Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Bruce...
DonnaB also failed to put up her website with photos of what they did to theirs...
(She shared this info on another post regarding computer desk setups )

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Don and Donna were there the last time I was.

Or was it the time before that?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bruce, You are doing your homework and that effort alone is the insurance you seek. There are RV 'reviews' in the NADA website. Not listed like you see in Consumer Reports but enough to get a feel for who makes a quality coach.

The part about your post that 'peaked' my ears was your lack of experience. I'd say that you should at least rent a diesel pusher for a week before you settle on anything. Small items like the dump valves and water pump and 'house' battery charging systems are all things you will not give a rat's behind about . . . until you use them. At approx $1500 with 500 free miles, you can learn more in that week than you'll ever glean from these forums. Oh, and make sure you report back so we can all benefit.

The tow-caddy for FWD vehicles is nice - until you have to back it up. I've been some places (SOCAL) that are very limited on space and a toad was marginally accomodated. A toad and a caddy would have put us in a back ally somewhere. Also, don't go over 40'. That severly restricts where you can full-time . . . or part-time for that matter. Some states want you to carry a special license for rigs over 40'.

If I were you knowing what I know now, I'd get a nice two-year old rig from a family that has obvious anal-retentive qualities. You'll know that by the records they keep and how they show you the coach. The $100,000 depreciation savings on a coach like you are talking about will make you smile all the way to your next spot. It might also make you want to keep your two year old vessel instead of upgrading in a year or so. I can't stress enough the value of having a competent owner get all the creaks and minor headaches out of the way before you enjoy it. Especially for a new RV owner.

I'm not aware of a RV buying consultant that doesn't work for a specific brand. But if they did exist, you would be well advised to hire one if you buy new. There are enough knowledgeable retired folks in these forums that one may agree to 'walk' you through the process and do your bidding for you. Make recommendations, use their rollo-dex on your behalf, and conduct the final negotiations for you. Additonally, I've benefited greatly by buying a product from the closest manufacturer to my brick and sticks home. Natl RV in Perris, CA. Only 15 min away. It may not mean much to a full-timer, but it sure provides some peace-o-mind to this part-timer; just in case. On that subject, take a factory tour of whatever product you begin to lean toward. Even if it's just to 'eyeball' the chassis as the tanks go in, water pump and slide motors are mounted. Will pay huge dividends down the road when that inevitable gremlin pops up. Keep in mind, every RV you see on the road has been to a service center post-purchase. You can't say that about your Lexus or any other family automobile on the same roads.

Lastly, being on the 'left' coast, I've always salivated over the County Coaches. They just seem to have the best 'feel' if you know what I mean. The coach you get will ultimately find you; not the other way around. Be patient and go rent that diesel pusher.

PS. (OK, I lied) Flooring, mattresses, upholstry, and even Cal King remodeling is all available after-market. There are some good folks out there that will go above and beyond to make sure you get what you want. To find them though, you have to have luck . . . or pick the brains of these friendly folks here at IRV2.com

Full-timing by necessity. . . not choice.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #18

Welcome brucedelta,
I read with interest your questions and I too have my 2 cents worth. We started fulltiming in Jan. 07 with an '05 KSDP that we bought used with 5K miles. I had no idea what I was doing/buying, but since have fallen in love with my rig. I have learned a tremendous amount on line in this forum and others but also learned much at rally seminars, so go to them. First, I too am 6'3 as well (big boy)I had a king (in stick house) and worried about the queen bed but it has been fine and I (and wife) sleep well. The shower/tub combo I have is OK too...I just bend over to get the hair!! I pulled 24 foot trailer with motorcycles & car and never had any trouble in traffic or anything else except you will have to unhook trailer in some CG. The toys were always clean when I arrived (My trailer is for sale and pictures in classified section). Now I tow 4 down and a motorcyle lift and both are always dirty when I arrive so... pros & cons! The desk table arrangement is great as I hate booths and tables with chairs. You can get this from Newmar or have the Amish wood craftsmen make whatever you want. Also consider only one couch and have chair ottoman on the other side. I have been very impressed with the warranty service I got at Nappannee. They fixed everything without hassle at anytime. I have never had such good service anywhere for any vehicle. I would get another Newmar, and I have been very happy with our Kountry Star. You can find some very resonable ones on the internet dealer sites. They are hard to beat for the money on an entry level rig. Keep in mind an exterior or interior color scheme can be changed if you get a really good buy on one that's older or not your favorite color. I saw a redone 2000 that was ugly green original, and beautiful bronzed / brown after some paint and interior window treatment changes in Nappannee. Anyway...keep looking and be ready to pounce when you see it. There are some good buys but the good ones go fast. Incidently, a friend had a new Monaco and engine blew with 650 miles and Monaco wouldn't replace it they wanted to rebuild it...unbelievable! Good Luck, you'll love fulltiming!

