigerator space was important. Really have no issues with the 7.3 as it has good power and decent mileage for a '33 ft coach. Dependability is of course yet to be determined but pretty pleased so far.
__________________
2022 Newmar Bay Star 3226
OB1KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
RVStitchy's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginton View Post
..my only complaint is the pantry the shelves do not pull out, it is so annoying….
Maybe give WoodDesignRV.com a try. They are in Nappanee and very connected with Newmar. I am in the process of ordering special slide out drawers for wine and liquor storage. They will ship to me and I will install myself. So far the are very professional with communications, quoting and sending drawings for approval (after collecting a deposit). They might be able to upgrade your pantry - for a cost.
__________________
2022 Dutch Star 4369 FL Towing 2022 GMC Sierra 1500
Chris & Lee, Finnegan & Kirby (Double Doodled)
2020 Kountry Star 3709 towing Equinox.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginton View Post
We got our LS installed in New Jersey just under 24k included tax and alignment…we have the residential whirlpool fridge, very happy with that. If anyone comes up with a solution for adding sliding shelves in the pantry please pass that on…. This is definitely my wife’s biggest complaint….don’t understand why Newmar would not see that the pantry with the pullout shelves is useless…

Tony
So I think you cleared up one question for me. You do still get the pantry with residential fridge? I know you lose it with the Norcold 4 door.
Deano17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:22 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Just got our 2023 3014 on 9/15 and it’s in the shop having LS installed. I’ve had an F53 class A’s for the last 10 years and would not buy another without it. 90% of the time the roads are good, but it’s for the 10% of the time that is jarring or too bumpy to enjoy the drive. The installed cost for 4 corners was $25K in CA.

As for the pantry, I’m looking for some pull out bins I can install. If I find a good solution I’ll let you know.

I have to say, I was worried about the interior and exterior storage space at first, coming from a 36 footer, but so far, we have more than enough room in the 3014 for all our things. Note we are part-timers.
Question: have no knowledge about the LS suspension. Where do you get these installed? RV dealer? We are in NorCal, saw you are in CA too.
Deano17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
purchase



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2021 BayStar 3014 - Drivers Seat Swivel SoCal_Mike Newmar Owner's Forum 24 04-13-2022 12:49 PM
Our Baystar :: 2019 Newmar Baystar 3014 LynnJ42 iRV2 Owners Registry 0 10-30-2021 12:11 AM
Tire pressure for 2021 Baystar 3014 Dutch Star Don Newmar Owner's Forum 9 06-28-2021 02:41 PM
Looking to purchase a 2020 Baystar 3014 pjsjrooney Newmar Owner's Forum 24 03-04-2020 02:13 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.