Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #1

Converting to "all electric" refrigerator?

Has anyone ever converted from an absorption refrigerator to a compressor (all electric household) version?

My folks 07 MADP has the dometic propane sidewise, it is an extremely expensive model (>$4500), but its performance leaves much to be desired.

I do not know what refrigerator is installed in an all electric coach, so for those of you who have them, what is it? Is it a compressor fridge, or is it just a electric absorption version? I see dometic makes an electric only version, but it is not a compressor type.

Is it the same dimensions?

How about the battery situation? I know the all electric has 8 agms, where are they installed? I don't seem to have any extra room in the battery compartment.

Currently my folks are heading toward the factory, and I didn't know if I should add this to the list.
CorporateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #2

We have a residential electric Maytag, model # MFI2067AES. Info at the following link:

Maytag: Refrigerators MFI2067AES

All eight of our AGMs fit in the battery compartment.

We love the large refrigerator.

Sue
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I have never converted to an all electric fridge, but I do know it is just like your home fridge with a compressor running on 120 Volt AC only. It will run only on your generator or shore power. Forget running it on batteries with an inverter,you would need a dozend of batteries !!!---And how would you recharge the batteries on the road ? ---with the generator. So an inverter does not make sense. If I ever need to replace my Dometic absorber fridge,my top choice is an ALL electric!
Siggy D.,05 Newmar KSDP,330 Cat
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #4

Don' t know about anyone else's coach, but our electric refrigerator and basement freezer run fine off the eight AGM batteries and the inverter all day long when we're on the road traveling, without the generator running and without solar panels

Just last week at the factory there weren't enough bays for all the coaches inside, so we were outside using just battery power for two full days. Joe and I were in the coach all day while the Newmar tech was working. That's 6am to 2pm. Most lights were on, the refrigerator, outside freezer and two 24" iMacs and several computer accessories were all being powered, just on the eight AGMs. On the second day when the tech needed to run a heavy duty sander, we did decide to start up the generator, but normally you wouldn't be running heavy duty power tools on battery power.

Sue
Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #5

I have done the math and household refer runs very well on 8 agms. While driving the alternator is putting out ~200amp to the batteries (~2.4kw).

Sue do you know by chance if your Maytag fridge is King Aire specific, or did come as an option on the Essex/MA?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateMonkey View Post
I have done the math and household refer runs very well on 8 agms. While driving the alternator is putting out ~200amp to the batteries (~2.4kw).

Sue do you know by chance if your Maytag fridge is King Aire specific, or did come as an option on the Essex/MA?
Glad to know the math works out. I believe the Maytag we have is only in the King Aire, but I would think you could get any refrigerator you wanted as long as there's room for it and you're willing to pay, especially since the service dept has started doing retail work. North Trail has pics of several coaches on their site and I looked at some pics of one of the Essex's and the refrigerator looks like it might be a Frigidaire:

http://www.northtrailrv.com/images/units/42490-full.jpg

The build a coach feature on Lee's RV website might mention the brand in the Essex and Mountain Aire.

Sue
Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #7

That is what I was afraid of...

I have looked at the Frigidaire and it is quite a bit taller. Currently the cabinet above the fridge is plumb full of A/V equipment.
I guess I will have to wait until they get to the factory.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
That is what I was afraid of...

I have looked at the Frigidaire and it is quite a bit taller. Currently the cabinet above the fridge is plumb full of A/V equipment.
I guess I will have to wait until they get to the factory.
Don't know the model, but in the following picture there's a cabinet that looks to be about the size of ours above the refrigerator.

http://www.northtrailrv.com/images/units/42461-full.jpg

Sue
Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #9

Our 06 Essex has a residential model Frigidaire. In 06 the cabinets are below the refer and it sits higher. In 07 they eliminated the cabinets below and added some above where they relocated the AV equipment. You should be able to insatll a residential refer by elmininating any cabinets under the current refer and leave the ones above with the AV stuff.

We can operate overnight on inverter on our 8 AGM batteries. Six of them are located on a slide our tray just forward of the chassis batteries and the remaining two AGM's.

You may need a larger inverter than the one you have to handle the bigger electric draw.

Once having the all electric coach I would not want to go back to propane.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #10

I didn't think about the raise floor portion. When I did the LCD lift I had to run all the cables (about 3in thick bundle) under the fridge raised section. It was a huge pain as the washer had to come out to gain access.

As for inverter power, that was the first upgrade I did. For some reason their MADP came with a MSW magnum inverter. I changed it for a pure sine wave and ebayed the old one.

For the batteries, are you saying the all electric only has 6 house batteries +2 chassis? Or is it 8 +2?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:26 AM   #11

I was at newmar the last 2 weeks and proposed the same question to the techs.We have a 07' 4104 essex dual use dometic with the a/v rack above fridge.If you don't have a pure sine wave inverter you will need one.They are quoting prices on the fridgeadare side by side adding 2 more agm's for about 8900.00 dollars not including inverter.WOW I think i will wait to do this on my next coach.!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #12

You might want to look at Energy Star rated refrigerators since they're the most efficient.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
For the batteries, are you saying the all electric only has 6 house batteries +2 chassis? Or is it 8 +2?
The all-electric KGDB has 8 + 3. It takes a lot of juice to turn over that ISX engine.

joe
Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #14

When we returned from Hawaii in April we found our NorCold 14.4 refridgerator went south and almost burned up our 05 DSDP. Instead of repairing, if possible, for $800 plus or replacing for $4,000 I optioned to install a residential refridge. Got up to Ohio and ordered a counter depth 23.3 cf Whirlpool from Lowes. Had to do some alterations to the cabinet to fit it in, but now it looks like it came from the factory. I used the old trim from the absorption refridge. Works great. Crushed / cubed ice and cold water thru the door. As far as traveling, any good refridgerator will stay cold for 24 or more hours. If need be, we can always run the gen set on the way.
I also replaced the 32" over dash TV with a 40" HDTV that also required a little alteration to the cabinet. But not enough that a halfway capable person can't do. It just takes time and planning and always measure twice and cut once. Or measure three times if needed.
shadrack is offline   Reply With Quote