Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
I cook outside a bit using either using a backpacking stove or an electric griddel. The stove and gas can goes back in a tote in the stoarge bay, the griddel goes back in the coach. We also have a portable bbq but does not get used much.

We bring a lot of meals that was prepared at home. Lasanga, pulled pork etc.
We also have been using the food saver at home to think of food for camping as in leftovers. We plan next late summer to start full timing and sell the house so that will change my thinking but we will make room for the food saver as it is a great tool for making our own frozen foods.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #16

99% cooking outside (at home it’s almost as much). Have a Davy Crockett pellet cooker and s Camp chef 3 burner stove with flattop in the camper...can cook anything I need to on those two units. Downside is they r big and heavy, but worth the trade off for me/us
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #17

We are beginners compared to most here but we do a lot of cooking outside on the grill and the single burner electric stove. We have a new micro/convection oven that we are dabbling in also. We cook bagged veggies in the microwave. With so many cooking options it's a workout to plan meals ahead of time and how they will be cooked. On our recent 7 day trip we brought back enough left overs to feed us the next week ;-)

On this last trip we experimented with crock pot meals - that worked out great, easy and no mess with crock pot liners. I bought a vacuum bagger and will experiment with making our meals ahead of time. I think you can cook them in a pot of boiling water.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
One of the things we really love is homemade pizza. This little Pronto cooks fresh pizza absolutely perfectly. We’ve been carrying it for 5-6 years now and use it often. Get a Lot of interest when it’s being used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BA5EDFA-AA1A-49BE-8452-3275CE28B7E7.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	218342  
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We equally do both and many times a combination of the two, i.e. inside stove top or microwave/convection oven or even some countertop appliances i.e. slow cooker and rice cooker we use along with our gas grille, electric fryer or our electric griddle outside.

We do not fry anything inside the coach including bacon.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My microwave/convection is a Sharp Carousel with two round racks, a high and a low. I took the black BBQ mat material (sold everywhere) and cut two circles out that were just about a half inch larger than the racks. I place the mat on the rack and the weight of the meat, makes the edge of the mat flare up just a smidge, making a bowl that keeps all the juices in while you cook. To keep from making a mess while taking the food out, I hold a plate near the edge of the mat and slide the mat onto the plate.

The microwave stays clean and we wash the mats off in the sink. When we travel, I lift the microwave turn table and place the mats under the turntable. It keeps it from rattling.

https://www.amazon.com/Grillaholics-...mats+for+grill
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #21

[QUOTE=Dutch Star Don;4392590]My microwave/convection is a Sharp Carousel with two round racks, a high and a low. I took the black BBQ mat material (sold everywhere) and cut two circles out that were just about a half inch larger than the racks. I place the mat on the rack and the weight of the meat, makes the edge of the mat flare up just a smidge, making a bowl that keeps all the juices in while you cook. To keep from making a mess while taking the food out, I hold a plate near the edge of the mat and slide the mat onto the plate.

The microwave stays clean and we wash the mats off in the sink. When we travel, I lift the microwave turn table and place the mats under the turntable. It keeps it from rattling.

OK that makes more sense. Ours has a metal rack that you put in for convection cooking. If I just put the mat on that it would a big mess. I would just put it on a cookie tray and that would work.

That brings up another question that I have. Does everyone take out the glass tray and wheel support in the microwave when you use it for the convection oven? I couldn't ever get a firm answer in the past with our previous coach so I have always taken them out and put in the rack when I wanted to convection bake.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #22

I cook outside essentially 100% of the time. Since we went to an all electric coach, I've changed the appliances I use to cook. I have a electric griddle, electric Aussie BBQ grill, air fryer,induction cook top, slow cooker and a setup to use the slow cooker for sous vide.
I have a folding table it all fits on and slides underneath the passenger side slide out. In addition to the scare light, I put in 2 bullet LED lights in the outside entertainment center that I can point at the grill/table during evening cooking hours.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have a two hob portable induction unit built in to the MH, replaced a two burner propane cooktop, a single hob portable induction unit and a Magma grill. Used the grill and portable induction unit once last year.
I guess I should add that my late wife's favorite order for dinner was "Reservations for two" since she had worked all her life and wanted time for herself. Now that she's gone I don't feel much like cooking for just myself so use the microwave a lot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Typically, there are two types of convection racks, a flat one that clips into the four corners and round racks that sit on the turntable. Obviously, on ours with the round racks, we leave the turntable in. I think on the flat rack type, there is no need to remove the turntable. Our home microwave/convection oven has the flat rack. I leave the turntable in when we use the rack. I may turn the turntable off, but see no need to remove it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Typically, there are two types of convection racks, a flat one that clips into the four corners and round racks that sit on the turntable. Obviously, on ours with the round racks, we leave the turntable in. I think on the flat rack type, there is no need to remove the turntable. Our home microwave/convection oven has the flat rack. I leave the turntable in when we use the rack. I may turn the turntable off, but see no need to remove it.
Thanks for clarifying that. We have always removed it when using it as an oven. I won't go to the trouble anymore. I am using the convection more for reheating food as in most cases it has much better texture than microwaving it.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #26

In our recently sold Southwind I built a pull out shelf for the Weber. Could go from in the cabinet to heating in 1 minute. Don't know if our CS on order will have a compartment that will work like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Grill 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	218545  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #27

Where did you get the slide out tray? Who makes it?
ssonthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
One of the things we really love is homemade pizza. This little Pronto cooks fresh pizza absolutely perfectly. We’ve been carrying it for 5-6 years now and use it often. Get a Lot of interest when it’s being used.
I’ve been looking for a pizza solution that will fit in the basement, thanks for sharing!