Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2022, 07:52 PM   #15

Nice to see you everywhere, Angie!
Sal
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2022, 08:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
Most people that debate the benefits of a tag axle generally come down to money. I frankly didn't understand the benefits until having. Big difference in stability.
Uh, everything comes down to money in some form. Its the old cost v benefit equation. Not suggesting that its was your implication, but I would say that I don't think its correct that tag v no tag comes down to those who can afford it and those that cant.

One thing that I have heard may times is how much more stable tag axles make coaches. Could be. Though I don't think I have every seen a comparison between a single axle coach and a tag axle coach that weighed the same to truly make that statement viable. Tax axles are there to support higher weights, which arguably adds a bunch of stability in and of itself. I dont think I have ever seen a road going vehicle built with a second rear axle strictly because it adds stability. They are added as a function of weight bearing.

Though with that said, having driven both a tag axle coach, and owning a non tag axle coach, I haven't ever really found myself wishing that I had a tag for the sake of it, regardless of the financial aspects.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:19 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do believe that Newmar is now in the Winnebago family. I'm pretty sure that's not a bonus to the mind of Newmar owners, but what it does is make you eligible, along with Country Coach, to attend the Winnebago Grand National Rally.
Lots of fun.
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/grand-national-rally

All you need to do is join the Winnebago International Travelers.
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/wit-club/join

We've gone several times and always had a great time. We hope to attend this year as well.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:45 AM   #18

Tag Axles

Plain and simple. We have had coaches with and without tag axles and we will never, ever own a coach without a tag. Tags are the absolute best for safety, weight and handling and anyone who tells you different just doesn’t know. Yes, most DP coaches out there are single axles but the coaches with tags will always be superior even though the overall cost is higher.
beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:34 PM   #19

Oh brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedub View Post
Plain and simple. We have had coaches with and without tag axles and we will never, ever own a coach without a tag. Tags are the absolute best for safety, weight and handling and anyone who tells you different just doesn’t know. Yes, most DP coaches out there are single axles but the coaches with tags will always be superior even though the overall cost is higher.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:44 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
Oh brother.
Relax Spike. You don't need to win. Does anybody really care that much anyway? People will buy what they want, for whatever reasons they have. Nobody will buy, or not buy, a tag axle based on this thread.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:15 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
In early 2021 we purchased a new Ventana 3709 with the 360/3000. It was a very nice coach however after about 8 months of ownership we came across a new 2021 Dutch Star 4081 and ended up selling the Ventana and buying the Dutch Star. We put almost 5,000 miles on the Ventana before making the change and in my opinion the tag is worth every penny. The stability is so much better. It seems to glide along at any speed. With respect to the extra tires, it’s not like they are the only tires on it. When the time comes to replace them it’s going to be expensive no matter how you shake it out.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #22

Actually, that was my entire point, thank you for reinforcing it. There is nothing to win. There is no superior, there is no plain and simple. There are only options and opinions, hence my "oh brother".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
Relax Spike. You don't need to win. Does anybody really care that much anyway? People will buy what they want, for whatever reasons they have. Nobody will buy, or not buy, a tag axle based on this thread.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedub View Post
Have to agree after owning both.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin