Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #1

Considering Patriot Blue Ox Brake Controller for toad

I went to our local shop that specializes in setting up MH and toads and they recommended a blue ox system to set up my 2012 Ford F150 for 4 wheel down towing. The brake controller they recommended was the Patriot by blue ox. I did a little research and there was quite a bit of negative feedback on the controller but it seems mostly from a few years back, which makes me wonder if there is a new version out. The shop said that is all they install and have had no problems with that controller, and if people had problems, it was set up or adjusted improperly. They also said that a fuse or two would need to be removed with the system when in use and my understanding was the F150 required nothing to be removed when in toad mode. Please share your experience with the blue OX Patriot brake controller and your recommendations on a brake controller. Thanks in advance.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Is this a F150 which has a transfer case and 4x4 ? If it's a regular rear wheel drive I think it may need a driveshaft disconnect installed.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #3

Go by what your Ford owners manual says about being towed and fuses. I don't know much about the Blue OX, but it is very similar to other portable units. I bought a used Roadmaster Brake Pro on eBay for a couple of hundred, plus shipping. There are plenty of Brake Pro, Brake Buddy, and similar that can be had for a good price. Some are new, some are used, some refurbished.

Unless you want to install the breakaway wire, there is nothing to install any of the portable units other than what you will have to do every time you use it. I may be living dangerously, but I chose not to install one. I figure a very strong base plate, tow bar, hitch, sturdy safety chains are good enough. Others may and will disagree.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #4

snowhawk2-

When I look at pages 282 and 283 of an online owner's manual I see nothing about pulling fuses. It has a specific caution against disconnecting the battery.

You might want to confirm with your paper manual. I'd ask the shop folks why the difference between what they tell you and the what is there. It may have to do with 12V requirements for the Patriot. If so, you'd want to satisfy those requirements without creating a system/method that runs counter to the Ford manual.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #5

I use a Blue Ox tow bar, but after doing quite a bit of research, I ended up buying the RVi 2 brake system, mostly because of it's actuation speed, compactness and it's wireless control/monitor system. It's very easy to set up and has worked flawlessly every time.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk2 View Post
I went to our local shop that specializes in setting up MH and toads and they recommended a blue ox system to set up my 2012 Ford F150 for 4 wheel down towing. The brake controller they recommended was the Patriot by blue ox. I did a little research and there was quite a bit of negative feedback on the controller but it seems mostly from a few years back, which makes me wonder if there is a new version out. The shop said that is all they install and have had no problems with that controller, and if people had problems, it was set up or adjusted improperly. They also said that a fuse or two would need to be removed with the system when in use and my understanding was the F150 required nothing to be removed when in toad mode. Please share your experience with the blue OX Patriot brake controller and your recommendations on a brake controller. Thanks in advance.

I have the Blue Ox Patriot proportional braking system towing a Honda Accord. System works great but I did add a deep cycle battery for the Patriot to draw power from rather than the car battery. On long trips with traffic it will draw down the car battery. I charge the deep cycle battery overnight at each stop.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We are satisfied users of a Patriot portable brake system (4 years going) for the following reasons;
1 uses electrical actuator vs pneumatic for more flexibility.
2 fully proportional and adjustable for both force and gain/sensitivity.
3 easily transferrable between vehicles.
4 great customer service.

The downsides;
Have to place it on the floor to use and then store it after.

Our setup (self installed) uses a fused 12v power lead from the motorhome (through the 6 wire tow umbilical) to provide separate power for the Patriot brake. Our 2002 4wd hi/lo Chev Trailblazer came new with no steering wheel lock and requires no fuse manipulation.

As stated earlier your tow vehicle requirements MUST come from the vehicle manufacturer and your State if you want to stay out of Jail. Be very cautious of the installers should you choose that route.

Cannot comment on the others as we have no direct experience.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

I use the Patriot brake system in our Jeep Wrangler. As stated, the only mod to the Jeep was installing the break-away switch.

As far as pulling fuses, this might be necessary if you have to turn the key to the "run" position to allow the steering to move while underway. Pulling the fuse keeps the battery from running down. Not an issue with the Jeep, but you need to check on the F-150.

I did have an issue with the "claw" that attaches to the brake pedal. On mine the piece that attaches to the operating rod came out. I called Blue Ox and they sent me a new one right away, no questions asked.

I have towed for 2 days without starting the Jeep, no issues with battery drain, it cranked right up. I understand that might be an issue with other cars.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I would "second" the RVI2 Brake System. Very easy to install and remove, proportional braking, real time feedback to the coach and it has integrated TPMS available for your Toad!
Old 02-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #10

I have the Patriot system and it works fine. I did have a problem with it the first time I used it. I did not set it up right. After that I have it set up the way it works best.

I have never had a problem with battery usage.

I made a wood platform for it to sit on for it stay in place. The first time it was not setting flat as my floor is not flat. Their CS is outstanding. I also have their tow bar and other equipment.

Steve
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #11

I am on my second Patriot. The internal battery on the first one cratered while on our trip to Alaska. Since returning it to BO for repair was not an option, they gave me a price I could not refuse on a new one and sent it to our next stop prepaid.
After our trip, I sent the old one back in as part of the deal.

The new unit has some software changes and a much improved claw to attach it to the brake pedal. Much easier set up than the previous model.
The only con is storing it when not in use but that is not a big deal, IMO,,,
Old 02-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Is this a F150 which has a transfer case and 4x4 ? If it's a regular rear wheel drive I think it may need a driveshaft disconnect installed.
it is a 4 X 4.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
snowhawk2-

When I look at pages 282 and 283 of an online owner's manual I see nothing about pulling fuses. It has a specific caution against disconnecting the battery.

You might want to confirm with your paper manual. I'd ask the shop folks why the difference between what they tell you and the what is there. It may have to do with 12V requirements for the Patriot. If so, you'd want to satisfy those requirements without creating a system/method that runs counter to the Ford manual.
Thanks and I will look into it.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #14

Thanks for the great information. It looks like the Patriot is a good option based on the feedback. I need to figure out the fuse issue.

Tags
blue ox, brake, toad