Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Considering getting a Newmar and need help

I have a 2017 Tiffin 33A, recently retired and we want a bigger RV. Been looking hard at Tiffin & Entegra and planned to buy one. But in the process I have heard good things about Newmar. Plan to go look at a 2019 Ventana 4037, 2020 Ventana 3717 and 2019 Mountain Aire 4550 next week.

As Newmar Owners, is there any advice you can give me? What is a typical % discount target (Tiffin is 25-28, Entegra 30+). How would you compare the quality of these vs Tiffin/Entegra. How is Newmar customer support? Is there a go to dealer that I should use? etc.

Appreciate any help.
BeachedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachedTiger View Post
I have a 2017 Tiffin 33A, recently retired and we want a bigger RV. Been looking hard at Tiffin & Entegra and planned to buy one. But in the process I have heard good things about Newmar. Plan to go look at a 2019 Ventana 4037, 2020 Ventana 3717 and 2019 Mountain Aire 4550 next week.

As Newmar Owners, is there any advice you can give me? What is a typical % discount target (Tiffin is 25-28, Entegra 30+). How would you compare the quality of these vs Tiffin/Entegra. How is Newmar customer support? Is there a go to dealer that I should use? etc.

Appreciate any help.
I think most dealers,regardless of the brand they carry,are in the same % of discounts
Other than maybe the 2 biggest....North Trail and Lazy Days....who seem to give the less discount of any
Independence RV in Orlando ..have to work for the price but had excellent service......C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
I think most dealers,regardless of the brand they carry,are in the same % of discounts
Other than maybe the 2 biggest....North Trail and Lazy Days....who seem to give the less discount of any
Independence RV in Orlando ..have to work for the price but had excellent service......C
I have bought 4 Newmars from Independence since 2003. Maybe not the lowest price- you never know - but better than any other dealer I seriously tried to deal with. If you have time - and can still get an order in - I would do that. I ordered mine last May and got in September. The reason I say that - is you will find most motorhomes on the lot are usually not exactly what you want and nearly every time I have found "stock" units to have $20-$30K in options you really don't want or need- but they will make you think you do! I bought a new 2020 with the Girard awnings and all the new included upgrades for less than a 2018 leftover in the same floor plan - thats food for thought for you! Dealers, today that would probably be 2019 models - in my opinion the new technology on the chassis is worth the difference - I love the new coach. Freightliner has done a great job with the new chassis. Newmar has made the new Ventana very, very closed to the Dutch Star in quality now and includes so many things that used to be options in the base price as well.

If you actually are going to drive the motorhome - I wouldn't consider a Tiffen. Comfort Drive is the real thing - I owned a Dutch Star without it and when I got the Ventana LE and the now the Ventana - no comparison to driving them. People who tell you it doesn't make a difference - then they don't really drive their coach! If you drive it - you will notice it immediately - but you will feel it in about 4 hours! Thats the real difference. I understand that Entegra now offers something similar. I don't know how it works - but I can assuredly tell you that Comfort Drive is worth every penny it cost in my opinion. I have written some long threads here touting my experiences with it.

All are good coaches though - I have the 4369 model. The best bang for your buck of any motorhome on the market - and the best deal of the bunch, IMO, is the Ventana line of it.

Also, bought all 4 from David Scott- he is has a lot of knowledge and is great to work with! Ray Douglas is the GM and has been great as well. I have had collision claim work done, warranty work done, extra equipment installed and maintenance work done with Independence RV's service department over the years - great people to work with as well. From the front end to the back end - a really good dealership IMO!

Good luck with finding a coach of your dreams!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #4

Big difference in coaches between a Ventana and Mountain Aire. If this is the one and last coach then the Mountain Aire.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Big difference in coaches between a Ventana and Mountain Aire. If this is the one and last coach then the Mountain Aire.
Newmar Man
Agreed.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #6

NIRVC is my go to dealer for both Entegra and Newmar. Great price and even better service. Both are great coaches also.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachedTiger View Post

Appreciate any help.
The most important thing is where you buy your coach. I would highly recommend National Indoor RV Centers. I do know they have a 2020 Mountain Aire in stock. I don't remember the model. I know because I just bought a 2008 Mountain Aire and went over and looked at it. I can tell you it is an amazing coach. If you want more info call 903-277-8710 and ask for Lindsay Bass. Like I said this was the best low/no preshure deal I have ever done. The service was above top notch. On my used coach they fixed things I didn't know were bad at no charge. How about when the teck ran the awning over the door out it skipped a couple of times so they replaced the motor. When he opened one of the lower storage bays that opens up he didn't think the struts were holding well enough so he replaced them. The list goes on like full annual service.
https://www.nirvc.com/Sales
They have a interesting deal where you can spend 2 nights in their campsite to check out your rig and you have a team that is available to explain/show you how things work and fix anything you don't like.
As someone else said I wouldn't buy anouther coach without Comfort Drive.
If you have any questions just ask.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
I have bought 4 Newmars from Independence since 2003. Maybe not the lowest price- you never know - but better than any other dealer I seriously tried to deal with. If you have time - and can still get an order in - I would do that. I ordered mine last May and got in September. The reason I say that - is you will find most motorhomes on the lot are usually not exactly what you want and nearly every time I have found "stock" units to have $20-$30K in options you really don't want or need- but they will make you think you do! I bought a new 2020 with the Girard awnings and all the new included upgrades for less than a 2018 leftover in the same floor plan - thats food for thought for you! Dealers, today that would probably be 2019 models - in my opinion the new technology on the chassis is worth the difference - I love the new coach. Freightliner has done a great job with the new chassis. Newmar has made the new Ventana very, very closed to the Dutch Star in quality now and includes so many things that used to be options in the base price as well.

