Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #1

Thumbs up converter replacement

I would like some input on the newer multistage converters. Are they worth the expense? If so which brand? my current converter is a 75 amp
model.
ktm500mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a good write up on a coversion upgrade that may help you with your question. Anything to help with batteries will help.
Another way would change batteries to AGM's less fuss and cleaner tray.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach came with the Iota DLS-55 converter/charger, same unit as featured in 007's link but higher amperage. I recently added the IQ4 smart charge controller ($27) mentioned at the end of the thread and have been extremely happy with the results. I now have a regulated 3 stage charging system which protects my batteries. Iota converters come in up to 90 amp units with or without the IQ4, but I would highly recommend the IQ4 version. IOTA Engineering DLS Series AC/DC Power Converters and Battery Chargers for 12VDC Systems
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
What is the make and model of your current converter?

If it is a Iota, look for what appears to be a phone jack on one of the sides. If it has the phone jack all you will need to do is purchase a Iota IQ4 Smart Charge Controller and plug it into the phone jack. The converter then becomes a multi-stage converter. In my experience it works well.

If you do not have the phone jack you will have to purchase another converter with the multi-stage charging feature.

Here is my experience with the IQ4 Smart charge Controller:

When I needed 4 new house batteries, I debated about getting 4 AGM batteries. But I decided to get another 4 Interstate U2200's.

However, at the same time I added the Iota IQ4 Smart Charge Controller ($36) that plugs into the Iota Converter. This has made a big difference in charging of the batteries. Prior to the Smart charger, I had to keep an eye on the battery fluid levels and deal with the out gassing associated with the charging of the batteries.

Now there is virtually no out gassing and I've not had to add any distilled water to any of the batteries during the last 6 months of continuous use.

This was alot less expensive solution than buying the AGM's.

Here's the IQ4: IQ Smart Charger for DLS Series Battery Chargers from IOTA Engineering

The IQ4 and converters can be purchased from one of the site sponsers, RVupgrades here: Electrical - Iota Converters
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am partial to Progressive Dynamics 9200 or Xantrex True Charge XADC (Or if you also need an inverter the Prosine 2.0)

These are true 3-stage + chargers (well the Prosine and PDI, not sure of the "+" on the XADC)

The plus is equalization

My coach came with a PDI, 9180 + charge wizard (Equal to the 9280) and a pair of Interstate U-2200's...

I read on these forums of folks with single stage battery killers that have to add water to their batteries every month or in some cases nearly every week.

I need to water mine every 12-14 MONTHS That is once a year.

It don't get much better than that.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #6

Thumbs up thx for replys

thx for the information. i prefer lead acid batteries. I am looking at either a itoa or progressive converter with multistage charging.
thx Mike
Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm told IOTA is a good one. .as I said though I have Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard and.. Frankly I'm impressed by it.

So that's my recommendation

It is 4 stage

If the batteries are low it will put out up to it's maximum rating.. as the batteries charge up it tapers off and lmiits voltage, once they are full it drops to the Float voltage for maintenance

The is the BULK, Absorption and .. Float stages

If it remains in float long enough (I think 20 hours) it goes into a brief "Equalize" cycle. This mixes up the electrolyte in the batteries, gasses them.. very slightly. Helps to clean off sulfication and such and insures all cells are FULLY charged.

This is also why I have to add water from time to time.. as I said, every 12-14 months.

I can not imagine better than that.

NOTE: The wizard is pre-set for Flooded wet cells, they do not make one for other types.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The IOTA with the IQ4 controller does the same thing only weekly (7 days) instead of after 20 hours. They operate basically the same, 3 stage and equalization. I'm sure either unit will serve you well.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 98 DSDP and it had 2 45 amp IOTA converters...they did not have the phone plug so to keep the same size units and up grade to 3 stage I bought 2 new 45 IOTAs and the smart charger...cost not bad, same size units, and upgraded charging with little or no water loss and better battery life...suggest that might be easiest way to go..my guess is you have limited room and probably same converter configuration as I do just a thought
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #10

Thumbs up converter replacement

I ended up buying a progressive 9280 wizzzard with the pendant.
it has a smaller foot print then my current converter and may leave enough room in the electrical box for a built in surge protector.
thanks to all for your input.
later mike
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh,, I should mention that I am biased toward Progressive Dyanmics

Some of my friends are connected to the company.. My mother did a consult for them when they were having computer problems. They are HQed in Marshall, Michigan, about 12 miles from Tekonsha (like the brake controller) where I grew up.

But that said.. When I did research into converters a few years ago I can honestly say I found none better.. Several as good, none better.