Off Call at Last
Off Call at Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #19

Hi Bruce,I wish we had done our homework as you are.We where first timers also and fell in love with the essex at first sight!Now we are the owners working on the "new coach" gremlins. Having said that I still would not change from Newmar.The most important point no matter what you buy is after purchase service and competant techs at the dealership! Colleen.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

Coach length is directly related to the type of RV'ing you'll be doing...
If you're going to primarily boondock and State Park camp, a forty footer would be the best bet.

I've only been in one State Park and the 45 footer fit,but I wouldn't try it everywhere...I'd done my homework and knew this location so I knew it was ok....

If you're not a State Park RV'er and enjoy having more space, then go for the 43 or 45 foot coach.

I full time in a 45 foot/4 slide coach,but I always check the "Big Rig" book and watch for reviews of the facilities in the area I am visiting...

I've had two Newmars and even with the issues, I'll stay Newmar for a long time...The people treat you with respect, always listen to your concerns and do their best to please you...

EVERY manufacturer has these issues whether that's right or wrong....it's a fact.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #21

Hey Bruce!!! A great and 'VERY' knowledgable group of people here.
I have only been around a couple of months!!! We just bought an '05 KS That we are really enjoying!!! We will not be Full-Timing and it "REALLY Fit the Must have list"

They are all a little different What you find on one won't be available on another!!!
You and the Better Half should make a 'Must Have List' and a 'Deal Breaker list'

Have Fun Rick
Old 10-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #22

I am a new Newmar owner (6 weeks) and have had my share of issues. BUT, I love the coach, have been very happy with Newmar and do not regret the purchase. I took several tours this year and I believe Newmar is the best company if you base that on it's people.

Just make sure that you are getting the floorplan you need. Additions are a B#$%h in a couch

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #23

Thank you all for your warm welcome and suggestions. I will let you know how this journey progresses. My big question is about Comfort Drive, should coaches without it be steeply discounted?

Taxed to death - I looked at the 06 Essex on the web site and there were no pictures that showed the curb slide out area, but that sound like what I want. I do like the idea of used. I guess I need to get serious to start talking price with someone, but it is amazing that people ask close to what I could buy new for.

Donna - I will try to contact D Ward, as I have already signed up for the yahoo group. I like your cabinetry, especially the knife locker, now I know how to make storage for my Shun's. I have often wondered why they put fireplaces in coached but I have yet to see real wine storage.

Kernal - I am actually in process of negotiating rental of a unit to take to visit my sister. I have experience with boats, so while not the same there are many similarities in things to break and go wrong. Also a lot of similarity in learning to respect the handling of a large vessel.
If anyone located in the NJ area knows of a rental unit available I would love to hear about it, as I have yet to find a Diesel pusher in state. I also would like to visit the factory, so if anyone in the mid-Atlantic area wants their unit brought to the factory for service drop me a line and we can work something out. While I have minimal experience with these, boating has taught me to have alot of respect.

Bob - I like your comment about newmar having respect for owners, that is important and can overcome many other failings. I think I need to go big, so I will just have to read the big rig book.

Nathan - If you do not regret your Newmar experience after your engine issue, they and/or their suppliers must be doing something right.

I guess I would have to say the reason Newmar ranks high on my list is that their owners seem to be a very contented lot. I do not anticipate being ready to go until the spring. Are there traditionally price increases with the new calender year, or is the model year price do it. In other words if I am going to order should I do it before the end of the year. I am reluctant to do that since I want to take my time and look for used in the winter which I presume to be the slow season for RV's.

Nice meeting all of you. I have been lurking long enough that I feel like I know many of you.
-- Bruce
brucedelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:40 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Nathan - If you do not regret your Newmar experience after your engine issue, they and/or their suppliers must be doing something right.

-- Bruce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is simple. Life happens and if you are going to heavily use anything, it will have problems. The key to me is how issues are handled and they fixed the issue quickly and well. That is all you can ask for. Here is a rough saying that I try to run my own busy by: "It is easy to own a business when things are good. But, when things are bad is when you prove your worth to your clients". Newmar has done that for me. Now, if it happens again....I might have a different attitude.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:19 AM   #25
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My big question is about Comfort Drive, should coaches without it be steeply discounted? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO, no.

In the RV industry, it's limited to the 2007 MADP, Essex, and LADB, and all 2008 Newmar diesels, so relatively few MHs have it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:05 AM   #26

Hi Bruce! I am glad you decided to post your questions. It was great talking on the phone. Barry's unit will be in sometime the beginning of Dec. If he can help you with it, I am sure he will. Paul