If you actually are going to drive the motorhome - I wouldn't consider a Tiffen. Comfort Drive is the real thing - I owned a Dutch Star without it and when I got the Ventana LE and the now the Ventana - no comparison to driving them. People who tell you it doesn't make a difference - then they don't really drive their coach! If you drive it - you will notice it immediately - but you will feel it in about 4 hours! Thats the real difference. I understand that Entegra now offers something similar. I don't know how it works - but I can assuredly tell you that Comfort Drive is worth every penny it cost in my opinion. I have written some long threads here touting my experiences with it.

All are good coaches though - I have the 4369 model. The best bang for your buck of any motorhome on the market - and the best deal of the bunch, IMO, is the Ventana line of it.

Also, bought all 4 from David Scott- he is has a lot of knowledge and is great to work with! Ray Douglas is the GM and has been great as well. I have had collision claim work done, warranty work done, extra equipment installed and maintenance work done with Independence RV's service department over the years - great people to work with as well. From the front end to the back end - a really good dealership IMO!

Good luck with finding a coach of your dreams!

Independence gave me, by far the best deal. NIRV did not have what I was looking for in stock and both were way too far away.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Independence gave me, by far the best deal. NIRV did not have what I was looking for in stock and both were way too far away.
Have you contacted NIRV? They may have something coming in. That "too far away" statement made me laugh. When I was staying in the NIRV campground going through my coach, I had a neighbor who flew in from Hawaii to pick up a coach and anouther from northern Cal. If I remember correctly the guy from Cal had driven his old coach in so he could trade it.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi BeachedTiger - I've been on both sides of the street as we owned 4 Tiffins prior to moving to Newmar. The mark up from dealer cost to MSRP is the same for Newmar and Tiffin. Entegra uses a different formula that results in higher MSPR numbers and allows for a higher percentage discount.

Tiffin customer service has been excellent (some slippage in recent years) and Newmar is on a par. Build quality is now better with Newmar, imho.

Learn the models and the distinctions between model with Newmar. There are important differences and you need to do your homework. Whether those differences are important to you depends on your intended use. Also note that within model lines you may see differences by coach length. Learn about "specials" vs options. Many more choices than you are used to with Tiffin.

Discount will be determined by whether you want to shop locally or over a lorger area. One of the best dealers for price is Steinbring. If you are a full timer then having a dealer in another part of the country is not an issue. If bound to a home town then local service is a consideration.
Good luck and do your homework first.

Tom
Old 02-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
"Too far away" is a huge deal when you have issues. We bought from Independence RV and David Scott, and was very very happy, they run a first class operation. We have gone to the factory for our warranty issues because they are only 5 hours away. You won't go wrong with Newmar or Independence RV.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
If you actually are going to drive the motorhome - I wouldn't consider a Tiffin. Comfort Drive is the real thing - I owned a Dutch Star without it and when I got the Ventana LE and the now the Ventana - no comparison to driving them. People who tell you it doesn't make a difference - then they don't really drive their coach! If you drive it - you will notice it immediately - but you will feel it in about 4 hours! That’s the real difference. I understand that Entegra now offers something similar. I don't know how it works - but I can assuredly tell you that Comfort Drive is worth every penny it cost in my opinion.
Mickey, the electronic steering assist system Entegra is now installing on the Anthem and Cornerstone product lines is the same TRW system Newmar has been using for years.

Each RV manufacturer that’s installing the system calls it something different…

Newmar – Comfort Drive
Newell – EasiSteer
American Coach – UltraSteer
Entegra – EZ Steer

…but it’s the same TRW system in all cases.

There may be other manufacturers installing the system. The ones listed above are the ones I’m aware of. For what it's worth, I would expect Tiffin to start offering it on at least some of their product lines, now that all of their major competitors are doing so.

By the way, I liked your comment "If you drive it - you will notice it immediately - but you will feel it in about 4 hours!"
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Larry - Now that Entegra uses the Ken's TRW steering assist does that mean I can't talk you into a Newmar in your future? Come on over. ;>)
Hi to Amy.

Tom
Old 02-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
I had an Entegra salesman tell me that the EZ steer was the same as comfort drive. I asked him if that meant when I let go of the steering wheel the wheels would go back to center. He just kinda stared and said "uh, I don't know." It was at an indoor show otherwise I would have said, "Let's start it up to see." Maybe someone has tried it to see but I haven't yet.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, newmar